Hardware Have a wii u...should I buy a switch?

Gadd

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey gang, I have a wii u, super mario maker, splatoon, windwaker and tp HD, as well as BOTW. I really enjoy it and have been playing it a lot more than my xbox 360. I also have a new 3ds xl golden hyrule edition with OoT, Majora's Mask and A Link Between Worlds

should I buy a switch now, and if not, when SHOULD I buy a switch?

S

Saiyan Lusitano

Unless you can get it at a discount price, don't buy it for now. Wait for when Mario Kart 8: Deluxe / Disgaea 5 are out, by then it'll be worth buying one or when Mario Odyssey's released.

Other stuff you should buy:
• Tempered glass screen protector (a necessity because the Dock leaves scratches and scuffs on the screen)
• Hard-case (if you plan on taking it out or just around the house)

You can get both of those very cheap from eBay.

D

Deleted-379826

Wait for the games, price drop and maybe even upgraded version. There's not much you're missing out on so no rush at all! You already have the best game as of now BOTW and the other games coming are mostly ports. There are very, very few good exclusives coming so I'd say definitely wait it out because once it gets upgraded and gets a lower price it'll be way more worth it.

Reactions: Saiyan Lusitano

jefffisher

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i always calculate cost by days owned
300 dollars day one play it for 5 years thats like ¢16.5 a day, figure the earlier i get it the more play time i get out of it.
the wii u got a $50 price drop after 312 days and lasted 1572 days thats ¢22.25 a day if you bought it day one or ¢23.8 a day if you waited for the price drop.
ofcourse wii u owners really lucked out being able to sell used ones for at least $200 that usually isn't the case and probably wont be for the switch.
a price drop isn't going to happen this year and maybe not even next if you imagine yourself wanting to play the new mario this holiday season get one as soon as you can since absolutely everything is sold out all through the months of novemeber and december.

YourHero

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Since there are literally no consoles left till beginning of April at the earliest, I'd wait and see if a Mario Kart bundle is going to happen. That being said you actually want one. I personally found several games I want, more than 5, 2 of which I already bought.

Wiisel

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I have a wiiu and bought a switch day after release. I was actually looking for a nes mini on the ninty store and not wanting to be stuck in the same predicament with a switch decided to buy one when I see them in stock. I like the switch but to be honest at the moment your not really missing out on much I've actually started playing my wiiu again that's not been touched since I got bayonetta around 2 years ago.
So far it's cost me £420 (system, pro pad, BoTW, gorilla glass) just to play What's essentially a wiiu game. The main advantage of buying early is hackability but if your not interested in hacking....

I just took the gamble because I knew if I didn't like it I could get my money back in an online sale.

MarioFanatic64

The guy who does things
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
If you plan on investing in a Switch, whenever the time feels right for you.

For instance, even though I have a Wii U, I bought a Switch at launch for BotW, because I knew it'd be the more convenient version to have and that I'd be inevitably building up a library of exclusives in the future anyway. On the other hand, I was also willing to pay the rather premium launch price tag.

If you're not willing to splash out just yet- which isn't unreasonable- just wait until some real exclusives start coming out.

EDIT: I also use a formula to determine whether my purchases made have been worthwhile, and that is x=dollars spent < y=hours of use. Since I've clocked in over 70 hours in Zelda so far, I'd say it was a good investment, and since I'm playing it on Switch, Zelda alone has already accounted for a good portion of my money's worth already.

Last edited by MarioFanatic64,

smf

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Hey gang, I have a wii u, super mario maker, splatoon, windwaker and tp HD, as well as BOTW. I really enjoy it and have been playing it a lot more than my xbox 360. I also have a new 3ds xl golden hyrule edition with OoT, Majora's Mask and A Link Between Worlds

should I buy a switch now, and if not, when SHOULD I buy a switch?

If you need the latest console then buy a switch today, if you're happy with what you've got then wait. I'm thinking about getting a wii-u.

CLOUD9RED

Trophies
XP
Country
Swaziland
Bought the Wii U last year and this year I bought the Switch. There's a sort of magic having the Switch console at start. The magic of the unexplored and of creating a new library from scratch.

Reactions: Black ace

xile6

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Really up to you.
But if your asking this question the you should wait for mario or splatoon to come out.

Most people like me got the system cause its mew amd wanted to have ot at launch and play zelda on the new system.
But if your on the fence then wait till a good game comes out for you.

biggan1

Trophies
XP
Country
Personally I bought my first wiiU a couple days ago (got a zelda edition in pristine condition for a really good price)

Im thinking the switch was just releaased and every time a console i launched it tends to have quite a few kinks that needs to be fixed This is mostly due to market demand.(Less time and more bugs to find nowadays)
Then we have the issue with the GAMES.

I think everyone remembers the wii U launch? Its exactly like switch, where are the GAMES!?
At that point noone knew if it was gonna be a hit or miss.

It feels like switch is at the same point as wii u was. But in a worse position right now. Id advice you to wait and see when the game are released and all the bugs(There are some quite nasty and distubring atm ive heard)
Maybe it´ll fail, but its in very high demand right now, so sit tight and let those whom cant handle their impulses buy the machines which might be inferior to those produced in the future.

I hope its just bugs and kinks and not due to the switchs poor power. Tbh they really should have put a better chip then the stock TEGRA as chip, but time will tell. Maybe we´ll a better "new switch xll" or something silly like they did with the 3ds.

Which I also just bought, glad i got the new 3ds xl.
Lesson learned; Always wait ahile and see how everything pans out,7 especially with Nintendo.
Dont forget that the original wii had a small game library at launch aswell 8except for a new zelda like switch)

just a thought but I think everyone goes nuts over zelda tbh lol.

I hope this reflection can bring some light upon your choice.

Anyways switch or wii u, have a good time. Personally I will play the wii u for the first time TODAY! It will be a blast playing through the whole wii u lbrary!

Getting stuff on day one is a bad choice in many ways usally.

Nemix77

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I'd say wait until there's a must buy game or a price/package drop, I owned a Wii and skipped the Wii U/3DS so I've never played on any Nintendo HD consoles/handhelds which made it an easy buy for me.

contingences

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Personally I bought my first wiiU a couple days ago (got a zelda edition in pristine condition for a really good price)
Then we have the issue with the GAMES.

It was the same back in 1992 when the snes was released in Europe. I sold my NES and all my games to an happy guy only to buy one console with one game (and potentially 4 other but I wasn't interested by the other games). It's the same with each release I think.

For the OP ; if you already own BOTW ; you own enough game-time to wait for the switch ; if you decide to switch :)

Mr. Wizard

Ending the spread of bullshit one thread at a time
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I seen at least 3 people trading in their Wii U + tons of games on Switch launch day and picking up a Switch. Personally I keep all my old consoles and games.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Maybe grab one in April when some more games come out and they fix some of the manufacturing issues.

InsaneNutter

Trophies
Website
digiex.net
XP
Country
I'd personally wait until well in to 2018, maybe Christmas 2018? depending what's out by then.

For me anything i like on the Switch that's going to be released this year appears to be on the Wii U anyway.

Maybe if you want Super Mario Odyssey, get it when that's out? Nintendo always release better revisions of their handheld consoles, so i'm more than happy to wait for now.

Mr. Wizard

Ending the spread of bullshit one thread at a time
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I'd personally wait until well in to 2018, maybe Christmas 2018? depending what's out by then.

For me anything i like on the Switch that's going to be released this year appears to be on the Wii U anyway.

Maybe if you want Super Mario Odyssey, get it when that's out? Nintendo always release better revisions of their handheld consoles, so i'm more than happy to wait for now.

I guess having a portable isn't that important to you, I can respect that. Personally I bought it for it's portability to replace my 3DS.

Oh and Xenoblade 2 and Dragon Quest X...

tech3475

Trophies
XP
Country
Unless you either
1) See one cheap
2) Really must have exclusive(s) come out
3) Games are out where the hybrid aspect is useful
4) You find its buy now or you dont think you will ever (for whatever reasons)

Otherwise, Id suggest waiting.

Id also suggest setting up an alert on some deal site/app, for example, I saw on hotukdeals a way to get the pro controller for £35 (normally £65).

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: good night