Tutorial  Updated

Haxchi Mod - Custom redNAND Launch Title

Just to keep myself safe from blame...
PLEASE DO NOT ATTEMPT THIS UNLESS YOU KNOW WHAT YOU ARE DOING

I decided to just make a new thread dedicated to everything I've modified and created to have a "custom title" on sysNAND that launches redNAND
It makes use of Haxchi, a DS VC exploit originally released by @smealum and then modified by @FIX94 to launch HBL and work for other games.

UPDATE: The latest commit for FIX94's haxchi includes a version with cfwbooter built in, omitting the need for cfwboot.elf. Files and instructions have been updated to reflect this.

Latest install.py version: 2.1.1
New in this version:
  • Fixed bug in uploading config.txt (for some reason I made it upload to config.ini -_-)
Features:
  • Allows input of any low ID, meaning it will automatically work with future exploit games (and can possibly be used to inject DS games, untested)
  • Makes sure the game and location provided actually exist before attempting to install
  • Automatically downloads and modifies meta.xml with user-defined name
  • Installs files from SD instead of uploading over network, which greatly increases speed (especially for the larger .tga meta files)

As for the modified iosuhax, you will have to compile a new fw.img from the github below
https://github.com/TheCyberQuake/iosuhax

NEW INSTALLER AND INSTALL PROCESS:
Finally got around to fixing up the installer.
It's now a universal installer, and should work automatically with future exploit games.

Download install.py from below, and place in the same folder as wupclient.py
https://mega.nz/#!xVVAHRgL!cMJdtZD6sLp0TIQ7q6BIjNzk5xB25jr8qamy423zUoE

From there you can either download a pre-made install pack from below and place it's files onto the SD card within a folder called haxchi (i.e. sd:/haxchi), or you can place any rom.zip and config.txt in /haxchi, and meta files within /haxchi/meta (excluding meta.xml, which will automatically be modified later).
https://mega.nz/#F!lRFgzSJY!ANFeNyPwRM_SjlH23ca4Zg
At this point I recommend grabbing the official haxchi from fix94, at least until I can rework my install packs or find a better way to do it while still being user friendly.

From there you can run wupserver on the Wii U (by loading fw.img with CFW Booter or haxchi).

You can then either double-click install.py, or type "python install.py" into command prompt/terminal

Enter the low ID of the game you wish to install to (can be found on this github page, it's the last 8 characters of the full 16 character title ID), and then enter the games install location (USB or NAND).
From there the script will install haxchi's rom.zip from sd:/haxchi, and the meta files from sd:/haxchi/meta. After that it will download meta.xml over the network to the PC, and then ask for what you wish the custom name to be (i.e. the name that shows up on home menu), then modify meta.xml to meta.xml.tmp, and then finally upload back to the Wii U.

Finally, the script will attempt to install config.txt, which is needed for the latest haxchi versions made by FIX94. If it succeeds (meaning the file existed on SD) it will also apply chmod 0x644 to the file to make it properly work with haxchi.

Last edited by TheCyberQuake,

TheCyberQuake

Certified Geek
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
chmod isnt doing anything to config.txt in my new vc game i got
Have you tried manually installing everything using the instructions on github?
https://github.com/fix94/haxchi
It seems you're problems are not being caused by my script. If you still have problems after manually installing using the github instructions then ask in the official haxchi thread because I can't help you.

Dungeonseeker

Trophies
XP
Country
@TheCyberQuake How do I go about upgrading an existing install to the latest version?

I've already got Haxchi installed to Brain Training but its the old version without config.txt and the ability to boot different homebrew by holding different buttons.

To upgrade to the latest Haxchi do I need to delete the old title from my console, redownload then reapply Haxchi or can I simply rerun the latest Haxchi script to my existing install?

TheCyberQuake

Certified Geek
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@TheCyberQuake How do I go about upgrading an existing install to the latest version?

I've already got Haxchi installed to Brain Training but its the old version without config.txt and the ability to boot different homebrew by holding different buttons.

To upgrade to the latest Haxchi do I need to delete the old title from my console, redownload then reapply Haxchi or can I simply rerun the latest Haxchi script to my existing install?
You can simply rerun the script with the new files

Sent from my SM-G386T using Tapatalk

Reactions: Dungeonseeker

Mauste

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I started modifying my Wii U yesterday and I got RedNAND running, and I would like to avoid using Internet Browser to launch RedNAND.
However, this tutorial is very bad for someone who just started all this.

For example, after compiling the modified iosuhax from this thread, I have no idea what I should be doing.

First paragraph:
"Download install.py from below, and place in the same folder as wupclient.py"
where is this wupclient.py located? Or do I need to do this before compiling the new fw.img? Or do I just copy the wupclient.py to a random location and put the install.py there?

Then next paragraph:
"From there you can either download a pre-made install pack from below"
First you say "from there" and then you say "from below"? Or are you actually meaning "next you can..." by saying "from there you can..."?
Secondly, if I download a pre-made install pack, do I still need to grab the official haxchi from Fix94?

No offense, but this tutorial is a mess. I am sure it makes sense for some of you since you have been working with this subject longer. However, for a complete newbie like me, this is super unclear and confusing.
Could someone make a simple step by step guide?

Last edited by Mauste,

BIFFTAZ

Trophies
XP
Country
I started modifying my Wii U yesterday and I got RedNAND running, and I would like to avoid using Internet Browser to launch RedNAND.
However, this tutorial is very bad for someone who just started all this.

For example, after compiling the modified iosuhax from this thread, I have no idea what I should be doing.

First paragraph:
"Download install.py from below, and place in the same folder as wupclient.py"
where is this wupclient.py located? Or do I need to do this before compiling the new fw.img? Or do I just copy the wupclient.py to a random location and put the install.py there?

Then next paragraph:
"From there you can either download a pre-made install pack from below"
First you say "from there" and then you say "from below"? Or are you actually meaning "next you can..." by saying "from there you can..."?
Secondly, if I download a pre-made install pack, do I still need to grab the official haxchi from Fix94?

No offense, but this tutorial is a mess. I am sure it makes sense for some of you since you have been working with this subject longer. However, for a complete newbie like me, this is super unclear and confusing.
Could someone make a simple step by step guide?

Just to keep myself safe from blame...
PLEASE DO NOT ATTEMPT THIS UNLESS YOU KNOW WHAT YOU ARE DOING

Mauste

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
That is only a warning just to keep himself from blame, like it reads. It is not an excuse not to make a proper tutorial.
For example it is not because of my technical know-how that I cannot understand this tutorial. I cannot understand it, because it is simply too vague and leaves the reader guessing.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: yawn