TheCruel

Developer
OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
With freeShop 2.1, users can select translations and it will optionally auto-detect console system language. I'm make this thread specifically for some slight organization in getting help from people who want to assist in translating.

1. What you need to help
  • Know English well.
  • Know a non-English language well (preferably natively)
  • Understand basic string formatting (i.e. \n, %d, %.1f, etc). You don't need to know details, just enough to properly preserve the formatting and utilize newlines when appropriate.

2. Current progress
Finished
Needs reviewing
- is finished but needs a second person to double-check it.
Needs updating - lines were changed or added and they need to be translated again.
Doesn't exist

System languages
These languages are recognized internally. They are compatible with "Auto-detect".
Note: Chinese/Korean fonts don't exist on USA/EUR/JPN region consoles, at least not completely. I'm unsure how to approach/test those. Let me know if you have a console from China or Korea.

Japanese
French
German
Italian
Spanish (US)
Spanish (ES)
Simplified Chinese
Korean
Dutch
Portuguese (BR)
Portuguese (PT)
Russian

Traditional Chinese

Other languages
If you natively speak another language and want to make a translation file for it, it can also be listed on freeShop but cannot be auto-detected obviously. You just need to make sure the 3DS has the necessary font.

Hungarian
Romanian
Greek
Turkish

3. Translation process

Technical format details
The translation file format is non-standard unfortunately. I created it, but it's pretty simple. Few things to keep in mind:
  • File must use UTF8 encoding. Good text editors will maintain and control this.
  • Should use Unix style LF newlines and not CRLF like Windows often uses. If your newlines have a weird block or question mark symbol in freeShop, you fucked up.
  • # character is used for comments, but it must be the first character in the line. Nothing fancy.
  • White space is significant. "Queued: " is distinct from "Queued:"

Getting started

1. Grab a currently complete translation file and copy it. Since I will be personally looking after it, portuguese will probably always be up-to-date.
  2. After you translate it, completely or partially, you can save it as sdmc:/3ds/data/freeShop/override.lang to test it out. While that file exists, it will ignore all language settings and only use that translation file.
  3. You won't be able to test out all messages, many are only displayed when hitting unusual errors. But make sure you test out all the main ones to make sure they fit. Some are long and need you to manually insert "\n" in order to wrap it nicely.
  4. When done, you can post it on this thread (use pastebin) and have other people review it and such. But preferably, if you know how to use Github and make PRs, you can do the following:
    1. Clone the repo
    2. Save your new translation file to this directory.
    3. If you're working with a system language: make sure you use a filename like en.lang (which is for English). Check here to see which letters to use in the name.
    4. If you're working on a non-system language: use another name, more than 2 characters, that's all lowercase (i.e. klingon.lang).
    5. Make the PR for review.

Translating in-progress

If you're wanting to help with any of these language, you may want to contact the individuals below who have started on some already:

Nobody currently

Credits and Contributor List

Thanks to everyone listed as well as other minor contributors not listed.

VljLxOM.png

Last edited by TheCruel,

TheCruel

Developer
OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
almost 400 lines whoaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

I'd do french and turkish but I can't really test it
Yeah, but almost half is space/comments :P

You can test any language translation file without messing with system settings. Just read the instruction if you want to do that. Just involves saving it to the freeShop directory.

Also, if any native Brazilian could check my portuguese translation, that'd help. It's my second language so I could easily have made mistakes or used odd words.

erman1337

Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Yeah, but almost half is space/comments :P

You can test any language translation file without messing with system settings. Just read the instruction if you want to do that. Just involves saving it to the freeShop directory.

Also, if any native Brazilian could check my portuguese translation, that'd help. It's my second language so I could easily have made mistakes or used odd words.
I mean I can't run freeShop on my system, but if that's OK I can translate french

TheCruel

Developer
OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Maybe two german translators.
EDIT: Doing it right now.
If it looks like someone else may have started, may want to PM them. You don't want to waste time translating something someone else may have already started.

Just advise for everyone.

I'll add names of current translators in OP. So then people don't start over.

Last edited by TheCruel,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    ButterScott101 @ ButterScott101: +1