DigitalDeviant

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I installed Windows 7 on a separate partition but now when I boot it asks me to load one. What is the easiest/best way to delete the Windows Vista OS? Is it to simply to format the drive that has Vista installed?

Also is there a setting to allow the system to boot a specific OS if I have more than one installed instead of asking me which?

Thanks in advance.

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
Seeing how it's on a second partition you should first backup all of the data on said partition with Vista on it, install EasyBCD, there should be an option to remove Windows Vista from the bootlist. Do so, then you can just format the partition and everything should work fine.

Reactions: 1 person

DigitalDeviant

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Seeing how it's on a second partition you should first backup all of the data on said partition with Vista on it, install EasyBCD, there should be an option to remove Windows Vista from the bootlist. Do so, then you can just format the partition and everything should work fine.

Thanks for quick response, and yes I've backed everything up on the Vista drive. So I can't just simply format the drive that has vista on it instead of using app to remove it from the boot list?

Anon10W1z

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Thanks for quick response, and yes I've backed everything up on the Vista drive. So I can't just simply format the drive that has vista on it instead of using app to remove it from the boot list?
Remove it from the bootlist. (and DON'T reformat)

DigitalDeviant

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States

Remove it from the bootlist. (and DON'T reformat)

well I do want to reformat to wipe the drive clean, thanks for your input though.

Lucifer666

all the world needs is me
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Well, what I normally do is I actually delete the partition Vista is on, by going to Device Manager on Windows 7, then you'll be given the option to expand/increase the volume of any other partition. Do that to the one Windows 7 is on, and voila.

Also you might still see both in dual boot. If you want to get rid of that, download Easy BCD and delete Windows Vista's entry. Don't worry. This method is absolutely clean.
Hope this helps. ^_^

Jamstruth

Secondary Feline Anthropomorph
Trophies
XP
Country

The bootloader would still think its there (its a little bit dumb like that). EasyBCD will allow you to remove the entry from the list and set it to automatically boot into Windows 7.

As for the guy saying not to reformat: Why? We are going to format 1 partition, not his entire harddrive.

DigitalDeviant

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States

The bootloader would still think its there (its a little bit dumb like that). EasyBCD will allow you to remove the entry from the list and set it to automatically boot into Windows 7.

As for the guy saying not to reformat: Why? We are going to format 1 partition, not his entire harddrive.

Thanks I'll use EasyBCD to remove from the list then delete the vista partition.

DigitalDeviant

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
so I finally moved the boot to windows 7 and removed vista so no more dual boot. Problem now is the now formated drive where vista use to be is a primary partition. I want to change it to a logical one but the partition wizard won't let me. Anyone can help with this one?

Sterling

GBAtemp's Silver Hero
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
so I finally moved the boot to windows 7 and removed vista so no more dual boot. Problem now is the now formated drive where vista use to be is a primary partition. I want to change it to a logical one but the partition wizard won't let me. Anyone can help with this one?
There's a nifty program called EASEUS Partition master that you can get for free. You can do anything (relating to formatting, partitioning, etc) with this thing, including changing the primary status of a drive. LINK

DigitalDeviant

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
There's a nifty program called EASEUS Partition master that you can get for free. You can do anything (relating to formatting, partitioning, etc) with this thing, including changing the primary status of a drive. LINK

Thanks I'll check it out. Now I have to deal with the drivers...most seem to work but I'm getting a display driver error when I opened up a micro HDrip of a film, after a while the screen flickered and windows 7 said "the display driver recovered from an error" or something like that.

What do you recommend for checking, installing/installing drivers?

Sterling

GBAtemp's Silver Hero
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Thanks I'll check it out. Now I have to deal with the drivers...most seem to work but I'm getting a display driver error when I opened up a micro HDrip of a film, after a while the screen flickered and windows 7 said "the display driver recovered from an error" or something like that.

What do you recommend for checking, installing/installing drivers?
Well, you could use device manager to do that.

Start -> Alt click computer -> Properties -> Device Manager

I suppose you already knew that, but I thought it'd be good to post anyway.

If it was a recent change and it was working before, just roll it back. If you haven't changed anything, I'd suggest getting the latest driver from the manufacturer's website.

DigitalDeviant

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Did it solve anything?

EDIT: Double post lol.

Oh hi Sterling I've haven't tried your suggestions out yet. Concerning the driver management I just never liked touching that but you make a good point about rolling back. I went from vista 64 bits to windows 7 64 bits and that's when I started getting problems. I've been thinking about downloading an app called driver genius as it manages drivers and downloads them...

Sterling

GBAtemp's Silver Hero
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Did it solve anything?

Oh hi Sterling I've haven't tried your suggestions out yet. Concerning the driver management I just never liked touching that but you make a good point about rolling back. I went from vista 64 bits to windows 7 64 bits and that's when I started getting problems. I've been thinking about downloading an app called driver genius as it manages drivers and downloads them...
Don't be afraid to touch your drivers. Widows usually has default drivers it can load if you do something it doesn't like. If you mess up, its not hard to fix a driver problem. Now, registry editing on the other hand is a pain in the ass, and can seriously break windows. Not just figuratively, but literally. I've tossed my keyboard through a window before.

DigitalDeviant

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Did it solve anything?

Don't be afraid to touch your drivers. Widows usually has default drivers it can load if you do something it doesn't like. If you mess up, its not hard to fix a driver problem. Now, registry editing on the other hand is a pain in the ass, and can seriously break windows. Not just figuratively, but literally. I've tossed my keyboard through a window before.

Thanks Sterling I'm learning to be less afraid to mess with the computers os and hardware, your a great help!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Pump the chocolate into my veins