Tutorial  Updated

Haxchi Mod - Custom redNAND Launch Title

Just to keep myself safe from blame...
PLEASE DO NOT ATTEMPT THIS UNLESS YOU KNOW WHAT YOU ARE DOING

I decided to just make a new thread dedicated to everything I've modified and created to have a "custom title" on sysNAND that launches redNAND
It makes use of Haxchi, a DS VC exploit originally released by @smealum and then modified by @FIX94 to launch HBL and work for other games.

UPDATE: The latest commit for FIX94's haxchi includes a version with cfwbooter built in, omitting the need for cfwboot.elf. Files and instructions have been updated to reflect this.

Latest install.py version: 2.1.1
New in this version:
  • Fixed bug in uploading config.txt (for some reason I made it upload to config.ini -_-)
Features:
  • Allows input of any low ID, meaning it will automatically work with future exploit games (and can possibly be used to inject DS games, untested)
  • Makes sure the game and location provided actually exist before attempting to install
  • Automatically downloads and modifies meta.xml with user-defined name
  • Installs files from SD instead of uploading over network, which greatly increases speed (especially for the larger .tga meta files)

As for the modified iosuhax, you will have to compile a new fw.img from the github below
https://github.com/TheCyberQuake/iosuhax

NEW INSTALLER AND INSTALL PROCESS:
Finally got around to fixing up the installer.
It's now a universal installer, and should work automatically with future exploit games.

Download install.py from below, and place in the same folder as wupclient.py
https://mega.nz/#!xVVAHRgL!cMJdtZD6sLp0TIQ7q6BIjNzk5xB25jr8qamy423zUoE

From there you can either download a pre-made install pack from below and place it's files onto the SD card within a folder called haxchi (i.e. sd:/haxchi), or you can place any rom.zip and config.txt in /haxchi, and meta files within /haxchi/meta (excluding meta.xml, which will automatically be modified later).
https://mega.nz/#F!lRFgzSJY!ANFeNyPwRM_SjlH23ca4Zg
At this point I recommend grabbing the official haxchi from fix94, at least until I can rework my install packs or find a better way to do it while still being user friendly.

From there you can run wupserver on the Wii U (by loading fw.img with CFW Booter or haxchi).

You can then either double-click install.py, or type "python install.py" into command prompt/terminal

Enter the low ID of the game you wish to install to (can be found on this github page, it's the last 8 characters of the full 16 character title ID), and then enter the games install location (USB or NAND).
From there the script will install haxchi's rom.zip from sd:/haxchi, and the meta files from sd:/haxchi/meta. After that it will download meta.xml over the network to the PC, and then ask for what you wish the custom name to be (i.e. the name that shows up on home menu), then modify meta.xml to meta.xml.tmp, and then finally upload back to the Wii U.

Finally, the script will attempt to install config.txt, which is needed for the latest haxchi versions made by FIX94. If it succeeds (meaning the file existed on SD) it will also apply chmod 0x644 to the file to make it properly work with haxchi.

Last edited by TheCyberQuake,

NintendU_the_great

OFFICIAL GBATEMP TROLLER
Banned
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
India
The only DS VC game I have is Partners in Time ;-;
do what I do. Use cfw booter to boot fw.img (FIX94 one) and install a usable DS VC game. then hack it. this way, it will still work (haxchi) but you will have to boot cfw booter online from web browser first. I know, it is useless then, but believe me, opening homebrew launcher from the website right after opening cfw booter is much slower! plus, this is better than nothing! (I am broke, so can't buy DS Virtual Console game)

Pecrow

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Reactions: TarkinMX

Pecrow

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks!! You made me Happy!!!!!!!!!!
What software do i need to convert save the properly? for future ...
I Downloaded the files from my VC, then opened them with Photoshop, copied new images, merged them all into the background, then saved out. (If you merge all your changes to the original locked background you dont need to change anything, or set x options, just save) and that's it :)

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

I also made another one for fw.img, https://mega.nz/#!c8NzXaRI!KZy2i4E_OPYNdh6IE57wBDEa07lpcxmZAokAlHF29ZI
I bought 2 VC games, one for HBL and another one for FW.IMG to boot sigpatched sysnand :)

Reactions: TarkinMX

SpaceJump

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I gave this a go and started Wupserver using Fix94 iosu fw.img, that boots into sysNand. I started the Wupclient with "python -i wupclient.py" and then entered the following line:

w.up("rom.zip", "/vol/storage_mlc01/usr/title/00050000/10179C00/content/0010/rom.zip")

It started doing something (some letters and numbers were briefly shown), but now it sits on this in the client:
>>> 0x1ca042
>>> 0x0
>>> 0x0
>>> w.up("rom.zip", "/vol/storage_mlc01/usr/title/00050000/10179C00/content/0010/rom.zip")
>>> f0

Screenshot:
http://www.pic-upload.de/view-32104723/error.png.html

It's like this for a few minutes now. I guess it isn't supposed to take so long. Any idea?

Last edited by SpaceJump,

Pecrow

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I gave this a go and started Wupserver using Fix94 iosu fw.img, that boots into sysNand. I started the Wupclient with "python -i wupclient.py" and then entered the following line:

w.up("rom.zip", "/vol/storage_mlc01/usr/title/00050000/10179C00/content/0010/rom.zip")

It started doing something (some letters and numbers were briefly shown), but now it sits on this in the client:
>>> f0

Screenshot:
http://www.pic-upload.de/view-32104723/error.png.html

It's like this for a few minutes now. I guess it isn't supposed to take so long. Any idea?

That means its done :-) restart and test.

veraci_00

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
this may sound like a stupid question, but how do u start the process? what elf do I enter for the wupserver client? surely, u don't do this on the home menu. that's where I'm lost.

jbuck1975

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just to keep myself safe from blame...
PLEASE DO NOT ATTEMPT THIS UNLESS YOU KNOW WHAT YOU ARE DOING

I decided to just make a new thread dedicated to everything I've modified and created to have a "custom title" on sysNAND that launches redNAND
It makes use of Haxchi, a DS VC exploit originally released by @smealum and then modified by @FIX94 to launch HBL and work for other games.

UPDATE: The latest commit for FIX94's haxchi includes a version with cfwbooter built in, omitting the need for cfwboot.elf. Files and instructions have been updated to reflect this.

Here is what I've currently done to make this entire project:
  • Modified FIX94's fork of haxchi to instead boot /wiiu/boot/cfwboot.elf instead of /wiiu/apps/homebrew_launcher/homebrew_launcher.elf
  • Modified Dimok's cfwbooter to launch fw.img from /wiiu/boot instead of SD root
  • Modified Dimok's iosuhax to launch fw.img from /wiiu/boot when the firmware reloads (entering and exiting system settings)
  • Created custom meta files to theme DS VC titles to look nice
  • Modified FIX94's latest haxchi commit, omitting the need for cfwboot.elf (it's built into the rom.zip now, but still needed to be modified to load fw.img from /wiiu/boot)
For the modified haxchi files and the meta files you can get them from here:
https://mega.nz/#F!QV8CgJIQ!yB0s5pzMtSXUV96CQ2rrRQ

As for the modified iosuhax, you will have to compile a new fw.img from the github below
https://github.com/TheCyberQuake/iosuhax

To begin this, you will want to download the correct .zip file from MEGA (link above) for your game, either kirby.zip, brainage.zip, or yoshids.zip.

Rename the downloaded file to "rom.zip", and place it in the same folder as your wupclient.py

Enter either redNAND or sysNAND with WUPServer (requires already having fix94's sysNAND WUPServer fw.img)
Start wupclient.py
python -i wupclient.py​

The command to upload the rom.zip will differ depending on install location and game:

USB
w.up("rom.zip", "/vol/storage_usb01/usr/title/00050000/*YOUR_GAME_TITLE_ID*/content/0010/rom.zip")​
NAND
w.up("rom.zip", "/vol/storage_mlc01/usr/title/00050000/*YOUR_GAME_TITLE_ID*/content/0010/rom.zip")​

Replace *YOUR_GAME_TITLE_ID* with the ID that corresponds to your game and region
10179B00 - US Brain Age
10179C00 - PAL Brain Training
10198A00 - US Yoshi's Island DS
10198A00 - PAL Yoshi's Island DS
101A5600 - US Kirby Squeak Squad
101A5700 - PAL Kirby Mouse Attack

After issuing that command, haxchi will be installed. In order for it to work, we now need to properly set up the SD card.

You will then also have to compile the modified iosuhax from my github posted above, or find a precompiled on an iso site.
Take the new fw.img and place it on the SD in /wiiu/boot/fw.img
After that, you are ready to give it a test boot. Launch the DS VC game you hacked, and it should then launch the fw.img and open redNAND.

The final steps are just to theme the VC title to look nicer, and do not need to be done.
Download the redNAND meta.zip file from MEGA, and unzip it's contents to the same directory as wupclient.py
Then depending on your game's install location you will use these commands to upload the files:

USB
w.up("bootTvTex.tga", "/vol/storage_usb01/usr/title/00050000/*YOUR_GAME_TITLE_ID*/meta/bootTvTex.tga")
w.up("bootDrcTex.tga", "/vol/storage_usb01/usr/title/00050000/*YOUR_GAME_TITLE_ID*/meta/bootDrcTex.tga")
w.up("iconTex.tga", "/vol/storage_usb01/usr/title/00050000/*YOUR_GAME_TITLE_ID*/meta/iconTex.tga")
w.up("bootSound.btsnd", "/vol/storage_usb01/usr/title/00050000/*YOUR_GAME_TITLE_ID*/meta/bootSound.btsnd")
w.dl("/vol/storage_usb01/usr/title/00050000/*YOUR_GAME_TITLE_ID*/meta/meta.xml")​
NAND
w.up("bootTvTex.tga", "/vol/storage_mlc01/usr/title/00050000/*YOUR_GAME_TITLE_ID*/meta/bootTvTex.tga")
w.up("bootDrcTex.tga", "/vol/storage_mlc01/usr/title/00050000/*YOUR_GAME_TITLE_ID*/meta/bootDrcTex.tga")
w.up("iconTex.tga", "/vol/storage_mlc01/usr/title/00050000/*YOUR_GAME_TITLE_ID*/meta/iconTex.tga")
w.up("bootSound.btsnd", "/vol/storage_mlc01/usr/title/00050000/*YOUR_GAME_TITLE_ID*/meta/bootSound.btsnd")
w.dl("/vol/storage_mlc01/usr/title/00050000/*YOUR_GAME_TITLE_ID*/meta/meta.xml")​

Once again replace *YOUR_GAME_TITLE_ID* in these commands with the ID that corresponds to your game and region
10179B00 - US Brain Age
10179C00 - PAL Brain Training
10198A00 - US Yoshi's Island DS
10198A00 - PAL Yoshi's Island DS
101A5600 - US Kirby Squeak Squad
101A5700 - PAL Kirby Mouse Attack

The final item to modify is meta.xml. Inlcuded in the commands above is the command that downloads the meta.xml for your specific game.
Open meta.xml that is in your wupclient directory with a text editor (I recommend Notepad++), then modify two lines to look something like this (only modify in the area colored red):
<longname_en type="string" length="512">redNAND w/ Signature Patches</longname_en>
<shortname_en type="string" length="256">redNAND</shortname_en>

Save the file, then reupload using one of these commands:

USB
w.up("meta.xml", "/vol/storage_usb01/usr/title/00050000/*YOUR_GAME_TITLE_ID*/meta/meta.xml")​
NAND
w.up("meta.xml", "/vol/storage_mlc01/usr/title/00050000/*YOUR_GAME_TITLE_ID*/meta/meta.xml")​

After that completes, turn off the Wii U, unplug it, and then plug it back in. Boot the Wii U, and the VC title should now look like a custom app.

I like this intro to redNAND better than Can't touch this !

Pecrow

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
this may sound like a stupid question, but how do u start the process? what elf do I enter for the wupserver client? surely, u don't do this on the home menu. that's where I'm lost.
Search that iso site, there is a wupserver fw.bin in the tutorial section, you boot into it from cfwbooter(dont remember the name)

veraci_00

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've already created the fw.bin using my otp. what I don't understand is do u enter the commands on the home menu?

Arck

Trophies
XP
Country
can we make a custom path to the elf to load in the rom.zip (with a hex editor)
Or it can brick ?
I'd like to load the tcpgecko loader

TheCyberQuake

Certified Geek
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've already created the fw.bin using my otp. what I don't understand is do u enter the commands on the home menu?
You need to use wupclient.py on your computer to input the commands

can we make a custom path to the elf to load in the rom.zip (with a hex editor)
Or it can brick ?
I'd like to load the tcpgecko loader
I'm going to create another custom version that will instead boot /wiiu/contenthax.elf, which can be whatever program you want.

TheCyberQuake can you give us the meta for the homebrew channel
https://mega.nz/#!FtUByLxT!5NtdCASNwzd1inZT_1WfJN-EeCfhoeMXQAb6p702OVk thanks to @Pecrow
You are correct :)

Right now I'm uploading the bootTvTex.tga. This does seem to take really long, isn't it?
Yes it does take a while. I am currently testing another method to transfer the files to the Wii U that should be faster and lower the amount of commands needed to install this.

veraci_00

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
where on the wii u should I be when I input those commands? on the home menu? does the fw.img allow for ftp on the home menu?

TheCyberQuake

Certified Geek
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
where on the wii u should I be when I input those commands? on the home menu? does the fw.img allow for ftp on the home menu?
You just let the system idle on home menu while you input commands, though I will be making pretty big edits to my instructions in the next few hours, which should expedite the install time as well as make it easier by creating python scripts that will basically automate everything. It will probably take a few hours, and if I don't finish before work it will be delayed till tonight.

Reactions: veraci_00

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Veho @ Veho: The cybertruck is a death trap.