• NO

Votes: 19 37.3%

• Total voters

JacksonS

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Looks like the recovery mode on the 3DS, which tries to update the system in case something's corrupted and it can't boot.

D

Deleted User

OP
From what one of the team members of the reswitch Discord said it's a USB debug mode

SimonMKWii

Professional Idiot
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
I am almost 100% sure it is not a USB debug mode, as that would make it way too easy for hackers to read/write files from NAND and load exploits.

Nintendo isn't that dumb.

EDIT: It likely just forces the Switch to install a firmware update from an inserted cartridge.

Last edited by SimonMKWii,
Reactions: BvanBart
D

Deleted User

OP

Attachments

• SmartSelectImage_2017-12-02-23-54-06.png
    SmartSelectImage_2017-12-02-23-54-06.png
    21.9 KB · Views: 1,206

guily6669

GbaTemp is my Drug
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I am almost 100% sure it is not a USB debug mode, as that would make it way too easy for hackers to read/write files from NAND and load exploits.

Nintendo isn't that dumb.

EDIT: It likely just forces the Switch to install a firmware update from an inserted cartridge.
Yeah, Im thinking a gaming company maker specially nowadays, I don't think they would put a combination of button presses to make it debug :(.

But it's interesting, if anyone finds out what it is, plz report here.

mikey420

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's not impossible that it's a debug mode. I mean the communication protocol could certainly be protected by some form of encryption. And if that's indeed what this is I'm sure it's not unprotected.

D

Deleted User

OP
To me I just find it interesting I don't feel like it will lead to anything major unless Nintendo really fucks up

badpix11

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Serbia, Republic of
It's not impossible that it's a debug mode. I mean the communication protocol could certainly be protected by some form of encryption. And if that's indeed what this is I'm sure it's not unprotected.

It's the safe mode, you can check the documentation here: http://switchbrew.org/index.php?title=Boot
The Switch has an anti-downgrade check and you can't upload unsigned FW anyway.

Reactions: Deleted User

mikey420

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's the safe mode, you can check the documentation here: http://switchbrew.org/index.php?title=Boot

Thank you for the info and we'll yeah it's using efuses to prevent a downgrade either through hardware or software. As for an unsigned FW ha I know Nintendo has messed up in the past with signing software and such. (See for example the trucha signing bug on the Wii) but I'd like to think they wouldn't repeat there mistakes with newer devices. Though I at the same time kind of wish they would lol.

Reactions: Deleted User

boscocraftXD

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Great. we have safe mode... but I'm wondering something.... I remember when we got the kernel, and when pegaswitch actually worked on 3.0.0 people were talking about downgrading and how eFuses were able to be bypassed if you had the root keys and I think trustzone... could those be implied here to create a possible exploit, or is this just wishful thinking?

D

Deleted User

OP
Great. we have safe mode... but I'm wondering something.... I remember when we got the kernel, and when pegaswitch actually worked on 3.0.0 people were talking about downgrading and how eFuses were able to be bypassed if you had the root keys and I think trustzone... could those be implied here to create a possible exploit, or is this just wishful thinking?
I feel like this is more of wishful thinking because Nintendo wouldn't leave a massive vulnerability in a menu like that and only Nintendo has the keys to do everything with the switch unless it's somehow hackers figure it's out but until then I feel like this menus probably not going to be used but but if Nintendo patches this menu out in a firmware update then maybe there is something there because the menu itself works on 4.01but on earlier versions it doesn't work

APartOfMe

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Can't hear you in the video (and i have a bad English).
Can you give the combo in text please ?
  1. power completely off
  2. hold the volume down button
  3. while still holding volume down, hold power
  4. let go of volume down, but not power
  5. while still holding power, hold volume up
  6. let go of power, but not volume up
  7. A second after the Nintendo logo appears, let go of volume up

Last edited by APartOfMe,

machinoman

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
  1. power completely off
  2. hold the volume down button
  3. while still holding volume down, hold power
  4. let go of volume down, but not power
  5. while still holding power, hold volume up
  6. let go of power, but not volume up
  7. when the Nintendo logo appears, let go of volume up

Although, don't let go of volume up immediately upon seeing the Nintendo logo. You need to wait a full second or so.

Shadd

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Boot doesn't necessarily mean that it's this combo. From what I read is that it runs at boot and checks and changes a few things before startup. This is a potential exploit and needs just a bit more research. Let's have our fingers crossed.

Reactions: MadMageKefka

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: https://i.imgur.com/kTzpzBF.mp4