Tutorial  Updated

Haxchi Mod - Custom redNAND Launch Title

Just to keep myself safe from blame...
PLEASE DO NOT ATTEMPT THIS UNLESS YOU KNOW WHAT YOU ARE DOING

I decided to just make a new thread dedicated to everything I've modified and created to have a "custom title" on sysNAND that launches redNAND
It makes use of Haxchi, a DS VC exploit originally released by @smealum and then modified by @FIX94 to launch HBL and work for other games.

UPDATE: The latest commit for FIX94's haxchi includes a version with cfwbooter built in, omitting the need for cfwboot.elf. Files and instructions have been updated to reflect this.

Latest install.py version: 2.1.1
New in this version:
  • Fixed bug in uploading config.txt (for some reason I made it upload to config.ini -_-)
Features:
  • Allows input of any low ID, meaning it will automatically work with future exploit games (and can possibly be used to inject DS games, untested)
  • Makes sure the game and location provided actually exist before attempting to install
  • Automatically downloads and modifies meta.xml with user-defined name
  • Installs files from SD instead of uploading over network, which greatly increases speed (especially for the larger .tga meta files)

As for the modified iosuhax, you will have to compile a new fw.img from the github below
https://github.com/TheCyberQuake/iosuhax

NEW INSTALLER AND INSTALL PROCESS:
Finally got around to fixing up the installer.
It's now a universal installer, and should work automatically with future exploit games.

Download install.py from below, and place in the same folder as wupclient.py
https://mega.nz/#!xVVAHRgL!cMJdtZD6sLp0TIQ7q6BIjNzk5xB25jr8qamy423zUoE

From there you can either download a pre-made install pack from below and place it's files onto the SD card within a folder called haxchi (i.e. sd:/haxchi), or you can place any rom.zip and config.txt in /haxchi, and meta files within /haxchi/meta (excluding meta.xml, which will automatically be modified later).
https://mega.nz/#F!lRFgzSJY!ANFeNyPwRM_SjlH23ca4Zg
At this point I recommend grabbing the official haxchi from fix94, at least until I can rework my install packs or find a better way to do it while still being user friendly.

From there you can run wupserver on the Wii U (by loading fw.img with CFW Booter or haxchi).

You can then either double-click install.py, or type "python install.py" into command prompt/terminal

Enter the low ID of the game you wish to install to (can be found on this github page, it's the last 8 characters of the full 16 character title ID), and then enter the games install location (USB or NAND).
From there the script will install haxchi's rom.zip from sd:/haxchi, and the meta files from sd:/haxchi/meta. After that it will download meta.xml over the network to the PC, and then ask for what you wish the custom name to be (i.e. the name that shows up on home menu), then modify meta.xml to meta.xml.tmp, and then finally upload back to the Wii U.

Finally, the script will attempt to install config.txt, which is needed for the latest haxchi versions made by FIX94. If it succeeds (meaning the file existed on SD) it will also apply chmod 0x644 to the file to make it properly work with haxchi.

Last edited by TheCyberQuake,

TheCyberQuake

Certified Geek
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Exactly there is a total lack of instructions as to how to set this up.
The instructions already exist in other threads or github.
installing haxchi is the exact same as fix94's version and is documented in github:
https://github.com/TheCyberQuake/haxchi
As for modifying meta files, it's sprinked throughout comments in another thread.
But I'll write up some instructions in a bit.

Kafluke

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I decided to just make a new thread dedicated to everything I've modified and created to have a "custom title" on sysNAND that launches redNAND
It makes use of Haxchi, a DS VC exploit originally released by @smealum and then modified by @FIX94 to launch HBL and work for other games.

Here is what I've currently done to make this entire project:
  • Modified FIX94's fork of haxchi to instead boot /wiiu/boot/cfwboot.elf instead of /wiiu/apps/homebrew_launcher/homebrew_launcher.elf
  • Modified Dimok's cfwbooter to launch fw.img from /wiiu/boot instead of SD root
  • Modified Dimok's iosuhax to launch fw.img from /wiiu/boot when the firmware reloads (entering and exiting system settings)
  • Created custom meta files to theme DS VC titles to look nice
For the modified cfwboot.elf, haxchi files and the meta files you can get them from here:
https://mega.nz/#F!QV8CgJIQ!yB0s5pzMtSXUV96CQ2rrRQ

As for the modified iosuhax, you will have to compile a new fw.img from the github below
https://github.com/TheCyberQuake/iosuhax

Great work! Anyway you could do a us version of the homebrew channel?

Reactions: Pecrow

AmandaRose

Do what I do. Hold tight and pretend it’s a plan
Trophies
Website
www.rockstarnorth.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
The instructions already exist in other threads or github.
installing haxchi is the exact same as fix94's version and is documented in github:
https://github.com/TheCyberQuake/haxchi
As for modifying meta files, it's sprinked throughout comments in another thread.
But I'll write up some instructions in a bit.
While I get your point about the info being in other threads it's never a good idea to try something like this when you have to switch between various threads to get info that is how steps get missed and expense errors occur lol so I will wait a bit longer until you add all the info here before trying.

soulkyo

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi, just to make it clear for me, I've been reading a lot of information across the pages and I couldn't make a conclusion. The only way to get a working DS game for this exploit is buying it from the eShop right? Or can we do it with the patched sysNand method?

TheCyberQuake

Certified Geek
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi, just to make it clear for me, I've been reading a lot of information across the pages and I couldn't make a conclusion. The only way to get a working DS game for this exploit is buying it from the eShop right? Or can we do it with the patched sysNand method?
You need to buy it legit. There is no "patched sysnand" right now, the most we have is a CFW for sysNAND that ONLY has WUPserver, which allows us to install haxchi and download file from the Wii U, but nothing else other than reading and limited writing to the Wii U.

Reactions: soulkyo

Nikolay

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah you have to buy a game, your options right now are Brain Age, Yoshi's Island DS and Kirby Squeak Squad until other VC DS games are ported

Reactions: soulkyo

iAqua

Trophies
Country
United Kingdom
Does this really need a seperate thread? I know it's a nice mod in all, but it really doesn't need another thread. Anyways it's a nice mod, :).

TheCyberQuake

Certified Geek
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Does this really need a seperate thread? I know it's a nice mod in all, but it really doesn't need another thread. Anyways it's a nice mod, :).
To me it felt like I was pushing too much info into the other thread any time I had an update, so I felt it would be best to place it here so I don't spam the other thread and it makes these files easier to find for those who want it.

iAqua

Trophies
Country
United Kingdom
To me it felt like I was pushing too much info into the other thread any time I had an update, so I felt it would be best to place it here so I don't spam the other thread and it makes these files easier to find for those who want it.
Hrm, well I guess that's a good point, sorry if it sounded like I was hating. Just a little tired of hundreds of new threads for small things, sorry. <3

Reactions: TheCyberQuake

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: 🫂 +1