Gaming Help DS Lite does't see Flashcarts but....

Redhorse

Warehouse 13 Curator
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
(It's a Blue DS Lite) It's more complex than that... This DS lite is in prime condition. When turned on it instantlyrecognizes GB games, whether manual or auto, AND when a normal DS gameis in, it will start the DS game (even if theres a gb game in) BUT here's tjhe glitch, wiithout the GBA game, it won't recogniza ANY flash cart (DS2 or DSoni, just tested secodns ago in several other consoles to work)
It won't recog. the F cart with or without the settign on auto or manual, and or the GBA game IN or OUT., remember the sdhc chips are set firmly in their contacts hole as rechecked before and aft test-still working on all except the blue DS lite (console of concenr)

I have tried blowing in the holes, reinserting, several times untilo im blue in the face, no change..... BTW, I tested the Flash carts on 3ds XL, reg 3ds, New 3ds, DS litees, DSi XL, etc, all working .. EXCEPT the blue DS lite model, I'm trying to get it to recognize.

example if I have Golden Sun in GBA slot, unit set to auto and call of Duty in DS slot, start it, starting will result in CoD starting. IF the fully working Flash carts are there instread? it goes straight to GBA game or whe set to manaual doesn;t even show the F cart. REmember, both carts and their chips are firmly set and working everywhere excepot here..

ANY ideas? I'm stumped!!!!!

CMDreamer

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Blowing is something from the NES era, it was proved that instead of fixing anything it actually gets things worse.

As for your problem, can you test if there are false solder joints on the connectors? I don't have a DS, so I can't test and try your setup.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Sounds like a dodgy connection somewhere in that all. Putting a GBA cart in probably puts that little bit of stress on the board which in turn allows it to make contact, and DS flash carts have contact issues at the best of times.

Solutions beyond putting bits of paper in to force connections better are resolder the DS slot or replace it outright, it is a common enough fix to be done so you can usually find said slots on everything from amazon/ebay to flash cart sellers.

Redhorse

Warehouse 13 Curator
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
whe I said "blow in it" I actually used canned air, but the slot mis connected (poss. conection break) is a viable option based on the crazy mis matched behavior.

Thanks for the ideas guys.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

"reflow conector..." tell me you're kidding :wacko:

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Reflow the connector is the next step after checking for bent pins (happens from time to time on the DS, most often when someone puts something other than a cart into it) and spraying some contact cleaner around.

Hot air is nice to have for this but basic drag soldering can get it done.

Redhorse

Warehouse 13 Curator
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
(yeah, I was afraid you were serious...)Thanks, do you thik (wet- Either?) Electronic spray would work?... for cleaning pc boards ( battery out). Tryig to avoid takig it apart if poss. I'm getting older (54), hands are not as responsive as they used to be; diabetese and all those tiny shoulder springs are a bitch :nayps3:

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
PCB cleaner can be different to contact cleaner (which itself has multiple choices, though avoid the automotive stuff as it is designed for bigger problems than this and it will all be much of a muchness) and yeah that was the second step after visual inspection of the pins (it is usually really obvious if one is bent) in the list above. That said for cases other than green death, in this case imagine someone with greasy fingers fumbles with a cart and the grease goes on the pins inside the slot, simply inserting and ejecting the cart a bunch of times will provide similar results.

You do have access to the pins of the cart slot by just removing the back cover and no shoulder buttons. I would not try replacing it in that position but a reflow is doable, maybe get some kapton tape to help shield things if you want to play it safe. Equally if you wanted a mobile phone repair shop or someone similar would probably have the skills for this -- you are not asking for a complex diagnostic, just a solder reflow of an exposed part and you can test it without the back cover on if you wanted.

At that point I would have to consider whether trawling yard sales and such for the cheap ds lite to donate its board (assuming you like this one for the colour or other conditions) is a better choice. I see them go for not a lot these days, especially if you can get the classic pink one with scratched screens and a dead battery we all seek for these sorts of things. It might still be the slot but there are more fun things like a cracked PCB.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy: Can't wait for season 2