Hacking Help starting hacking my psp

Beat_

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
So, I recently found my psp and I just wanted you guys to help me get all the information I need to hack it.
The PSP's version is 3.95. How do I update it to the correct version.
Furthermore, do I need to buy additional stuff to hack it?

Beat_

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Ok, I'll look into it, thank you very much :D
Also, how do I put the files in? Do I need a reader, or can I use a usb cable?

Beat_

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Ok, thank you

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Is a PSP 2004 the same as 2000?

Nathan Drake

Obligations fulfilled, now I depart.
Trophies
XP
Country
lol yeah, PSP hacking got super, super easy once people found the PSP private keys. Sony completely lost the ability to fight against entirely software based hacks at that point, and it was a beautiful thing.

Beat_

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
XD Its great for us, bad for them, but I mean, who would buy so many games? .... Well, thanks for the help!

Nathan Drake

Trophies
XP
Country
I would suggest upgrading to a higher capacity. 1GB will be enough for a couple small PSP games, or one medium to large-ish sized one, but that's about it. You can just get a photofast MicroSD to Produo adapter and use MicroSD cards instead. It's cheaper and fairly reliable.

TecXero

Technovert
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I wouldn't recommend piracy. xP

Anyway, the fourth digit of its model just indicates region. For example the 1 in 2001 indicating US, and the 4 in 2004 indicating India, I think that's the right region. That guide should work fine, it's a bit older, but Pro will still do everything you need it to. ME has more features at this point, but not many standard users would use them anyway.

TecXero

Technovert
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sony brought it on themselves by using those horrid UMD's.

:gun:UMD's:whip:
Oh yeah, didn't those things fall apart on people? I only bought four PSP games, beat them, and never touched them again. The PSP just didn't have much that interested me in terms of licensed games/software. Luckily, DAX ensured I got my money's worth out of that handheld. Mostly ended up using it for emulation and some odd applications, but that was a nice handheld, too bad it just didn't have the games to back it up, probably due to a bit of a catch-22 and piracy being a bit too easy.

Nathan Drake

Trophies
XP
Country
Oh yeah, didn't those things fall apart on people? I only bought four PSP games, beat them, and never touched them again. The PSP just didn't have much that interested me in terms of licensed games/software. Luckily, DAX ensured I got my money's worth out of that handheld. Mostly ended up using it for emulation and some odd applications, but that was a nice handheld, too bad it just didn't have the games to back it up, probably due to a bit of a catch-22 and piracy being a bit too easy.
The PSP actually has a pretty amazing library. The thing even sold 80 million total consoles worldwide. Definitely wouldn't have done that rocking a lackluster library. The library just didn't match your taste, which is a-okay.

TecXero

Technovert
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The PSP actually has a pretty amazing library. The thing even sold 80 million total consoles worldwide. Definitely wouldn't have done that rocking a lackluster library. The library just didn't match your taste, which is a-okay.
Huh, I think this is the first time I've actually run into someone that liked its library. That's fine, just a bit surprising. My most favorite game on the system was the homebrew port of Cave Story.

On-topic at OP: You should probably check your motherboard version. Also, you should only need to update to 6.20/6.60 (depending on your motherboard). 6.61 is supported on ME, but I can't really think of a reason to update up to 6.61.

Nathan Drake

Trophies
XP
Country
Huh, I think this is the first time I've actually run into someone that liked its library. That's fine, just a bit surprising. My most favorite game on the system was the homebrew port of Cave Story.

On-topic at OP: You should probably check your motherboard version. Also, you should only need to update to 6.20/6.60 (depending on your motherboard). 6.61 is supported on ME, but I can't really think of a reason to update up to 6.61.
Why are you even mentioning ME or 6.61? I'm legitimately kind of confused since OP doesn't need any of that information. The wololo guide may not be omg comprehensive of everything available, but 6.60 PRO is pretty much the standard choice, which the guide covers. OP doesn't need to know their motherboard revision, anything about ME that holds no extra benefits for the standard user, or 6.61 since they voiced no interest in having PSN access, which is literally the only conceivable reason to bother with 6.61.

No offense, but loading someone down with extraneous information they don't need is more likely to confuse than help.

TecXero

Technovert
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Why are you even mentioning ME or 6.61? I'm legitimately kind of confused since OP doesn't need any of that information. The wololo guide may not be omg comprehensive of everything available, but 6.60 PRO is pretty much the standard choice, which the guide covers. OP doesn't need to know their motherboard revision, anything about ME that holds no extra benefits for the standard user, or 6.61 since they voiced no interest in having PSN access, which is literally the only conceivable reason to bother with 6.61.

No offense, but loading someone down with extraneous information they don't need is more likely to confuse than help.
I generally like to give them information that could answer questions that might pop up later. He might see those mentioned elsewhere and wonder if those are worth looking into. The motherboard might become an issue, unless 6.60 Pro is working on the newer motherboard (I honestly don't remember, it's been too long).

It wouldn't surprise me if I'm mixing in information for M33 or something. It's been quite a while since I've even touched a PSP, considering as soon as I got a 3DS, I just sold it and its games. First system I've sold without having spares, and first games I sold from my collection. If I'm giving misinformation, just tell me.

Last edited by TecXero,

Beat_

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Welp, I got everything working with the first guide, I don't need extra stuff, I just need to play the games :P The only problem now is the dang memory... It's not enough for most of the games I want... so, off to buy a memory stick or that adapter Nathan Drake mentioned...

Nathan Drake

Trophies
XP
Country
Welp, I got everything working with the first guide, I don't need extra stuff, I just need to play the games :P The only problem now is the dang memory... It's not enough for most of the games I want... so, off to buy a memory stick or that adapter Nathan Drake mentioned...
The adapter you're looking for is something like this: http://www.amazon.com/SANOXY®-Micro...970&sr=8-1&keywords=photofast+microsd+adapter

Just check reviews before you buy to make sure it actually reads correctly, and if there are reviews specifically mentioning the PSP like with this adapter, that would be ideal. At that point you can just invest in the much cheaper MicroSD cards, and you can use any capacity, really.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Maximumbeans @ Maximumbeans:
    I can't believe you got me with that
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    I haven't been gaming for such a long time. Been mostly busy with sleep, hardware tinkering and checking GBAtemp frequently.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Hope you've had a good morning.
    It's going alright thanks :) I know what you mean with gaming time. It's precious where I can get it these days.
    +1
    I think that's why I focus on just enjoying single player experiences that aren't too competitive
    How are you doing?
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    There's also this thing where I'm hyperfocused at night and cannot get to sleep.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, I'm doing alright, thanks.
    +1
    That must be rough. Productive I'm sure but hard to balance with daily life
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, Indeed. I've been working on getting this Infecutus chip to work on my PS2. But after soldering, I realised that a plastic piece was missing from the power ribbon cable to the power and eject buttons.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Now I could go with soldering the contacts from the cable to the connector on the mobo, but doesn't sound like a good permanent solution.
    Man, that's beyond my brain :rofl: I'm no good with hardware for now. I'd like to get into hardmods in future though
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, Maybe start practice soldering. Get a cheap-ass soldering iron and follow some good YouTube tutorials.
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Least my experience has gotten better than over a decade ago. My iron would constantly bump into components and break them.
    Sounds good. I actually did soldering but like 16 years ago for school so uuuuh probably rusty haha
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, Same here. I did soldering at school from a teacher who I honestly liked since he had plenty of good electronics experience.
    +1
    I wish I could play chess well
    +1
    Useless but a true art
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, I had a friend who had a glass chess set for their birthday.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    It was like all clear and fancy. Tbf I'm not too experienced with chess, but would like to learn someday.
    That sounds really cool
    I know the basics but no strategy at all :rofl:
    Maximumbeans @ Maximumbeans: I know the basics but no strategy at all :rofl: