Gaming Help moving on to a better PC?

Katsumi San

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
To offer information, I only use the pc to usual browsing; Twitter, Twitch, Youtube, gaming websites and encoding TS(<- I went back to fansubbing world)

Here is current pc specs:

28mhauw.jpg

And here is pc specs that I plan to move on to:

2qbt2tl.jpg

Now I will say I have had current pc since 2011, and I am notice the slow down it has catch over the years.(Yes I delete programs, virus scan, etc) Now I want to know from pc masters is if is a very huge significant upgrade from current pc? and will it be enough for my basic needs? Oh I also plan to use capture device "ElGato". I do not look into having such powerful pc for just simple needs, so if please not suggest monstrous pc. Also I only use maybe pc 8 times a month? Anyways thank you for taking time to read this post.

mightymuffy

fatbaldpieeater
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Looks great for your needs, that i5 should smash anything you want to do out of that list... if you can spare an extra bit of cash consider adding another 4GB of ram though: good speedup, and should prove especially useful for your encoding (depending on your file sizes), and shouldn't cost more than around $30. Other than that yes, you'll notice a big difference!

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Looks great for your needs, that i5 should smash anything you want to do out of that list... if you can spare an extra bit of cash consider adding another 4GB of ram though: good speedup, and should prove especially useful for your encoding (depending on your file sizes), and shouldn't cost more than around $30. Other than that yes, you'll notice a big difference!
Note that that is a laptop so adding another stick of RAM might not be quite that simple. Some laptops make it really hard to replace or upgrade anything.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
For what it is worth if you stick a SSD in that first computer (is it a laptop?) it will probably be nice and nippy for most things. They are pretty cheap these days and even better is you will be moving up from a 5400rpm drive which is about as slow as drives were in recent times.

That new machine should handle capture from an el gato device as well, basic websites should be quite doable even on the original machine so they will be fine on the new one. You might not be able to do the crazy post processing in real time if you are also capturing but simple capture/streaming should be fine.
The new machine does not have a motherboard listing but it only says 2 slots for memory, which is not a lot, and that the hard drive is 3Gb/s rather than 6 is hopefully a reflection upon the hard drive and not the motherboard.

To say any more I would need to know the price for the new machine.

mightymuffy

fatbaldpieeater
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Note that that is a laptop so adding another stick of RAM might not be quite that simple. Some laptops make it really hard to replace or upgrade anything.
Hmm.... OP says 'RAM 4GB (1 x 4GB), Max supported 16GB', therefore it's safe to assume adding more won't be that difficult: I've had a selection of laptops during my years, including 2 currently in the house, and adding ram even to the harder ones isn't particularly difficult.... and like I said, for what he does, it's only worthy of consideration in the first place - I don't know what kind of filesizes he's talking about with his encoding after all....;)

Maximilious

Whistles a familiar tune
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hmm.... OP says 'RAM 4GB (1 x 4GB), Max supported 16GB

This means all 4 slots of his laptop will be occupied by 1GB sticks. If he wanted to upgrade he would have to remove all 4 and replace with brand new sticks for best performance. It's usually not good to mix brands/speeds/capacities. It will work, but has the chance to cause problems and not give you maximum performance.

I also agree with FAST6191 - An SSD in your current build would likely fit your needs and give you a few more years on your current rig. If you're really just looking for a new PC all together, I'd still recommend an SSD for the new guy.

mightymuffy

fatbaldpieeater
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
This means all 4 slots of his laptop will be occupied by 1GB sticks. If he wanted to upgrade he would have to remove all 4 and replace with brand new sticks for best performance. It's usually not good to mix brands/speeds/capacities. It will work, but has the chance to cause problems and not give you maximum performance.
Wrong, 1x4Gb equals 1 4GB stick, otherwise it'd say 4x1GB, how 2 of you made this mistake on a laptop that has an i5 processor in boggles the mind...:P

Katsumi San

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Here is more information on current laptop, forgot to say that I am move to laptop to another one.,

2hx4k7o.jpg

As for more info on second laptop:

35b5k44.jpg

Also feel free to suggest if there is better way of improve future laptop? Also new laptop is around $500, and I have budget of new laptop of $1,000 so I do not mind to improve to its best.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
1366x768 resolution on the new laptop? I hope you are using an external monitor for most things with this. 1366x768 is horrific for most things, especially if you plan to do a bit of video editing.
I am not particularly up on my current US computer vendors right now but $1000 budget should get you something pretty decent, more than what you have there.

Back on the first laptop. Only 333MHz on the RAM, I hope that is the BIOS having not detected things. Stick 4 gigs of some nice 800MHz stuff (it should take it) and a SSD in that and it will be a nice little device for a while yet.

Maximilious

Whistles a familiar tune
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
1366x768 is horrific for most things

This is actually a very standard resolution for laptops. Anything larger and the items on your screen become fairly microscopic. Color me older, but my days of the largest resolution possible are starting to fade, and that DPI setting is inching closer every day haha.

Reactions: Monado_III

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
This is actually a very standard resolution for laptops. Anything larger and the items on your screen become fairly microscopic. Color me older, but my days of the largest resolution possible are starting to fade, and that DPI setting is inching closer every day haha.

Tell me about it... late P4 era had some nice greater than 1000 vertical res on laptops. core2 era happens and gone. Fortunately my eyes still work on me so I want the good res, something that has only recently started happening again.

Katsumi San

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
1366x768 resolution on the new laptop? I hope you are using an external monitor for most things with this. 1366x768 is horrific for most things, especially if you plan to do a bit of video editing.
I am not particularly up on my current US computer vendors right now but $1000 budget should get you something pretty decent, more than what you have there.

Back on the first laptop. Only 333MHz on the RAM, I hope that is the BIOS having not detected things. Stick 4 gigs of some nice 800MHz stuff (it should take it) and a SSD in that and it will be a nice little device for a while yet.

Oh yes, I have this Samsung tv set up with current laptop. I only have on current resolution setting because I do not mind it.

Now I think someone is say something about upgrading ram of new pc or such?

2yvjnty.jpg

Edit: I do know enough about computer to get around and then more. Plus I am familiar so laptop is not so user friendly with replace in ram slots or such things.

Edit2: Also I plan to do no gaming on my laptop. I never play games, this is why I buy consoles.

Last edited by Katsumi San,

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
On the RAM I was talking about your current laptop. 333MHz is crazy slow* so even if you do not run out of it a lot then it will still be slow. It is not the cheapest as prices went back up but 2 x 2 gig of 800Mhz DDR2 laptop ram is not going to break the bank. The hard drive is also slow but SSD drives have dropped a lot in price for decent sized ones, more than enough for an OS, browser and some videos/programs (120 gigs is cheap, 240 gigs is not much worse) to get things done.
Do both and you can probably eek that laptop along for a bit longer and save up some more for a fancy laptop.

*3 gigabytes is not a size that was sold so chances are you have a 2 gig stick and a 1 gig stick. I have seen people put really slow 1 gig sticks in and thus drag the rest of the machine down. To that end you might even be able to get away with a single 2 gig stick of decent speed.

Replacing laptop ram varies with the laptop. I reckon a solid 80% of them you just pop a cover on the back off and replace it simply (it will look something like http://cdn0.mos.techradar.futurecdn...es/install-laptop-memory/memory.08-580-75.jpg which is not hard at all). Some of the slightly older ones can be a pain and want you to remove a keyboard or something but should also just be a matter of following some basic instructions (RAM is one of the most common things to swap out so they do not make it too hard). I do not know what your current laptop is but http://image.dhgate.com/upload/20108/27/ff8080812868c9be012868d94b9b0e73/productimg1282230973073.jpg would possibly be the motherboard and that looks like one of the easier ones.

Katsumi San

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Sorry to bring of graveyard thread...

I finally decide after many time of thinking(still under $1000 budget!!) to settle with this thing here..

2vseqfc.jpg

This is okay for laptop needs, and is only $750 so I am good. I want to thank all pc masters here on gbatemp for tips.

Pikasack

What is a title
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Sorry to bring of graveyard thread...

I finally decide after many time of thinking(still under $1000 budget!!) to settle with this thing here..

2vseqfc.jpg

This is okay for laptop needs, and is only $750 so I am good. I want to thank all pc masters here on gbatemp for tips.

Dayum, not bad at all.
I'm building my own with an i5 and 8gbs of RAM.
Too bad I'm not putting in a GPU just yet...

Katsumi San

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Dayum, not bad at all.
I'm building my own with an i5 and 8gbs of RAM.
Too bad I'm not putting in a GPU just yet...

I actually went with get NVIDIA GeForce GTX 950M 4GB card and windows 10 operating system. Still under $1000 even $900!!

My laptop is support 16GB RAM.. But perhaps may become overkill. 8GB will do fine for the streaming/encoding of such game console.

Edit:
20i8m5u.jpg

Last edited by Katsumi San,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    S @ salazarcosplay: Good morning everyone