Hardware Has my micro-SD died out of the blue?

Groumpfouh

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Hey there,

I was installing some new games on my N3DS... When FBI displayed error messages and the 3DS crashed. I turned it on, it crashed on Luma, black screen. The SysNand is still working.

I tried to use it on my computer, and some folders (like the boot9strap folder) is full of gibberish files weighing up to 10gb and all. I can't format the SD, but I was able (I think) to save my games and files.

But yeah. Can't format it. At. All. I've tried everything I can think of. Erasing the partition and all. I have no idea what is going on.

Has my mini-SD died on me just like that, or is there any weird solution I haven't thought of please? It's weird I can still put stuff on it or copy stuff from it, but I can't format it or delete the weird glitchy files full of random signs...

Timburpton

Trophies
XP
Country
You mean microSD.

Ok. Two scenarios, one more likely than the other. Either corrupted SD card which is unfixable afaik OR more likely you bought a fake sd card.

I was installing some new games on my N3DS... When FBI displayed error messages and the 3DS crashed. I turned it on, it crashed on Luma, black screen. The SysNand is still working.

Which supports the fake sd card. Fake sd cards work like this, e.g. a 2gb card pretending to be a 64gb card. So it actually has only 2gb worth of space so what happens if you try to put 3gb onto it? The original 2gb is overwritten by the remaining 1gb and hence everything is corrupted.

Groumpfouh

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
I've been using the card for two years, a 64GB Samsung, bought on Amazon (and not from a retailer). It was a fast one, I've never had any problem with it.

Actually there are other symptoms that I didn't notice. I thought I could create folders or copy stuff on it. Actually I can't. The file or folder does appear when I copy or create them but they're gone if I close the window and come back.
And if I delete anything (for example the DCIM folder, a safe one), when I close the window and come back... It's back. Even if I take the SD out or empty the bin. I can't delete a thing even if my computer tells me the operation was successful

Yes I have tried SD Formatter and many other variations, and none worked. Some of them say my files are locked and need admin rights, but even if I activate them, still doesn't work. The card cannot be found, nothing to erase, or even I've formatted it Yeah but nothing was actually erased...

MiiJack

Trophies
XP
Country
Madagascar
You should extract your exdata folder (using gm9) for the saves (or your JKSM folder, if you used it before), that should be your only concern for now.

Groumpfouh

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
My emuNand doesn't work, Luma won't boot, but I already was able to copy paste the inside of the SD. It was the first thing I did actually... Or is there another thing I have to do to port over my data to a new SD?

MiiJack

Trophies
XP
Country
Madagascar
Let's see, you copied eveything from your µsd to your new µsd right? You still need to get your EmuNand, so get godmode9 (put it in luma/payloads), access it via the chainloader menu (press start at boot), unmount the new µsd and put in your old one then follow the guide, and you should be fine.
Sorry if it sound too complicated, I don't know how to explain well.

Groumpfouh

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
I see... I've just ordered a new SD, I'll try when I get it.

My goal is basically to prepare my new SD and install godmode and luma on it, and then it'll allow me to copy my emunand from my old read-only to my new SD using the chainloader... Is that it? Everything is done on the 3DS?

Thanks!

MiiJack

Trophies
XP
Country
Madagascar
You're actually copying your EmuNand to the SysNand, I'm pretty sure you can't put something on the old µsd so you copy it directly to the Nand (make a backup of the SysNand just in case something didn't work properly). It also free up some space to the new µsd by not making an EmuNand, but you can create one if you want to though after all that.

Groumpfouh

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Oh I see! So my Emunand will be all that remains, no Sysnand.

I actually did the whole hacking thing on my daughter's O3DS a couple of week ago and it's true it directly boots to Emunand,she doesn't have any Sysnand.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Oh I see! So my Emunand will be all that remains, no Sysnand.

I actually did the whole hacking thing on my daughter's O3DS a couple of week ago and it's true it directly boots to Emunand,she doesn't have any Sysnand.
I think you're confused, emuNAND is just a copy of sysNAND, it's highly unlikely she doesn't have a sysNAND, plus it's unlikely she's even using emuNAND as no up to date guides will tell you to install it.

Groumpfouh

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Yeah, I must be. I guess my point was that the steps were different from when I hacked my own N3DS a year and a half ago. At any rate thank you all! I'll see how it goes once I get my new sd :)

Groumpfouh

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
So that you people know and have the ending: my old SD is plain dead and I've just been unable to extract my emuNand... Meaning I've lost save files and stuff. I've had to hack my N3DS from the ground up.

Well. Yeah. Life sucks sometimes I guess. If my Switch was to crash or something, I'd lose everything too, so I guess... Well... That's how it is.

This sucks.

Last edited by Groumpfouh,

Groumpfouh

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Aaaaaactually there is another end to the story. After starting from scratch, I was able to have Godmode9 copy my original emuNAND and all. It runs perfectly... I think. I have my miis, some downloads from the eShop...

... But I don't have any of the CIA games I downloaded and installed. I copied the Nintendo 3DS folder to the new SD and nothing appears except for the few eShop stuff I have. No games. Nothing. But yeah, nothing worked on my computer, and it didn't want to work on my N3DS either... Until it did.

Any idea please?

MiiJack

Trophies
XP
Country
Madagascar
The Nintendo 3DS folder is likely to be corrupted so that's why. Re-install every .cia games, and copy just the exdata.

HtheB

Trophies
Website
www.HtheB.com
XP
Country
Netherlands
You meant microSD... not mini SD

Top to bottom,
SD
Mini SD
Micro SD