Hacking Help updating R4i Gold 3DS RTS from r4ids.cn

nxwing

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Philippines
I got this cart a week ago and it says its revision C. The site where I bought it told me that it was an old revision and it is preupdated to work on the latest DSi firmware.
I didn't mess it up around so much so I could return it if it was faulty which it's not. I tried updating the firmware of the cart using the official patches downloadable at r4ids.cn but I get a fail. When I selected the Help option from the start menu of the wood r4 menu. It says this.
DUPy6Zp.jpg

It's weird because even though I got a fail, it says that it works on 3DS 6.20-12. I didn't even cut the signal line on the cart which I think was in between C1 and R9.

Gyron_Oldvic

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
That's the latest patch. They only update when they need to, ie. when an official firmware version is released that the latest patch doesn't work with.

Saoshyant

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hey, I bought that same R4i Gold recently, with the small D on the back, bottom right corner. I can't get it to run though but this being my first R4i card ever of any sort, I'm probably screwing up somewhere.

The cart points to a http://www.r4ids.cn site that works but whose download links are mostly broken. I seem to have found a mirror for firmware "4.0b2" so I got that along with a "Wood R4 Kernel" that I also seem to need. Put everything into the SD card's root, formatted FAT32 as per instructions, but I just get a black screen when I boot the card (disguised as some random Japanese game). Can anyone compare if the file structure is supposed to look like this?

QtxDaEV.png

the _DS_MENU.DAT and __rpg folder are from the Wood Kernel zip. The Launcher.dat is from the firmware thingy. Is there anything missing or in the wrong place?

Razor83

Trophies
XP
Country
Keep the _rpg folder and the _DS_MENU.DAT file, but delete the other three files and then try again (The launcher.dat is meant for the r4ids.cn 3DS card, not the DS card)​

Gyron_Oldvic

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Saoshyant. If your card label says 'R4i 3DS RTS (Revolution for DS)(http://www.r4ids.cn)', then '4.0b2' is not for your card. Just download 'WOOD R4 V1.64 (2013-11-08)' from their download page (about a 3rd of the way down). The link is working. Just extract the contents to the root of your Micro SD card.

Saoshyant

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Saoshyant. If your card label says 'R4i 3DS RTS (Revolution for DS)(http://www.r4ids.cn)', then '4.0b2' is not for your card. Just download 'WOOD R4 V1.64 (2013-11-08)' from their download page (about a 3rd of the way down). The link is working. Just extract the contents to the root of your Micro SD card.

I did. It's the "__rpg" stuff as shown above, but thanks for confirming it.

Keep the _rpg folder and the _DS_MENU.DAT file, but delete the other three files and then try again (The launcher.dat is meant for the r4ids.cn 3DS card, not the DS card)​

I tried that, but the cart still refuses to do anything it seems. Currently it's just the Wood Kernel in there. I have tried to reformat my microSD card from FAT32 to the old FAT to see if it changed anything, but that didn't help. Then I went and got my ancient DS Phat out of storage to give the card a try there, but after clicking on the Japanese game it fakes itself as I only get a black screen as usual.

I currently only have a 2 GB Kingston microSD card around. I'd like to test with another SD card but I don't have any at the moment. Aside that I'm completely out of ideas.

Is it possible this R4i Gold is a dud? Does anyone have any suggestion?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @salazarcosplay, Morning