Hardware HELP! router doesn't support upnp

tbgtbg

Shaking the ring ropes up in the sky
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Does upnp even have anything to do with online gaming and making it better? Isn't it just a way for devices on the same local network to find and share with each other better?

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
Does upnp even have anything to do with online gaming and making it better? Isn't it just a way for devices on the same local network to find and share with each other better?

Yep, UPNP doesn't really have anything to do with online network gaming.

@OP, check your NAT settings, that would be what (most likely) affects your online performance. Make sure the setting is either set to Open or Moderate.

Originality

Chibi-neko
Trophies
Website
metalix.deviantart.com
XP
Country
Actually some games use UPNP to automatically open relevant ports to improve P2P performance. Personally I've always found this a bit hit-and-miss where as manual port forwarding provides consistent results (but only in situations where it was near impossible with the ports closed). However in most cases, UPNP has little to no impact (although it may occasionally clash with any QoS settings).

First check your router settings to make sure UPNP is enabled. Then check the port fowarding settings to see if there are any conflicts (e.g. two games trying to use the same ports).
If both are fine, then it may be the actual UPNP service on your computer that's messing up (something I've seen in many laptops).

notrustinsasuke

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
on my network information it says

Network adapter: Ethernet

System link address: not active

UPNP: Aavilable in use

NAT TYPE: Open

It takes a long time to connect with other players and when i get to do PvP it gets laggy, i also get alot of fail attempts. At first i thought it was my internet connection so i went to go use my friends internet and the same problem still occurs.

notrustinsasuke

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
having trouble with dark souls prepair to die.

internet speed

Ping: 686ms

download speed: 5.10mbps

upload speed: 0.47Mbps

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
You might want to call your ISP and get one of their tech to check your line. 600+ ms is beyond acceptable, even for a crappy ISP.
The only time I usually see ping's as high as that is when someone is using satellite internet, so I assume that's what the OP has in which case even his ISP can't do anything about it :lol:.

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
OP needs to either flash an Open firmware to his router, which will give him UPnP support, or buy a different router. I suggest the WNDR4500 by Netgear, personally. It's a bomb router. :D

Originality

Chibi-neko
Trophies
Website
metalix.deviantart.com
XP
Country
Open firmwares are not always the answer, as they often introduce new issues that do not exist in the official firmware. e.g. DD-WRT for the Netgear N7000 Nighthawk is known to limit WAN speed to ~450Mb, instead of the full 1Gb supported by the WAN port in official firmware.

I've done a lot of research into routers in the last few days looking for an upgrade to my Billion BiPac 7800N, and ended up having to choose between the Asus RT-AC68U and the above Netgear... ultimately I've gone and ordered the Asus due to all the stories I hear of Netgear/DD-WRT firmwares and their issues.

trumpet-205

Embrace the darkness within
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
The only time I usually see ping's as high as that is when someone is using satellite internet, so I assume that's what the OP has in which case even his ISP can't do anything about it :lol:.

I have no experience with Satellite Internet so I don't know their average ping/latency time. Though Satellite Internet is clearly not for gaming, and one should only use it when you are out of alternative for ISP.

I've done a lot of research into routers in the last few days looking for an upgrade to my Billion BiPac 7800N, and ended up having to choose between the Asus RT-AC68U and the above Netgear... ultimately I've gone and ordered the Asus due to all the stories I hear of Netgear/DD-WRT firmwares and their issues.

Have you at one point considered Routerboard?

Originality

Chibi-neko
Trophies
Website
metalix.deviantart.com
XP
Country
Routerboard is an ethernet only router which is not suitable for my needs. Sure I could get one and just use a WiFi-AP connected to it, but then that'd leave 3 units (BT Openreach modem) sitting on my desk which is more than I'd prefer.
When looking for a solution to remove all the ethernet cables running around the house, it's either Powerline or WiFi. Powerline has frequent dropouts with my electrics so my best bet is WiFi-AC (WiFi-N just doesn't have enough penetration in my house).
EDIT: Just saw Routerboard do have a couple WiFi routers, but only WiFi-N. Seems inferior to the Billion router I currently have.

trumpet-205

Embrace the darkness within
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
EDIT: Just saw Routerboard do have a couple WiFi routers, but only WiFi-N. Seems inferior to the Billion router I currently have.
That's true, AC WiFi right now is only supported on mainstream router. Not even custom firmware or pfsense support it.

How is that AC-68U by the way? I specifically wonder about its stability and cooling ability.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @SylverReZ, lol +1