Hacking Suggestion HD Rumble from Computer

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
I got this idea from the Joycon Driver which can make the left Joycon play the Mario Bros theme via Bluetooth. Is it possible to have a demo of HD Rumble with Bluetooth for people like me who don't want to spend 50€ for 1-2 Switch?
Wait what? Do you know if there is a video of this in action? I'd love to see that.

Reactions: Mnecraft368

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
But can it simulate three ice cubes in a glass though
No, but the way that works is actually really basic, having played the "guess the number of balls" game in 1-2-Switch I can explain how it works.
The game simulates ball physics in a box, controlled by the JoyCon. When the balls hit the sides, they make short bursts of vibration.
All you really do is count the number of bursts of vibration, accounting for the balls knocking into eachother also causing similar bursts of vibration.
Basically you move the JoyCon to one side and the rumble motor goes "bzz ... bzz bzz" as the balls hit one side. You move it towards the other side and it goes "bzz ... bzz bzz" again. Or maybe there's an extra "bzz" if the balls knock into eachother. You do that a few times and note down the most consistent number of "bzz", and there's your answer.
It really doesn't feel like there are balls moving around at all. It's actually rather disappointing once you try it.
I imagine the ice cube tech demo works very similarly.

Reactions: NekoMichi

Johannee

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
Wait what? Do you know if there is a video of this in action? I'd love to see that.
I'll maybe record it later
No, but the way that works is actually really basic, having played the "guess the number of balls" game in 1-2-Switch I can explain how it works.
The game simulates ball physics in a box, controlled by the JoyCon. When the balls hit the sides, they make short bursts of vibration.
All you really do is count the number of bursts of vibration, accounting for the balls knocking into eachother also causing similar bursts of vibration.
Basically you move the JoyCon to one side and the rumble motor goes "bzz ... bzz bzz" as the balls hit one side. You move it towards the other side and it goes "bzz ... bzz bzz" again. Or maybe there's an extra "bzz" if the balls knock into eachother. You do that a few times and note down the most consistent number of "bzz", and there's your answer.
It really doesn't feel like there are balls moving around at all. It's actually rather disappointing once you try it.
I imagine the ice cube tech demo works very similarly.
Thought it would be more than that since people seem to praise it so much and couldn't find any videos of the Mario Bros theme playing, probably gonna record it someday later

Ep8Script

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
It's actually quite amazing.

Download Joycon Toolkit, connect a joycon, click on ... naah... find the easteregg :D
They did, as they said in the OP... I think they want a full demo, similar to the ball count game, which just isn't available yet.

Reactions: TotalInsanity4

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
It's actually quite amazing.

They did, as they said in the OP... I think they want a full demo, similar to the ball count game, which just isn't available yet.
It's really not. But I'd like you to prove otherwise :P
Playing the Mario theme using rumble motors though... Now that is pretty impressive. Reminds me of the old days with people playing music using floppy drives.

Last edited by The Real Jdbye,
Reactions: CTCaer
D

Deleted User

I disagree, the minigame is quite a bit more sophisticated that that.
If you grasp the Joy-Con more firmly, you should notice that you can feel the balls working their way across the bottom to the other end. Try to turn it more slightly, and you should notice it.
It's not quite amazing, but it is pretty dang cool, or at least much better than you make it out to be.

Johannee

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
Here's my quick video of it playing the theme

Edit: This is the one from the Joycon-Driver, not the Toolkit which plays it in a different way, the Driver one is just more louder and clearer so I recorded that

Last edited by Johannee,
Reactions: CTCaer

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Here's my quick video of it playing the theme

Edit: This is the one from the Joycon-Driver, not the Toolkit which plays it in a different way, the Driver one is just more louder and clearer so I recorded that

That's a pretty bad rendition of the Super Mario Bros theme :P
It's not in tune and the pacing is all wrong.
But still pretty cool that you can do that with the JoyCons.
It would be even better if someone made it play midis. Although they would still sound like they're coming from a cheap toy with a buzzer (or an old PC Speaker)

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

I disagree, the minigame is quite a bit more sophisticated that that.
If you grasp the Joy-Con more firmly, you should notice that you can feel the balls working their way across the bottom to the other end. Try to turn it more slightly, and you should notice it.
It's not quite amazing, but it is pretty dang cool, or at least much better than you make it out to be.
I'll have to try it again. I did feel some vibration as they moved, I just didn't feel like it contributed to anything.
After how everyone has been praising the HD Rumble in that minigame, I expected more.

Reactions: TotalInsanity4
Trophies
Website
harshamohite.com
XP
Country
United States
It's the same thing the Steam Controller's haptic motors can do. The Steam Controllers can play small MIDI recordings by vibrating its haptics just like the Joycons. HD Rumble is just haptic feedback motors set around the perimeter of the Joycon. The Steam Controller's haptic motors are used to rumble under your fingers on the touch pads so you know exactly where your thumb is. Joycons just take this and apply it to the whole casing vs. just a touchpad.

Trophies
Website
harshamohite.com
XP
Country
United States
It's just one linear resonator in the bottom of the controller.
Oh, well, okay. I haven't looked at the schematics. Thanks for clearing that up, tho.

It felt really good to me. It was pretty awesome experiencing that for the first time, and it feels very realistic. Even in Mario Kart 8 Deluxe and Splatoon 2, you can feel texture through the rumble, which really adds to the game experience. Not disappointing for me in the slightest.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Or Genesis.