Homebrew Help! N3DS problems after OTP's One Click Setup on 2.1

eworm

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
I need help!

I bought a brand new, fresh New 3DS XL which came with firmware version 9.6.0-24E and attempted to install arm9loaderhax + Luma3DS using the Plailect Guide.

The entire process was going great, the only major hiccup being that the first downgrade to 9.2 was incomplete - I used my cartridge of Pokémon Super Mystery Dungeon to install an update (not wanting to go to 11.0, since that would ruin any hope of downgrading) and ended up on 10.2.0-20E. After trying again, the downgrade to 9.2 went without a hitch.

I followed the remaining parts of the guide and it was going smoothly. But when it came to the downgrade to 2.1 (last steps of the tutorial's Part 4) an issue popped up. PlaiSys Updater claimed to have finished successfully and rebooted my console. Happy it went well, I initialized the OTPHelper from SysNAND and used the One Click Setup, the very last step in that part of the tutorial.

And upon rebooting, I was greeted with a black screen.

Booting without the microSD card did show the Home Menu properly, but putting it in after it booted didn't help at all. I had a mini panic attack, afraid I bricked my console for good (which still might be true), but I figured I might be able to recover with the solution to the previous issue. And I updated with Super Mystery Dungeon again.

This solved the problem of booting without the microSD - however, I still receive black screen when trying to enter System Settings, so I'm not even able to confirm which firmware version I'm on (or which version the console thinks I'm on) or format the system.

BrowserHax is out of the question, it wants me to update the system to use it, and my FreakyHax doesn't work for whatever reason, giving me an error and rebooting the system. Menuhax is no longer present and while I could try installing SuperMysteryDungeonHax or BaseHax from another HomeBrewable console, I don't know which firmware version to pick during installation.

I found some claims that removing a 000002cc/d/e folder on the card might solve some problems, but I don't even have any folder like that - in any of my three (!) "scrambled letters and numbers" folders.

Formatting the microSD and putting all the files back on didn't help anything either, though I didn't really expect it to. It was a rather desperate attempt.

Is there any way to recover from this? Would launching Homebrew somehow allow me to recover the backup NANDs? According to Plailtect's guide, even updating to the newest firmware may brick my N3DS.

Of course the final solution for me would be to return the console to the store and try to exchange it for another one. This one's brand new, they'd probably believe me if I claimed they accidentally sold me a faulty product. I don't want to do that though, not unless there are really no possible options left.

Last edited by eworm,

grafate

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just a piece of advice that if you are going to return, update it normally and it should work properly. And when you return just say change of mind. That way the store gets a working console back.

Reactions: dimmidice

eworm

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Tried to install a New10.2.0-20E version of SuperMysteryHax on my cartridge and load it up on the console (which should be on that firmware, since that's the one the game installed previously), but it gives me an error yet again. Perhaps I just can't launch Homebrew at all.

But a thought occurs - if I updated the console to the newest firmware, 11.0 and Homebrew worked on that one, would I be able to use OTPHelper to restore my NAND backups and regress to 9.2 or 2.1? Or would that be impossible even with NAND backups?

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
You should never update
Tried to install a New10.2.0-20E version of SuperMysteryHax on my cartridge and load it up on the console (which should be on that firmware, since that's the one the game installed previously), but it gives me an error yet again. Perhaps I just can't launch Homebrew at all.

But a thought occurs - if I updated the console to the newest firmware, 11.0 and Homebrew worked on that one, would I be able to use OTPHelper to restore my NAND backups and regress to 9.2 or 2.1? Or would that be impossible even with NAND backups?
No, you can't restore a NAND backup on 11.0 unless you use the DSiWare method with fieldrunner.

eworm

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
^Does this mean my console's permanently bricked? I thought that since I managed to recover from the black screen issue, I'd be able to do something about the rest...
Right now I'm mostly looking for ways to launch Homebrew to try to restore NANDs, but none of my entrypoints work...

Resset

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Can you boot the console to home menu or it just hangs on black screen? OTPHelper and similar apps will no work since there is no known kernel exploit for 11.0

Swiftloke

Hwaaaa!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Screenshot_20160712-203404.jpg

Screenshot_20160712-203434.jpg

Screenshot_20160712-203453.jpg

eworm

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
I was getting a black screen if I booted with the microSD card in, but not without it. After updating with Super Mystery Dungeon, I have the access to the Home Menu either way, but not to System Settings (black screen) or HomeBrew (error no matter which entrypoint I use).

EDIT (above): Well, crap. What would be the possible recovery steps if I hadn't upgraded? If I was still on 2.1?

Last edited by eworm,

Resset

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Yeah... something like that.

I was getting a black screen if I booted with the microSD card in, but not without it. After updating with Super Mystery Dungeon, I have the access to the Home Menu either way, but not to System Settings (black screen) or HomeBrew (error no matter which entrypoint I use).

EDIT (above): Well, crap. What would be the possible recovery steps if I hadn't upgraded? If I was still on 2.1?
Do a hardmod and restore your NAND backup.

Also why did you even think that update would fix your problem when in the guide is clearly written that FW update on n3ds will cause a brick?
I think that your 3DS downgraded properly. You could delete Nintendo 3DS folder on the sd card and follow the guide.

eworm

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Well, hardmodding is not an option to me anyway. I would most definitely fry my console.

So it's a confirmed brick, huh. Do You know whether the console would at least work properly if I updated to 11.0 using recovery mode? Or would it remain bricked? I'm probably going to end up returning the console to the shop, in which case I could probably just give them back a working one.

Amapola62

Trophies
XP
Country
France
I think it's normal to boot to a black screen when switching on with Sd in at 2.10-4...I had the same problem...I supposed it was normal to only be able to insert the Sd once the system had booted when at 2.1 so I porceded with the guide as normal.
I simply continued with the steps :
-I switched off my 3ds (I had tried to switch it on with sd in and got greated by the black screen)
- Took the Sd card off the 3ds
-Copied the recovery files to PC, and what needed to put in the SD card according to the guide in the sd card
Switched on 3ds without sd card in
Reinserted my SD card into my 3DS once the menus had loaded
Went to http://dukesrg.github.io/2xrsa.html?arm11.bin on my 3DS
Selected Full Install
Proceded with the rest of the guide...

Ev1lbl0w

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
You should have waited and be pacient before you updated with the game. I remember reading a lot of times when I did the guide that updating a N3DS in 2.1 firm would brick. You should have just waited, create a post of your problem, and don't mess with the console anymore.

I hade done A9LH in three Old3DS, and in every one I had to take out the SD card before booting up the 2.1 system. I just inserted it later when booted and nothing bad happenned.

But I think you still haven't tried this: can you boot in Recovery Mode? (Press A + R + L + Up on D-pad when you turn on the console) If yes, don't do anything more, just say if you can.

Resset

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Well, hardmodding is not an option to me anyway. I would most definitely fry my console.

So it's a confirmed brick, huh. Do You know whether the console would at least work properly if I updated to 11.0 using recovery mode? Or would it remain bricked? I'm probably going to end up returning the console to the shop, in which case I could probably just give them back a working one.
Sometimes to get something we want we need to pay twice :) I have bricked my first n3ds and now I have a second n3ds with A9LH on it.

eworm

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Big Thank You to Ev1lbl0w for looking for a solution for me on the IRC channel. I saw You, thanks for kinda defending me when I didn't even deserve it ^^'

^Can't follow that guide, since a) I don't have access to Homebrew and b) I am scared sh*tless of hardmodding and there's no hardmodder I could turn to.

I guess I done goofed and will have to live with the consequences. Unbricking the console without hardmod seems completely impossible, so now the real question is whether to Recovery Mode Update or not before returning the console to the shop.

Reactions: Ev1lbl0w

fikatr

Trophies
XP
Country
Turkey
  1. Select "One Click Setup" and confirm (you do not need to do an extra backup if asked, but you should make sure that you have copied the backup you made earlier to your computer as youwill need it later). This can take a while.
    (If this fails or gives you an error do NOT continue or you may BRICK; you should follow this troubleshooting guide)
  2. Cross your fingers
  3. Reboot
  4. If you get a black screen, boot with the SD card removed then reinsert when you see the home menu. If this fails, follow this troubleshooting guide
really ???

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

if you update nothing will change you are using o3ds firmware with n3ds

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

its like putting a gamecube in a n64 housing and expecting it to play n64 games

Last edited by fikatr,
Reactions: TerryG

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    LeoTCK @ LeoTCK: yes for nearly a month i was officially a wanted fugitive, until yesterday when it ended