Hardware Help/Suggestions for my broken 3DS situation?

ChronoSpectre

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey, GBAtemp, I've been using this website for a few years, but finally I've decided to join because I have a pressing topic I'd like to share.

So about 2-2.5 years ago I had finally picked up my 3DS again after a good few months of not using it, and I stumbled upon a little surprise - the console would turn on, but not stay on, turning off in a matter of mere seconds. And so, afraid to do anything to it, I once again left my 3DS to gather dust for a good, long while.

Last year I decided I'd try and fix my 3DS. I searched around online and figured that it was a classic error many people encountered. I concluded I had two solutions: pay $80-100 bucks for repair or try and repair it myself. I figured, "gee if there are a few good tutorials online and I have the necessary tools to do it myself, why not give it a try". (I was then broke and a cheapskate)

...And after a lot of confusion, I gave up on trying to fix it - all I gained from doing this was a headache and a dismantled 3DS that now -possibly- had -minor- damage from repair attempts to components I was taking in and out and shuffling about.

I looked online to see if I could just send in my 3DS for repair, but according to their repair and maintenance terms, they would not be able to work with "tampered" 3DS consoles who have been opened up and messed with... At this point I'm afraid to even touch the 3DS from somehow screwing up even further.

I thought, "gee am I stupid, and what the hell am I to do about this now? Give up and give my handheld a burial?" So here I am asking for suggestions on what to do about this situation.

*The worse part is that, even though my Nintendo ID has whatever purchase history recorded onto it, I still couldn't re-download the games I had on my broken 3DS because I'd still need to "transfer" ownership of the ID between two working consoles. (AAAAAGHHHHHH there goes my FE DLC too) I could buy a newest 3DS version, but I'd also wish to somehow be able to recover my eShop games and game saves.

So, GBAtemp'ers, what do?

*3DS failed fix attempt: outside and some inner screws removed, motherboard connected and intact (possible nodules missing/broken off which could have caused the original malfunction), disconnected some audio speaker ribbon cables.*

Last edited by ChronoSpectre,

N64

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
you can recover your eshop games if you call nintendo and ask them to remove the NNID from your previous console (just say you lost it or something). your saves won't transfer though. after doing this you can sign into it from a new 3ds console

as far as your broken 3ds... it sounds like it's time to find a professional, non-nintendo rep for it or buy a new one. i'm sure someone here does it.

ChronoSpectre

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
you can recover your eshop games if you call nintendo and ask them to remove the NNID from your previous console (just say you lost it or something). your saves won't transfer though. after doing this you can sign into it from a new 3ds console

as far as your broken 3ds... it sounds like it's time to find a professional, non-nintendo rep for it or buy a new one. i'm sure someone here does it.

Huh, didn't know that was possible. Neat! Sounds like a good idea. As SoonTM as I buy myself a new 3DS I'll go ahead and try that. (Also, does that also work in transferring dlc content?)
As for the 3DS, I'll see what I can do. If you or anyone watching this thread know anyone that could get realllly hands-deep into fixing a 3DS at a reasonable price, I'd appreciate it if ya'll could give me some intel on who to contact.

*Edit: My heart is aching in thinking of hundreds of hours of FE:A and Pokemon save data getting lost. Heheh, live and learn I guess. Also, thanks Secousa for the advice.

Last edited by ChronoSpectre,
Reactions: N64

N64

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
DLC also. Basically anything you purchased from eshop will be available to redownload unless it has been removed.

I'd personally hold out and find someone that can fix it. Maybe search the forums a bit. I don't know anyone that fixes them generally only those that mod it

ChronoSpectre

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
DLC also. Basically anything you purchased from eshop will be available to redownload unless it has been removed.

I'd personally hold out and find someone that can fix it. Maybe search the forums a bit. I don't know anyone that fixes them generally only those that mod it
Awesome! And, thanks again for the solid advice, man. I appreciate it!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Hello @realtimesave.