God
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
My friend told me that the Wii has some problems with HDTV, so I just wanted to confirm or disprove his sources.

So my questions are:

Can the Wii show a 1080p image? If not, what's the highest resolution it supports? And is there something I need to buy for it?

Can the Wii mess up your HDTV in any way? If so, how?

And finally, is there a point in playing it on a huge TV? Will the quality drop?

A huge thanks in advance to anyone who answers my questions.

Opium

PogoShell it to me ™
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Australia
The Wii does not output a HD picture. Although if you buy seperate component cables for it you can make it output at 480p instead of i.

It wont do anything harmful to a HD TV at all besides not look that good
tongue.gif

jumpman17

He's a semi-aquatic egg laying mammal of action!
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Now the better question is "Is it worth buying the $30 component cables if I'm going to be playing on a 27 inch old-school TV? Will I see a difference?"

Tomobobo

Champion.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The Wii can too mess up your HDTV. Don't wear your wriststrap, get drunk, and try to pitch on Wii Sports baseball as fast as you can.

serious_sean

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
the wii isnt going to mess up your tv. but i just got a new plasma, and wii looks fugly on it with composite cables. My advice is, get yourself some component cables if you have a large hdtv.

Destructobot

Crave the Hammer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Now the better question is "Is it worth buying the $30 component cables if I'm going to be playing on a 27 inch old-school TV? Will I see a difference?"
I saw a huge difference on my 27 inch standard def TV going from composite to S-video with my Gamecube, and a slightly bigger difference going from composite to component with my DVD player. My TV has very nice picture quality for a 3 year old $250 set. If your TV is crappy the difference may not be so noticeable, but if it's that crappy it probably doesn't have component inputs anyway.

If I had to choose between a Wii and 2 games or a Wii, 1 game and the component cable I'd get the cable.

Sevael

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
If your TV is new enough to support component video, then it's not "old-school".
smile.gif

Yes, component will always give the best picture quality. Screen size really doesn't factor into this at all. My buddy has a 14" CRT with component video input. When comparing composite to component, the difference is every bit as noticable on his TV as on my sister's 32" CRT. Only difference is you have to sit closer to my buddy's TV to watch it.
smile.gif

joemontana

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
i've seen all those posts about picture quality, and since i don't really care about tv nor am going to buy a new one, i thought i could use my 21'' monitor to play.

then i went to wii website, cos i remember reading ages ago that wii would be conectable to computer monitors in an easy way, not like ps2 or xbox were. so it was a bit wrong, although nintendo gave some clues on how to make wii to work with a computer monitor, unfortunelly not enough for me, but still possible to connect "With a Direct Connection (RGB or DVI Cables):
Nintendo does not manufacture any cables to make an RGB or DVI connection. While other companies may manufacture wires that can make this possible, we are not able to recommend them, as they are not licensed by Nintendo."

does anyone have any experience with that or could tell me what could be done regarding to the matter?

tks!!
smile.gif

RyuKakashi

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
i've seen all those posts about picture quality, and since i don't really care about tv nor am going to buy a new one, i thought i could use my 21'' monitor to play.

Nintendo does not manufacture any cables to make an RGB or DVI connection. While other companies may manufacture wires that can make this possible, we are not able to recommend them, as they are not licensed by Nintendo."

I also hoped Wii would have some cables to connect directly to DVI like 360 did but nope. It doesn't seem like it'll ever happen either.
There's less and less demand for this because of the rise of cheap LCD hdtvs as well as monitors that have native component inputs.

I ordered a VDigi VD-Z3 Component -> VGA Transcoder and Wii Component Cables totalling at 100$ or so to play on my 17 inch monitor.

Seems like a waste but, we'll see.

Tamyu

Trophies
Website
tamyu.net
XP
Country
i heard that there are cables to connect the Wii to a monitor, but only available in japan

I have yet to see an import site have it, and i'd assume the cables aren't region locked heh.
I've seen some weird cables japan has though....who knew they had so many video formats.

No, there aren`t any cables out or coming out here to connect it to a monitor. Japan just has the D cable format which LOOKS a lot like a monitor but is not.

Unless your monitor supports that, but that isn`t exactly a normal thing. About as common as a monitor supporting Component.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/IihvJBjUpNE?si=CsvoEbwzNKFf0GAm cool