Hardware [HELP] Wii won't turn on (red light only)

PolloDiablo

Madre de Dios! Es El POLLO DIABLO!!!
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
After a month of not using my Wii... I found out yesterday that something was wrong with it.

It turned on... but all I got was a black screen. My first thought was that somehow it got bricked during that month hiatus. Something that it's almost impossible since last time I messed with my Wii was last February (updated IOSes and stuff), and it worked perfectly during all year. Also, nobody uses the console in my house... so that leaves out the possibility of an official update and subsequent brick.

I was able to get into Priiloader holding the reset button, and then I noticed that my Wiimote didn't sync with the console. So I used a GameCube controller to launch the Homebrew Channel. I was able to run all my homebrew apps without problems.... but anything related to Nintendo's software resulted in a black screen (games loaded from USB loader, official N channels, etc). Seems like a Bluetooth problem to me. :unsure:

But it gets worse... this morning I went to try a syscheck and my Wii didn't turn on. The light stayed red. I tried inserting a disc (it always turns on when you insert one) and nothing. Also, when I hold the power button I can hear a clicking noise.

Some things you should know...
I have a USA Wii, bought it in 2010 and installed a WODE jukebox. I'm using a 3rd party AC adapter (since I can't use the original 110V American one in my country).

UPDATE: after finding out in a troubleshooting guide that you can "reset" the AC Adapter. I left it unplugged for half an hour and then hooked it up in a different power socket.... and guess what?? now my Wii turns on again! :). But I still get a black screen.
I guess there is something wrong with the electrical wiring of my room that causes the AC adapter to fail.

So... any ideas what it could be? the AC adapter? the fuses? the Bluetooth Module?

Anastergun

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
It seems that on Priiloader you can't use the Wiimote. I'm not sure but I know that in Bootmii menu you can't use the remote until enter Homebrew or System Menu.

In Homebrew Channel you can use the Wii Mote?

PolloDiablo

Madre de Dios! Es El POLLO DIABLO!!!
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It was the Bluetooth module after all. My guess is that a power outage caused my crappy 3rd party AC Adapter to mess up the BT module somehow.
I replaced it with one bought at Dealextreme. Thanks to this video, I didn't even need to open the console, it was really easy. Now my Wii works again :yaywii:.

I haven't updated the 1st post because nobody replied until today. Thanks for the help anyway. ;)

flo

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Hungary
I'm having the exact same problem , Wii had a fake PSU which worked untill the the console didn't turn on anymore , i got a genuine PSU , it turns on but all i get is Blackscreen , Priiloader shows up but the Wiimote won't sync . Replace the BT module or try to unbrick using a Gamecube controller ? I'm thinking it's the BT module

flo

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Hungary
Anyone succeeded in changing the BT module like shown here ( through the front ) ? I was able to remove the old one but i can't fit the new one back

Mr. Prince

Trophies
XP
Country
Saudi Arabia
I have the exact same problem as you. What do you mean that your USB doesn't work? Like not being recognized by USB loaders? Because that's what's happening to me. I can only load the Wii with priiloader as the home screen results in a black screen.

ThaDraGun

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
My wii doesnt turn on right either. Powers up, but its only a black screen and also I dont hear the drive noise that usually occurs when the wii powers on.
I'm trying to figure out if its a bluetooth module problem like you all are having.

was it complete black screen and nothing else..or all of you were able to boot into preloader?
I can't get into preloader or anything. Almost certain preloader should be there. Did your drive make a noise at boot? Mine is also solid blue light.

Mr. Prince

Trophies
XP
Country
Saudi Arabia
My wii doesnt turn on right either. Powers up, but its only a black screen and also I dont hear the drive noise that usually occurs when the wii powers on.
I'm trying to figure out if its a bluetooth module problem like you all are having.

was it complete black screen and nothing else..or all of you were able to boot into preloader?
I can't get into preloader or anything. Almost certain preloader should be there. Did your drive make a noise at boot? Mine is also solid blue light.

Priiloader stills works for me. I can even go to the homebrew channel through it. I can even load homebrew. My wiimotes also don't work. I have to navigate using a GC controller.

GerbilSoft

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Priiloader stills works for me. I can even go to the homebrew channel through it. I can even load homebrew. My wiimotes also don't work. I have to navigate using a GC controller.
What IOS does Homebrew Channel say it's using?

If you can get into something like DOP-Mii, does it show the same IOS or a different version?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    NinStar @ NinStar: It will actually make it worse