Hacking [Help] E3 NOR Flasher Problem

Stephano

pessimism = Realism
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I finally got my E3 NOR Flasher in the mail and am super stoked. I spent two hours taking apart and putting back together my FAT PS3. When it finally came to getting a backup with my flasher, i get blinking light representing an error. From what i know, this means there is a problem with the connection but am super bummed about having to take my PS3 apart again. What can i do to MAKE SURE that when i put it back together, i won't get an error.

Yes, my PS3 is a NOR and is downgradable.

Burnt Lasagna

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I just did this last week on a slim 2001a model.
However, mine was not a permanent install and I shutting to think of someone taking this route, at least with my model.

Your model motherboard probably doesn't require this but I had to shave the left side of the clip were a capacitor was causing it to be millimeters up-seated. Then I wadded three nickels in electrical tape and placed it on top of the seated clip (don't tape it to the board). After this, I was able to get good backups and a successful write to the NOR. I followed this guys video for most of it.

Though again, I took a different approach with the clip. Clamps are an over kill and taping it to the board causes more harm then good (in my experience). You just need a nice fit and (light) evenly applied pressure.

I know your wanting to do a permanent install with your E3. However, that's going to be a tad unpractical depending on your motherboard. Rumor has it, the E3 clip was only designed to fit snugly on the slim CECH-25xx models.

EDIT: I did hear of people placing a small bit of packing foam on top of the clip. Then the heat plate will actually apply pressure to the clip after being put back together. Though again, this clip is a pain in the ass to get fitted right (at least on some models). It took me two hours of fussing with to get it to read correctly and I had the board exposed.

Last edited by Burnt Lasagna,

Stephano

pessimism = Realism
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I just did this last week on a slim 2001a model.
However, mine was not a permanent install and I shutting to think of someone taking this route, at least with my model.

Your model motherboard probably doesn't require this but I had to shave the left side of the clip were a capacitor was causing it to be millimeters up-seated. Then I wadded three nickels in electrical tape and placed it on top of the seated clip (don't tape it to the board). After this, I was able to get good backups and a successful write to the NOR. I followed this guys video for most of it.

Though again, I took a different approach with the clip. Clamps are an over kill and taping it to the board causes more harm then good (in my experience). You just need a nice fit and (light) evenly applied pressure.

I know your wanting to do a permanent install with your E3. However, that's going to be a tad unpractical depending on your motherboard. Rumor has it, the E3 clip was only designed to fit snugly on the slim CECH-25xx models.

EDIT: I did hear of people placing a small bit of packing foam on top of the clip. Then the heat plate will actually apply pressure to the clip after being put back together. Though again, this clip is a pain in the ass to get fitted right (at least on some models). It took me two hours of fussing with to get it to read correctly and I had the board exposed.

I wasn't really planning on doing a permanent install. I just mainly wanted to get it downgraded, and then reassemble everything back to normal. I just put on two nickles onto the clip and i did hear about shaving the left and right sides. As for the tape, if i cant tape it to the board, what should i do. The only way to get my fat ps3 running again is if I resemble the whole thing. How can i be sure the clip stays in place?

Edit: I have been using that same video although he has a slim, not a fat :/

Last edited by Stephano,

Burnt Lasagna

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I just realized that you can't re-install the fan on the fat without basically reassembling the system...
You can try doing the packing foam thing I mentioned. Here is a video demonstrating it on a fat model.

You can try taping the foam to the front of the clip so it stays center while re-installing.

Stephano

pessimism = Realism
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I just realized that you can't re-install the fan on the fat without basically reassembling the system...
You can try doing the packing foam thing I mentioned. Here is a video demonstrating it on a fat model.

You can try taping the foam to the front of the clip so it stays center while re-installing.

I've run into a new problem. At one moment the blue lights were working, I adjust the sd card, and then the lights don't come on. I've shaved off part of the sides (the lights came on after that twice so I know I didn't break it) and packed it in with foam and tape but the lights won't come on :(

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @BigOnYa, Did you leave your buttplug in? +1