Bjarne Benden

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Hello

I have dug out my old WII and want to install the HBChannel on it.

I have V4.3E and I've successfully setup an SD card with Letterbomb.
I've managed to install bootmi as boot2.

But... When trying to install the HBChannel the WII *ALWAYS* does a halt, and dumps alot of values to the screen. DSI, stackdump and what not...

I have formatted my SD card several times, tried three different cards to no avail.

Wondering if this is a known fault, and if there is something I can do about it?

Regards
Bjarne

Bjarne Benden

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Clutz450: I followed the guide, and there was a point there that explained what I experienced, did that extra bit. Now it WORKS :)) Thanks for the pointer.

tech3475: Thanks for the tip, I already had the latest but I followed the tips in the first link and it worked great:)

Regards

Bjarne.

Reactions: Clutz450

Bjarne Benden

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Hello again.

I'm really confused now...

I setup the WII with GX usb loader and put a couple of games on a USB HDD, worked like a champ.

Today when I wanted to try a little more the WII starts to 'stutter' the hand that you control on the screen, this is seen on the HomeBrewChannel and in the USB loader.
When I try to load something it just dumps alot of text to the screen and says 'reloading in 20 seconds',

Wondering, is it possible that one of the games may have put in some ios files that the HBC et. al does not like?

Trying to redo the hack fails at the point where casper-hackmii worked earlier.....
Also, the stuttering does not occur when in normal wii menu.

Regards
Bjarne

Clutz450

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You say "when you try to load something". What exactly are you loading when you get the stack dump? Are you loading an app from the Homebrew Channel and then you get it? Or is it when you try and load a Wii game from USB Loader GX? Take a picture of the stack dump and maybe someone will be able to read it and know what it mean. Not me though. lol.

Bjarne Benden

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Hello

Well, I see that my explaination was at best vague. :) It was written in despair :))

My Wii is very strange and I suspect it was one of the games I tried that made it that way. Not sure though... The reason I think it was a game is that after reading the guide linked I see that I skipped the part where one would set preloader to protect for updates from games.

No matter what I try to load now, DOP-Mii, HBC, Casper-Hackmii, IOS installers the Wii is not responding correctly to button presses, the "cursor", beeing either the Nintendo hand or the more 'textbased' one when in the various tools just stutters around the screen. If i almost accidently manages to hit the correct choices the tools hangs, reboots the Wii or just throws back an error. The worst part is that it is not consistent, the tools loaded behave differently from time to time.

What did the trick the first time was the casper-hackme fix, now this one will not work.

Wondering if this could be a more serisous fault, like a hardware fault.

The thing is that this has now almost become and obsession... :) Wondering what the best way to clean out every softmod stuff would be so I can maybe start over again. I have a NAND backup but no GCcontroller so I cannot do the KONAMI sequence asked for restore..

Alot of ramblings there..

To sum it up. Softmod gone bad, wii stutters and fails all tools etc. except for Nintendo system menus, softmod tools will not run again, unable to restore NAND due to no GC Controller...

Regards
Bjarne

Last edited by Bjarne Benden,

Clutz450

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Try doing the Softmod Any Wii guide I linked to earlier all over again. Just do the whole thing over and it may fix itself.

GreyWolf

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
HackMii Installer's letterbomb doesn't work? If everything works in the system menu but not any homebrew it could be a device compatibility issue. What are you using for your homebrew app and game backup storage?

Usually jerky pointer indicates that the remote is having trouble picking up the sensor bar's IR but that shouldn't change from system menu to homebrew.

Last edited by GreyWolf,

Bjarne Benden

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Hello

I have now tested back and forth alot. And I have now found out that the softmod actually works, and has been all the time after I managed to softmod the first time.

I have found the culprit to be the Nunchuck controller. This is reproducable the following way. If I load a game thru USBLoader, the reset the Wii by using the 'home' button on the controller then select 'wii menu' there, the next time I load USBloader the Wii cursor is totally screwed up. If I remove the Nucnuck controller and reboot again, then the Wii is stable again and I can replug the Nunchuck controller again.

It took a while before I understood this as I thought maybe a game had managed to brick my wii as I had forgotten (overlooked) the points in the guide where one sould activate different brick prevention options and I could not get the wii to be stable enough to reapply the softmod. I eventually got tired of the Nunchuck hanging there in my several attempts to softmod and thus disconnected it and then everything just worked...

So, my conclusion is that the Nunchuck needs to be disconnected when these jerky movements happens..

Thanks for all help and pointers.

Regards
Bjarne.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    LeoTCK @ LeoTCK: yes for nearly a month i was officially a wanted fugitive, until yesterday when it ended