Hardware Here's What The Nintendo Switch Day-One Update Does

WiiuGold

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Here's What The Nintendo Switch Day-One Update Does
The eShop and more is locked without a system update.

Ahead of its launch Next week, we've gotten our hands on a Nintendo Switch, and you can check out all of coverage so far here. But the system doesn't yet have all of its launch-day functionality in place, and it won't until next week.

Nintendo plans to release a day-one update for the system--although, despite the name, it's slated to arrive "just prior" to launch on March 3. Here's what it enables, according to Nintendo:

• Access to network features, such as Nintendo eShop, online gameplay, ability to share images to social media, etc.
    • Ability to link Nintendo Accounts to your Nintendo Switch console.
    • Ability to connect online using hotspots that require authentication, such as at a hotel or café. A web applet will open up so the user can sign-in or accept terms of use.
Those are some key features that we don't currently have access to. And while connecting to hotspots may not be a concern for many, this update will be important for doing so, as the system doesn't launch with a browser, as past Nintendo systems have.

Once it's released, Nintendo says the update seamlessly downloads in the background. It's "designed to install quickly and doesn't disrupt gameplay."

One thing the update doesn't include is access to the Virtual Console, which won't be available at launch. Online functionality will also be somewhat limited at first. We know Nintendo doesn't plan on charging for its subscription service until later this year, when it will implement voice chat and monthly game downloads.

Reactions: zoogie

chartube12

Captain Chaz 86
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
In related news. An India focused direct is happening on the 28th of feb. Supposedly the switch is going to have at least 12 India titles on launch day. Ocean horn and stardew valley possibly amoung them? Day one updated is required to launch the titles...i don't understand why that piece of info is included since you can not even launch the eshop without it.

Reactions: zoogie

ut2k4master

Lord Tourettes
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
In related news. An India focused direct is happening on the 28th of feb. Supposedly the switch is going to have at least 12 India titles on launch day. Ocean horn and stardew valley possibly amoung them? Day one updated is required to launch the titles...i don't understand why that piece of info is included since you can not even launch the eshop without it.
indie*

xile6

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wonder how long it will take before we get a DNS that blocks that...
Simply cut the internet all together lol.
But yea we knew this was coming.
Im sure all the game and system updates will download in the background when the system hits the internet.
I dont see how you can install an OS update if your running the OS or game for that matter. So you would have to reboot for it to update.
It would probably be one of those things where it updates as soon as you reboot the system.

I also heard that you can share game update and patches if your doing a local play game.

TheCyberQuake

Certified Geek
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So, kinda like the screenshot sharing for Miiverse? But with no Miiverse.
It's essentially what the youtube app on 3ds does. It's a web "browser" that you can't control and only opens specific pages when a developer wants to or your switch needs to authenticate a hotspot.
Though that would mean IF any exploit were available in the applet, you could THEORETICALLY use DNS to change the page the web applet goes to, or maybe you could modify an old router to fake authentication and forward it. And I made sure to CAPS important things like IF because if I don't people will blow up this page with "hacks confirmed"

TheCyberQuake

Certified Geek
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It doesn't take long at all, it's just if there is a use for it.
Just because based on the wording we can somewhat assume it will automatically download AND install updates, some people will want DNS blocking just so they can choose whether or not they want to update. I'm guessing they are basically forcing updates because of the Wii U and 3ds.

Sonic Angel Knight

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
*Demands web browser* :creep:

I bet they decided not to use one, cause they can't program a good one like sony or microsoft..... or cause exploits :P

But then again, most sites use flash and mobile flash is very neglected even on cellphone. (Thanks adobe) Anyway i just wish there was one. Not having one is like very bad considering it's 2017 and most mobile devices have one. Now we have to look forward to possible youtube, netflix, hulu, amazon, vudu, flix and other such streaming apps, if it can't even play video, i think wii u still may be just a bit better in term of casual overall use. :wtf:

D

Deleted User

I bet they decided not to use one, cause they can't program a good one like sony or microsoft..... or cause exploits :P
Hey the wii browser was the best damn Nintendo browser out there and sites have been being more mobile friendly in this day and age lol. Have you tried going onto youtube back in early days and NOW? It has changed very much. Sites are catching up alot with mobile browsers

Reactions: TotalInsanity4
D

Deleted User

But then again, most sites use flash and mobile flash is very neglected even on cellphone. (Thanks adobe) Anyway i just wish there was one. Not having one is like very bad considering it's 2017 and most mobile devices have one. Now we have to look forward to possible youtube, netflix, hulu, amazon, vudu, flix and other such streaming apps, if it can't even play video, i think wii u still may be just a bit better in term of casual overall use. :wtf:

I think it's useless they remove the web browser because with this update there will be a "web applet" when trying to log through a public wi-fi ! (So i'm sure it would be possible to make our own web applet with our wi-fi so the hacker could try to find exploit on it )

FF777

人を呪わば穴二つ
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If one were to buy a Switch solely for the purpose of sitting it on a shelf some where until homebrew and other things are able to be hacked on to it (probably years later), do you think it would be most beneficial to apply the day-one update first before shelving it, or to not update it at all?..

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: sure, it can be hands free