newbcake

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have a 2DS with V 9.2.0-20U firmware.

I want to run mainly a couple DS games, but also a few 3DS games. What flashcart can I get to do this? Or will I need 2?

From what I understand, Gateway will run 3DS roms, but only on the new update which comes out soon. As for Gateway (Blue) running old DS roms, I need V4 firmware or lower?

Or can I just get an R4i Wood/Gold 3DS for my 2DS and run old ROMs like so? Or a DSTwo?

DrunkenMonk

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
blue gateway (for regular DS) already works on the latest version I believe, though it's not exactly clear where I had been reading, it said it will work with the latest ds/dsi systems. Even then, I think it's safe to assume blue and red would both work on 9.2 after the update either way though :)

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
ok in regards to 3ds roms.....just hang tight and wait to see what gateways update enables, i wouldn't suggest a sky3ds due to the 10 game limit (ps thats ever, many people think its "per SD" or "at a time"....its not, its forever, you need another sky3ds to play another 10...over and over for as many games as you want/need.....if 10 is enough for you, and you want something asap feel free to get a sky3ds, but i have a feeling you may have buyers remorse)

in regards to NDS games, the blue card that comes with gateway only supports upto FW 6.2, so even if you did buy a gateway you would still need a separate NDS card, as the blue card wouldn't work on your console, one of the cheap R4i gold's should be fine, just make sure its a version that works on 9.2...or the DSTWO is better but also comes at a higher price

and final point is to not update any further, if a update come out, dont run it, gateway have said to stick at 9.2 until further notice

joepassive

Trophies
XP
Country
Israel
DSTWO gives you the complete package others can't. NDS Games, GBA, SNES. but 3DS....Nothing atm (sky3ds suck ass imo)

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
I have a 2DS with V 9.2.0-20U firmware.

I want to run mainly a couple DS games, but also a few 3DS games. What flashcart can I get to do this? Or will I need 2?

From what I understand, Gateway will run 3DS roms, but only on the new update which comes out soon. As for Gateway (Blue) running old DS roms, I need V4 firmware or lower?

Or can I just get an R4i Wood/Gold 3DS for my 2DS and run old ROMs like so? Or a DSTwo?
The blue card will probably never work on 9.x, but you can get a cheap card that does. The r4ids.cn R4i Gold is the best of the cheap DS carts, DSTWO is the best overall but costs more than twice of what a R4i Gold does.
You can get a R4i card that works on the latest version for as little as $4 but I would recommend paying a little more and get the r4ids.cn model. The r4ids.cn team have proven to be reliable at providing updates and support, the same can't be said for a lot of other teams.

Danjal

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
As pointed out by those above - for DS roms you will need a seperate card as there currently are none available that can do both.
There has been speculation that there will be, but that'd mean waiting those options out. And considering the costs of a DS card, I see little added value there unless you don't need/want to get one soon.

In which case its a question of are you satisfied with just limited functions for a lower cost - in which case one of the R4 cards would do the trick.
Or would you prefer some additional functionality, but at a price - in which case the DSTWO would be your best bet.

In terms of 3DS cards your current options are:
  1. Trade in your 9.x device / sell it and get a 4.x one instead.
    Then run with Gateway as the proven features are far superior to what else is available on the market right now.
  2. Get a SKY3DS which can run all games to date in a plug-and-play fashion and is currently being updated regularly with its template file and such.
    At the cost of a 10-game-max-limit that may or may not be removed. So basicly consider it paying $8 per game.
    It also lacks any additional features.
  3. Get a Gateway (or wait for the Gateway confirmation update and get one then).
    The Gateway is looking like the "best" option for those that believe that the 10-game-limit from SKY is not acceptable.
    However there is a strong possibility that the 9.x Gateway release will start off with limited functionality much like the 4.x Gateway originally did.
  4. Finally, and possibly even your "best bet" is to wait it out.
    Wait out the storm and see who remains on the top of the pile.
    More information will enable you to make a more informed decision, which means taking less risks on unproven cards/releases with unknown features or restrictions.
So ask yourself the following questions:
1 - Do I need this "now" or atleast very soon?
2 - What features do I value/desire?

Theoretically you could get a DS card now (either R4 or DSTWO depending on your preferences), then play those games while you wait for the 3DS storm to settle down.
Which I would personally consider to be a decent option especially if you never had the luxury of playing some of the many fine games that the DS has to offer.
You can only play one game at a time anyway and those 3DS games will be there still 3 months from now.

Silentsurvivor

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just do like I'm doing and wait. Everything's muddy right now. Work out some games from your backlog and sit back. Sky3DS has a 10 games limit as mentioned, and Gateway still has to share details on their update.

Soon enough there'll be clones of Sky3DS without the 10 game limit (or they might remove it themselves), and Gateway will have released their update... Then it'll be time to make a decision, in which I'd probably go Gateway.

Reactions: Danjal

newbcake

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
As pointed out by those above - for DS roms you will need a seperate card as there currently are none available that can do both.
There has been speculation that there will be, but that'd mean waiting those options out. And considering the costs of a DS card, I see little added value there unless you don't need/want to get one soon.

In which case its a question of are you satisfied with just limited functions for a lower cost - in which case one of the R4 cards would do the trick.
Or would you prefer some additional functionality, but at a price - in which case the DSTWO would be your best bet.

Theoretically you could get a DS card now (either R4 or DSTWO depending on your preferences), then play those games while you wait for the 3DS storm to settle down.
Which I would personally consider to be a decent option especially if you never had the luxury of playing some of the many fine games that the DS has to offer.
You can only play one game at a time anyway and those 3DS games will be there still 3 months from now.

For the R4, what is the difference between Gold, Wood, and any other version of the 3DS version?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Sorry for accidentally bending over