Hacking Havent been keeping up with things. I have the O3DS with firmware 9.9.0-26U. Advice please.

gldoorii

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I haven't touched my 3DS in quite awhile and I'm curious what can be done with it in regards to homebrew etc. I was interested in a flashcart, but now I'm reading stuff about running 3DS games from the SD card. Some articles talk about a Gateway being required and some say you don't need one. I've reading stuff about downgrading firmwares too. Trying to figure out where my 3DS stands in all this. I have the O3DS with firmware 9.9.0-26U.

Is it possible for me to play 3DS games (CIA files iirc?) from my SD card without the need of a Gateway etc?

Hope you guys are having a good weekend and thanks for the responses.

Robmead23

Trophies
XP
You can downgrade using safesysupdater once done you can set up a cfw and wont need a flashcart. All the tutorials you will need are on site and if you need help there are many people who can help but its very easy if you follow the instruction carefully

Retroman957

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
With 9.9 you can run browserhax to run the homebrew launcher i would suggest using the tubehax dns to prevent the update message from showing up. info here http://yls8.mtheall.com/3dsbrowserhax.php

If browserhax doesnt work out you can try ironfall (if you have it), ocarina of time 3D or Cubic ninja
if these methods fail you can install menuhax manually using this guide https://gbatemp.net/threads/tutorial-how-to-install-2-5-on-themehax-manually.400784/

Once you open the homebrew launcher you could use sysupdater to downgrade to 9.2 although it does include a small risk of a brick its worth it here is a full tutorial on how to downgrade with sysupdaterhttps://gbatemp.net/threads/tutorial-downgrade-3ds-with-sysupdater.407924/

As for running games off of the SD card for that you would need to install rxtools Which there is a full guide on here http://gbatemp.net/threads/tutorial-installing-rxtools-custom-firmware-3ds-and-2ds.390867/ this guide worked for me on FW 9.2.

Once you install RxTools you can inject fbi then install devmenu which can install cia's (3DS Games)

Happy Hacking :)

D

Deleted User

For your purposes (running 3DS games off of the SD card as .cias), downgrading seems to be a good idea. Though I do encourage you to check out what you can do besides that. There are some really cool homebrew apps out there that aren't dependent on your system having kernel access, like Picroxx, Draw Attack!, or if you're into emulation, the Retroarch cores that have been ported seem pretty popular. And then, if tinkering with game assets is something you fancy, you can dump games most games with braindump to take a look at their innards. With the right tools, you can create ROM hacks for some games like Pokemon X/Y and OR/AS, or replace the music in Smash 4. There's even some translations for games that are only in Japan right now, like Labyrinth no Kanata. And yet, there's more so much more.

The only thing I have to add here about downgrading is if you choose to downgrade, it's wiser to use julian20's version of sysupdater to downgrade, which can be found in here: https://gbatemp.net/threads/simple-guide-to-downgrading-your-3ds.407888/

safesysupdater is based off of the sysupdater version that was used near the beginning of memchunkhax2 implementation; it either uninstalls all titles first and then installs them, or it installs NATIVE_FIRM last, I don't remember. Either way, I advocate using julian20's version because it updates NATIVE_FIRM and the safe-mode titles first, and then does the rest. safesysupdater is only called 'safe' because it checks that you're using the right files for your system version and that the hashes check out so you don't have any .cias that are corrupted in the slightest. You can check the MD5 checksums and all that yourself, and you can also verify that you have the right update pack, meaning you have .cias for the Old 3DS and NOT the New 3DS (I recommend going to that iso site to search for a thread labeled "[MEGA] [CIA/BIN] MSET 4.X & 6.X backups, Browser backups, Update packs (All Regions)". If you choose to go there for that, you want "9.2.0-20U(Full).zip". I can't stress this enough because, as dumb as it sounds, people have bricked their 3DS using the wrong pack, either the O3DS files for the N3DS, or vice versa. It happens.

Just note that if something goes wrong with downgrading, you may end up with a brick - it's never completely safe. The best thing you can do is educate yourself (which it looks like you've been doing so). Last thing to note is if you softbrick and are able to enter into recovery mode, you'll have to update to 10.5, thus not being able to downgrade anymore.

Reactions: LeSpaz

gldoorii

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
http://gbatemp.net/threads/tutorial-how-to-install-oot3dhax.396339/

4.) Follow the steps to get Ironhax/Ninjhax/Menuhax/Rumblehax/WHATEVERhax working and back up your OoT3D saves.

I can't find any "steps" in the tutorial. My issue right now is when I start O3D to load the hack I don't see any save to load. I followed the steps so far, but can't figure out what I'm doing wrong.

D

Deleted User

http://gbatemp.net/threads/tutorial-how-to-install-oot3dhax.396339/

4.) Follow the steps to get Ironhax/Ninjhax/Menuhax/Rumblehax/WHATEVERhax working and back up your OoT3D saves.

I can't find any "steps" in the tutorial. My issue right now is when I start O3D to load the hack I don't see any save to load. I followed the steps so far, but can't figure out what I'm doing wrong.

oot3dhax does not load on its own. In order to install oot3dhax, you need to use a primary way to load any kind of hax. I would link you to 3DBrew but it's not loading for me at the moment.

Right now, unless you have Cubic Ninja, your best bet is through the browser, as Retroman957 suggested:

With 9.9 you can run browserhax to run the homebrew launcher i would suggest using the tubehax dns to prevent the update message from showing up. info here http://yls8.mtheall.com/3dsbrowserhax.php

Do make sure to do it like that, with the tubehax DNS set up! If you don't you won't be able to use the browser access any hax at all. Then you'll have to buy Cubic Ninja or get a Powersave dongle along with an OoT3D cart.

Reactions: Retroman957
D

Deleted User

Thing is, you don't need YouTube. You just need to make sure that your DNS (primary and secondary) is set to 107.211.140.065. tubehax has long since been dead, but the DNS works for blocking certain Nintendo servers. What you need to know is that once you use your browser on certain firmwares (I don't remember the exact ones), if you don't have the latest firmware, Nintendo's servers installs an 'update nag' that doesn't let you use your browser until you update. You can't get rid of it, and you can't bypass it on the O3DS once you have it. But, with the tubehax DNS set up, theoretically you should be able to use browserhax. I'd search around the forums a bit for browserhax information since I have a N3DS and because I haven't had to overcome this using the DNS, I don't know much more about it.

LordStarkiller

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Not to hijack the thread but I'm also in OP's position with an old 3DS that has 9.9.0-26U and I've been using Ironhax. Can I use this sysupdater to downgrade to 9.2?

LordStarkiller

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
For your purposes (running 3DS games off of the SD card as .cias), downgrading seems to be a good idea. Though I do encourage you to check out what you can do besides that. There are some really cool homebrew apps out there that aren't dependent on your system having kernel access, like Picroxx, Draw Attack!, or if you're into emulation, the Retroarch cores that have been ported seem pretty popular. And then, if tinkering with game assets is something you fancy, you can dump games most games with braindump to take a look at their innards. With the right tools, you can create ROM hacks for some games like Pokemon X/Y and OR/AS, or replace the music in Smash 4. There's even some translations for games that are only in Japan right now, like Labyrinth no Kanata. And yet, there's more so much more.

The only thing I have to add here about downgrading is if you choose to downgrade, it's wiser to use julian20's version of sysupdater to downgrade, which can be found in here: https://gbatemp.net/threads/simple-guide-to-downgrading-your-3ds.407888/

safesysupdater is based off of the sysupdater version that was used near the beginning of memchunkhax2 implementation; it either uninstalls all titles first and then installs them, or it installs NATIVE_FIRM last, I don't remember. Either way, I advocate using julian20's version because it updates NATIVE_FIRM and the safe-mode titles first, and then does the rest. safesysupdater is only called 'safe' because it checks that you're using the right files for your system version and that the hashes check out so you don't have any .cias that are corrupted in the slightest. You can check the MD5 checksums and all that yourself, and you can also verify that you have the right update pack, meaning you have .cias for the Old 3DS and NOT the New 3DS (I recommend going to that iso site to search for a thread labeled "[MEGA] [CIA/BIN] MSET 4.X & 6.X backups, Browser backups, Update packs (All Regions)". If you choose to go there for that, you want "9.2.0-20U(Full).zip". I can't stress this enough because, as dumb as it sounds, people have bricked their 3DS using the wrong pack, either the O3DS files for the N3DS, or vice versa. It happens.

Just note that if something goes wrong with downgrading, you may end up with a brick - it's never completely safe. The best thing you can do is educate yourself (which it looks like you've been doing so). Last thing to note is if you softbrick and are able to enter into recovery mode, you'll have to update to 10.5, thus not being able to downgrade anymore.

I'm following the tut and it says to remove any DNS's you have on your 3DS. I have Ironhax but I used Tubetax to install the payload but the DNS's are still setup under Detailed Setup in Settings but I have since removed them. Can I use sysupdater now?

gldoorii

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thing is, you don't need YouTube. You just need to make sure that your DNS (primary and secondary) is set to 107.211.140.065. tubehax has long since been dead, but the DNS works for blocking certain Nintendo servers. What you need to know is that once you use your browser on certain firmwares (I don't remember the exact ones), if you don't have the latest firmware, Nintendo's servers installs an 'update nag' that doesn't let you use your browser until you update. You can't get rid of it, and you can't bypass it on the O3DS once you have it. But, with the tubehax DNS set up, theoretically you should be able to use browserhax. I'd search around the forums a bit for browserhax information since I have a N3DS and because I haven't had to overcome this using the DNS, I don't know much more about it.

When I try to follow the QR code it opens the browser and tells me "The Internet browser cannot be used at this time. Please check your network etc"

I'm following the tutorials and it doesn't work. I have the O3D cartridge, but can't figure out how to use O3D to do all this.

D

Deleted User

When I try to follow the QR code it opens the browser and tells me "The Internet browser cannot be used at this time. Please check your network etc"

I'm following the tutorials and it doesn't work. I have the O3D cartridge, but can't figure out how to use O3D to do all this.

Read this page: http://www.3dbrew.org/wiki/Homebrew_Exploits. Note the difference between standalone and secondary; in order to install a secondary exploit, you need to use a standalone exploit. So the order of operations is this, simply put: standalone->secondary. Ocarina of Time 3D is a secondary exploit.

I honestly don't understand exactly what services the DNS for tubehax blocks/doesn't, but what you ought to try is loading the page without your WiFi switch on. Ergo, use the QR code scanner while not connected to the internet to get the tab all set up, making sure it's the only tab there. Then, turn the WiFi on and open the internet browser.

It seems like your browser might either be a dummy browser, or another version of the nag to update (see here). Usually it's the first one, so if someone who knows reads this, could you please confirm? Regardless, try it a couple more times and see what happens.

Since you have the cart for Ocarina of Time 3D, you're not completely out of luck if the browser method doesn't work. You'll have to purchase a Datel Powersaves (something like this) and inject an exploited save file into your game.

I'm following the tut and it says to remove any DNS's you have on your 3DS. I have Ironhax but I used Tubetax to install the payload but the DNS's are still setup under Detailed Setup in Settings but I have since removed them. Can I use sysupdater now?

The whole reason it says to remove the tubehax DNS is so you can update from safemode if things go haywire. If you've checked all of your update files that they're the right ones, both with an MD5 checksum and that you have the files for your respective 3DS version (old or new), and the tubehax DNS is gone, then yeah, you're all set. Again, I recommend julien20's version rather than safesysupdater, since you can do what safesysupdater does manually and julien20's version is actually safer.

Last edited by ,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    it wasn't a question, it was fact
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    He said he had 3 different doctors apt this week, so he prob there. Something about gerbal extraction, I don't know.
    +1
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    bored, guess i'll spread more democracy
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    @K3Nv2 one more time you say such bs to @BakerMan and I'll smack you across the whole planet
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Make sure you smack my booty daddy
    +1
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    telling him that my partner is luke...does he look like someone with such big ne
    eds?
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    do you really think I could stand living with someone like luke?
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    I suppose luke has "special needs" but he's not my partner, did you just say that to piss me off again?
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    besides I had bigger worries today
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    but what do you know about that, you won't believe me anyways
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @BigOnYa can answer that
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    BigOnYa already left the chat
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Biginya
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Auto correct got me, I'm on my tablet, i need to turn that shit off
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    With other tabs open you perv
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I'm actually in my shed, bout to cut 2-3 acres of grass, my back yard.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I use to have a guy for that thanks richard
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I use my tablet to stream to a bluetooth speaker when in shed. iHeartRadio, FlyNation
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    While the victims are being buried
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Grave shovel
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Nuh those goto the edge of the property (maybe just on the other side of)
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    On the neighbors side
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yup, by the weird smelly green bushy looking plants.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://www.the-sun.com/news/10907833/self-checkout-complaints-new-target-dollar-general-policies...