Homebrew Homebrew Development

MemoryController

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
I feel awful asking a question like this... I know the "right" answer is RTFM and try it yourself, but still... I can't give it a go just yet and maybe somebody has already tried it.

Has anybody found success building 3DS homebrew on a Linux environment?

I've fucked with devkitpro and Cygwin and friends on Windows plenty of times. It always seems to bring me misery. For me, trying to write and (more importantly) compile C on Windows tends to bring pain, whereas Linux brings joy. So, has anybody here gotten a working 3DS toolchain on Linux?

T-thanks...

You're one of the users I keep seeing around all of these ninjhax/homebrew threads. And one of the ones who seem to actually be interested in homebrew, where "homebrew" isn't just a euphemism for "playin mah 'backup' ROMzorz lol", and you seem like a cool person. Several people here seem like they're cool people--they know who they are.

I guess I just wanted to say--to you and everybody who actually cares about homebrew--cheers! I'm excited to have a chance at being a part of maybe not-fucking-up the scene; the 3DS could have a good one. :grog:
Checkout http://3dbrew.org/wiki/Setting_up_Development_Environment

I have posted instructions for Linux there.

Oak

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
A n64 emulator on the new 3ds will be awesome. The future of 3ds homebrew is so exciting!!!

AlbertoSONIC

Pasta Team Member
Trophies
Website
www.albertosonic.com
XP
Country
Italy
Guys should we define some kind of graphics design guide line? Something like this: http://www.google.com/design/spec/material-design/introduction.html

I think that a standard design applied to every homebrew around here would be great. We should choose how the status bar should be, buttons, colors (if the background is blue, the status bar has to be dark blue, for example) and everything else!

Reactions: MemoryController

filfat

CTO @ Nordcom Group Inc.
Trophies
Website
www.sweetsideofsweden.com
XP
Country
Sweden
Guys should we define some kind of graphics design guide line? Something like this: http://www.google.com/design/spec/material-design/introduction.html

I think that a standard design applied to every homebrew around here would be great. We should choose how the status bar should be, buttons, colors (if the background is blue, the status bar has to be dark blue, for example) and everything else!
That would be great, as long as we go for modern or flat im okay :)

Reactions: AlbertoSONIC

AlbertoSONIC

Pasta Team Member
Trophies
Website
www.albertosonic.com
XP
Country
Italy
Yeah i agree. Something like Android Lollipop's Material Design...
126a4d496878a10176b58c8a4e855a40.jpg

Reactions: filfat

Duo8

Trophies
XP
Country
Vietnam
An UI lib would be convenience but I think devs should be encouraged to create their own UI instead. This is a game console, not a smartphone. There's no need to make every app exactly like each other.

Reactions: NEP and filfat

filfat

CTO @ Nordcom Group Inc.
Trophies
Website
www.sweetsideofsweden.com
XP
Country
Sweden
An UI lib would be convenience but I think devs should be encouraged to create their own UI instead. This is a game console, not a smartphone. There's no need to make every app exactly like each other.
True, but it would make it easier to use for the end user. Anyways im going to go for one design and stick with it for all the future hb Projects i might be working on :)

Stalkid64

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Odd little quirk I just ran into that might help some people.
I was having mysterious issues with "make" failing, even on things that built before.

Turns out that even using the very latest devkitPro updater, and despite the tutorials saying `just install devkitpro from the latest installer` you actually need to manually expand the list and tick the box under devkitarm to get libctru. It IS NOT checked by default like everything else, even when devkitarm is, and won't be installed unless you change it yourself.

mvmiranda

Trophies
Website
www.gamemod.com.br
XP
Country
Brazil
I'm trying to compile BlargSnes and so far I've pretty much had every type of error you can possibly imagine :P

I've (probably) sorted them already but I just hit one I can't imagine how to sort now. Any clues on what I'm doing wrong?
Am I using the wrong version of aemstro_as.py? Or anything else?
$ make -f ../marcusvm/Makefile
final.vsh
python /aemstro_as.py /home/marcusvm/data/final.vsh ../final.vsh.shbin
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "C:/Users/USER/Downloads/3DS/Toolchain/msys/aemstro_as.py", line 464
, in <module>
parseLine(dvlb.getDVLP(), dvle, line, False)
File "C:/Users/USER/Downloads/3DS/Toolchain/msys/aemstro_as.py", line 442
, in parseLine
dirList[name](dvlp, dvle, r.group(2))
File "C:/Users/USER/Downloads/3DS/Toolchain/msys/aemstro_as.py", line 353
, in parseConst
dvle.addConstantF((int(s[0],0), float(s[1]), float(s[2]), float(s[3]), float
(s[4])))
File "C:/Users/USER/Downloads/3DS/Toolchain/msys/aemstro_as.py", line 45,
in addConstantF
self._const.append((const[0]<<16, toFloat24(const[1]), toFloat24(const[2]),
toFloat24(const[3]), toFloat24(const[4])))
File "C:/Users/USER/Downloads/3DS/Toolchain/msys/aemstro_as.py", line 10,
in toFloat24
s=f[3]>>7
TypeError: unsupported operand type(s) for >>: 'str' and 'int'
make[1]: *** [final.vsh.o] Error 1
make: *** [build] Error 2

marcusvm@L1BFCHV ~
$

EDIT:
Will it be the python version I'm using? I'm using 2.7.8. Do I need 3.4 to compile 3DS homebrews?

YourNerdyJoe

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
yournerdyjoe.github.io
XP
Country
United States
I'm trying to compile BlargSnes and so far I've pretty much had every type of error you can possibly imagine :P

I've (probably) sorted them already but I just hit one I can't imagine how to sort now. Any clues on what I'm doing wrong?
Am I using the wrong version of aemstro_as.py? Or anything else?

EDIT:
Will it be the python version I'm using? I'm using 2.7.8. Do I need 3.4 to compile 3DS homebrews?

I'm pretty sure you need to use 3.4 with aemstro

Reactions: mvmiranda

hippy dave

BBMB
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Urgh, another python version. I just installed 2.7 the other day for something else. Guess it can keep my laptop busy while I try and sleep. Actually fuck it, will leave it until I can be bothered to check out backward compatibility n shit. Can compile the examples that don't use shaders, so I doubt it will be immediately necessary for my first simple stuff.

Helreizer543

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey I have a quick question. I'm trying to write homebrew in c++, I was writing it in C but I'm not to comfortable with C, and I'm having trouble with my compiler and the function "u8* gfxGetFramebuffer(gfxScreen_t screen, gfx3dSide_t side, u16* width, u16* height);" . basically I want to draw to the bottom screen so I use screenBottom = gfxGetFramebuffer(GFX_BOTTOM, GFX_BOTTOM, NULL, NULL); and it doesn't work. can anyone point me in the right direction? please?

--edit

I'm sorry. I am a little tired basically what i want to do is clear the frame buffer not draw on the screen. using c++

xem

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Hey I have a quick question. I'm trying to write homebrew in c++, I was writing it in C but I'm not to comfortable with C, and I'm having trouble with my compiler and the function "u8* gfxGetFramebuffer(gfxScreen_t screen, gfx3dSide_t side, u16* width, u16* height);" . basically I want to draw to the bottom screen so I use screenBottom = gfxGetFramebuffer(GFX_BOTTOM, GFX_BOTTOM, NULL, NULL); and it doesn't work. can anyone point me in the right direction? please?

--edit

I'm sorry. I am a little tired basically what i want to do is clear the frame buffer not draw on the screen. using c++

Hello,
take a look at this function: http://xem.github.io/3DShomebrew/doxygen/gfx_8c.html#aa8cba9e292462f55e7e90cea5ff79e26

Its job is to clear the 3 framebuffers (top left top right and bottom)

Try to use the 3rd line to clear bottom only.

http://xem.github.io/3DShomebrew/doxygen/gfx_8c_source.html#l00144

Helreizer543

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    ubisoft should #stopkillinggames ngl
  • Badcatalex @ Badcatalex:
    sony should #stopkillinggames
  • Badcatalex @ Badcatalex:
    they killed LittleBigPlanet online, which was the main core of every LBP game
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    for real
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    at least with them, it was because of the DDOS attacks, ubisoft was just scummy
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    fuck ubisoft, and fuck activision
    +1
  • realtimesave @ realtimesave:
    Nintendo needs to release a new console, switch is getting such shitty little games lately lol it's pathetic
  • Purple_Heart @ Purple_Heart:
    Lmao a new flashcart... The Unlock Switch... I knew it's not fake xD
    +1
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    A new consoles won't solve that problem
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    It will actually make it worse
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    well actually
    a new console won't do anything right now, because the games are still in development, that's why there are few games being released
    it won't make the games finish any faster
  • Veho @ Veho:
    2/3rds of launch titles for the Switch 2 will just be lazy ports of Switch games anyway.
    probably
    maybe mario kart 9 will be a launch title
    i really want a new mario kart
  • Veho @ Veho:
    What, you mean the endless stream of DLCs doesn't count?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Why develop a new game when you can just sell season passes forever?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I'm still on MKDS so I'm not bothered :tpi:
    i like the dlc tbh, i'd like a new game more
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    but the current version is still selling fine at full price
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Hello
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    sup
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @realtimesave, You seen the Unlock Switch flashcart yet?
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @realtimesave, You seen the Unlock Switch flashcart yet?