Hi-Resolution DS Emulation

Discussion in 'NDS - Emulation and Homebrew' started by loco365, Apr 10, 2014.

1. loco365
    OP

loco365 GBAtemp Guru

Sep 1, 2010
    So I was going around on the Google Machine last night, and found out some awesome bootleg games and eventually, this. Some user of Desmume decided to make a modified build that renders high resolution versions of your favorite DS games. Here's one screenshot to show you the stark difference:

[​IMG]
    Want the build of Desmume that includes hi-res? Go nuts:
    32-bit and 64-bit builds: http://shikaver01.webcrow.jp/desmume_x432r/index.html

However, SoftRasterizer is the best option to use at the moment. OpenGL is currently semi-broken with this and seems to only work with some games.

To enable Hi-Res:
    1. Start Desmume
    2. Go to Config -> High Resolution 3D Renderer, then choose from X2, X3, or X4, you can play with the other settings to your liking
    3. ???
    4. Profit!

Last edited by loco365, Nov 10, 2015

2. Harsky

Harsky Madmin

Aug 2, 2004
    Tried it out and yes, it does look much nicer but be warned that even with a core i7, using x4 option will cause the game to slow down considerably.

WiiCube_2013 and TotalInsanity4 like this.
  3. Clydefrosch

Clydefrosch GBAtemp Psycho!

Jan 2, 2009
    Gambia, The
    well, i knew that most games were somewhat getting downgraded due to the limits in resolution, but thats quite the difference.

Orangy57 likes this.
  4. Riyaz

Riyaz Black Ace/Red Joker

Jun 21, 2011
    Netherlands
    everywhere
    it is pretty awesome, only problem i have is a little bit of a sound glitch but nothing major :D

5. cearp

cearp the ticket master

May 26, 2008
    Tuvalu
    wow, i thought this might be something like n64 emulators, where you have to provide the textures, but this is simply from the existing resources? very cool! :)

6. porkiewpyne

porkiewpyne Report-er

Global Moderator
    Jun 8, 2008
    Australia
    This is certainly impressive.

That said, I think this will put my poor computer under quite a bit of stress ;O; LOL

7. Fishaman P

Fishaman P Speedrunner

Jan 2, 2010
    United States
    Wisconsin
    You guys should know that the provided screenshot is a best-case scenario. Very few games will see that much improvement.
    These are more realistic.

8. porkiewpyne

porkiewpyne Report-er

Global Moderator
    Jun 8, 2008
    Australia
    ^Still looks pretty damn good to me tbh

9. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    I saw some theoretical discussion a while back, I did not know someone had pushed forward with it.

Not bad, I did not realise how much the devs had abused the lower res/muddy nature of things in textures. That said some of the 2d overlay stuff looks to have been somewhat improved so I am still going to be a bit hesitant.

I suppose now we have to adapt this to allow for better textures.

Tomato Hentai likes this.
  10. Starry Windy

Starry Windy Member

Newcomer
    Feb 28, 2014
    Indonesia
    Migrating to Alola Region
    This is a nice find Team Fail, now the images in the game are crisper, kudos to you :)

I got that sound glitch too, but that's no big deal, I can get rid of that glitch by using Synchronous (sometimes needed in streams) instead of Dual SPU Synch/Asynch in the Sound Settings. (it might become slower on some old PCs though)

EDIT: I make a picture of comparison as well.
    [​IMG]

B4rtj4h, matpower, Dartz150 and 3 others like this.
  11. Hydrazine

Hydrazine Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Mar 19, 2014
    Canada
    It runs really slow on software rendering though. Running the intro of Spirit Tracks to test. On 4x rendering, it doesn't even go half of full speed. On 3x, it goes two-thirds full speed, still unplayable. On 2x, it runs full speed mostly, but 2x doesn't improve the look too much, and is not as drastic as those screenshots you posted. Running on an overclocked i5-2550k 4.5 GHz too.

akaSM likes this.
  12. Foxi4

Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip Reporter
    Sep 13, 2009
    Poland
    Gaming Grotto
    Higher native resolution makes a substantial difference, it looks great. Some games will probably run into issues with texture stretching and whatnot, but nevertheless, the quality on the presented screenshots speaks for itself.

13. tofast4u

tofast4u GBAtemp Fan

Dec 2, 2012
    United States
    I want to see one with Pokemon Black

14. guard

guard Member

Newcomer
    Mar 15, 2014
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    Pokemon White 2 - Off/On 4x (unplayable). Not worth it for this game IMO.

15. Ammako

Ammako GBAtemp Guru

Dec 22, 2009
    Canada
    I think it's not worth it for any of the Pokémon gaems, given the amount of 2D sprites they use.

Either way, eventually we'll have affordable computers which will be able to handle this, so it'll be pretty good once we get there.

By the way, OpenGL renderer works pretty damn well with Phantom Hourglass; constant 60FPS on x4 internal resolution should be easily achievable if you have a higher end machine (I have a mobile i5 at 2.6GHz with nvidia 660M and x4 runs at almost 60FPS with OpenGL renderer, nearly constant 60FPS with x3; imagine with a high-end desktop i7 and a high-end gpu.)

But yeah, it's nice and all but it doesn't increase the resolution of 2D sprite objects, so you have semi-high res 3D environment and then you have low-res 2D barrels and bushes everywhere.

Tomato Hentai and akaSM like this.
  16. emmanu888

emmanu888 6 years and still going strong

Jan 25, 2009
    Canada
    Victoriaville,Québec

Guess my Phenom II X6 and my Geforce GTX450 can't keep up with the X4 resolution. Games are painfully slow on my rig

17. vayanui8

vayanui8 GBAtemp Maniac

Nov 11, 2013
    United States
    I've been wanting to be able to amp the graphics on DS games to a high resolution for ages. My main gripe with the system is the way the 3d models look, and this completely fixes them. Absolutely amazing how well this works. I'm getting great performance from it as well

18. Ammako

Ammako GBAtemp Guru

Dec 22, 2009
    Canada
    Do you have this option enabled?

Warning: Spoilers inside!

19. BORTZ

BORTZ "Another stunning Van Gogh"

Supervisor
    Dec 2, 2007
    United States
    Pittsburgh
    Can anyone be assed to show me what Dragon Quest Monsters Joker 1 or 2 looks like?

Celice likes this.
  20. loco365
    OP

loco365 GBAtemp Guru

Sep 1, 2010
    +1 for Dynamic Recompiler. It lets the regular Desmume run nicely on my laptop. Unfortunately, I only have an i3 dual-core, so I'd have to stick to 2X in order to even be playable. I tried 4X, and while CoreTemp did register my computer at about 63 degrees Celsius, it only ran at about 50%. Even with Dynamic Recompiler.

Raylight likes this.