Hacking Help with Gateway for New 3DS XL

The760

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I finally got a New 3DS XL by selling my Old 3DS XL today, and I have a Gateway. Unfortunately, the New 3DS came with 9.5 even though it was brand new in the box. Is there any way for me to use my Gateway at all, or even rxTools?

goober

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nope. The only thing you can use is Sky3DS and ninjhax 2.0 and whatever smealum is up to next which the requirements should be stated a couple hours from now. It's also worth noting that, for now, even if you did get a 9.0-9.2 New 3DS XL you'd still need Cubic Ninja to make it so you could use your gateway.

The760

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nope. The only thing you can use is Sky3DS and ninjhax 2.0 and whatever smealum is up to next which the requirements should be stated a couple hours from now. It's also worth noting that, for now, even if you did get a 9.0-9.2 New 3DS XL you'd still need Cubic Ninja to make it so you could use your gateway.
Aw man, I'm really dissapointed now haha. I guess I just have to wait until an exploit comes out from the Gateway team. In terms of what smea is revealing, will it have any hope in giving me a way to make my Gateway work?

tipsytoto

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you just got it today, return it? Surely there is a 30 day return policy or something? Shop around for a 9.2 n3ds. Walmarts are cool. If it was a gamestop trade in, you're out of luck, they only accept one for one returns, no store credit etc if you've opened it already.

The760

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I actually did get it from Walmart, all because GameStop had the nerve to offer me $15 for my Pokemon X 3DS XL. My friend who owns a store himself gave me $50 for it, and i used that, some money in my bank account and a Walmart giftcard to get it. The box and everything is sitting on my bed, as is the receipt. So I could return it, but I'm not sure. As bad as I want to use my Gateway, I know I can always wait. It is pretty upsetting though.

From what I read, smea's freehax is gonna require Cubic Ninja or OOT3D anyway so I guess I wouldn't be able to use it.

dkabot

Better With Others' Systems Than Their Own
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I actually did get it from Walmart, all because GameStop had the nerve to offer me $15 for my Pokemon X 3DS XL. My friend who owns a store himself gave me $50 for it, and i used that, some money in my bank account and a Walmart giftcard to get it. The box and everything is sitting on my bed, as is the receipt. So I could return it, but I'm not sure. As bad as I want to use my Gateway, I know I can always wait. It is pretty upsetting though.

From what I read, smea's freehax is gonna require Cubic Ninja or OOT3D anyway so I guess I wouldn't be able to use it.
To be fair, so does Gateway if the system was <= 9.2...

tipsytoto

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Gamestop had this going on until a couple days ago.

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/how-to-get-a-new-3ds-xl-for-100/1100-6428853/

Looks like you just missed the boat. Anyways, walmart return policy is pretty solid, I'd probably troll a couple more locations/different stores before resigning yourself to sky or the waiting game. Up to you.

Not sure where but there is a serial # thread that tells you if a n3ds has good firmware just by looking at the outside of the box. Have that on your phone and ask to look at all of their stock's boxes.

tivu100

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Here is the N3DS firmware by serial number thread.

Pecrow

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I finally got a New 3DS XL by selling my Old 3DS XL today, and I have a Gateway. Unfortunately, the New 3DS came with 9.5 even though it was brand new in the box. Is there any way for me to use my Gateway at all, or even rxTools?

Go to a local store (use the serial number thread https://gbatemp.net/threads/n3ds-xl-firmware-by-version-number.381479/ ) and buy a new 3ds (same color). Get home, open the box, use a hair drier (hot) to remove the serial stickers and replace them then return the above 9.5 fw version 3ds.

tivu100

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Go to a local store (use the serial number thread https://gbatemp.net/threads/n3ds-xl-firmware-by-version-number.381479/ ) and buy a new 3ds (same color). Get home, open the box, use a hair drier (hot) to remove the serial stickers and replace them then return the above 9.5 fw version 3ds.
Bad idea. If OP ever needs a warranty repair, OP already lose the warranty. Also if in the future, they find out, the 3DS is likely got banned by Nintendo. Why? There is a chance another GBAtemp member may buy the sticker-swapped 3DS. Knowing the 3DS has been used, he/she will return it and report it. The 3DS then returned to Nintendo and be looked at.

Last edited by tivu100,

Pecrow

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Bad idea. If OP ever needs a warranty repair, OP already lost the warranty. Also if in the future, they find out, the 3DS is likely got banned by Nintendo. Why? There is a chance another GBAtemp member may buy the sticker-swapped 3DS. Knowing the 3DS has been used, he/she will return it and report it. The 3DS then returned to Nintendo and be looked at.
True, It was just an option. Not saying it was the best one. Back in the white-xbox-360 days when Microsoft didnt know how to cool a console I ended up burning 4 xbox 360s, and at the end I only bought just one.

Pecrow

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Bad idea. If OP ever needs a warranty repair, OP already lose the warranty. Also if in the future, they find out, the 3DS is likely got banned by Nintendo. Why? There is a chance another GBAtemp member may buy the sticker-swapped 3DS. Knowing the 3DS has been used, he/she will return it and report it. The 3DS then returned to Nintendo and be looked at.

Or replace motherboard and stickers.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: sure, it can be hands free