Hardware Has anyone had any luck getting Nintendo to replace thier 3DS?

xakota

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My launch day 3DS, now that I'm actually playing it, is suffering the bottom screen scratching the top screen issue. Will Nintendo replace it?

xxteargodxx

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My launch day 3DS, now that I'm actually playing it, is suffering the bottom screen scratching the top screen issue. Will Nintendo replace it?
From what I read on various forums there are mixed responses of people saying Nintendo has fixed their issue for free and some people stating that they have to pay to have it fixed. If I were you I would call Nintendo and let them know that your Nintendo 3DS is scratched due to a manufacturers defect and see what they can do.

bloodliketheatla

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have the same problem, and it is really pissing me off. Why the hell would they leave such a major design flaw in their final product?

I had read the reports of the top-screen scratch problem. I didn't think it would happen to me because I rarely carry it around, especially in my pocket. But I just noticed while playing Pushmo tonight that there were obvious scratches on both the left and right sides of the screen. I tried cleaning it and it became more apparent they were scratches. In fact there are tiny (hardly noticeable) scratches ALL OVER the top screen outside of the actual screen. how did these get there? On the left side these scratches appear in the actual viewing area. On the right side there is a line of "bumps" that were obviously caused by the right side of the piece that sticks out above the bottom screen. They are little bumps that almost look like dead pixels (but they aren't.)

This is so damn frustrating. You spend $170 on a piece of hardware that can barely be used normally without scratching. Not to mention the plastic they used on the case scratches very easily. I have dropped it lightly a couple times and there are nicks (sp?) all over the outside of the case.

I have an Android phone by HTC that is apparently made with gorilla glass. I have dropped it thirty times and not even a mark on the case or the screen. Why wouldn't the producers of a gaming device reach the same standard especially when the device is specifically for GAMING which demands a clear screen. This isn't for text message and I don't plan on getting an upgrade when my "contract" finishes in the next year...

If anyone know what Nintendo will do or has done about this problem, I would also like to know. Unfortunately, even if they straight-up replaced it and copied all of my downloads over to a new unit (best case scenario) the same damn thing is gonna happen with the new unit. It's just a matter of time. Oh and did I mention the faulty hinge that doesn't snap tight and can wobble back and forth when I flick my wrists a little? I was also told THAT was normal...

DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
You spend $170 on a piece of hardware that can barely be used normally without scratching.

Some of us have spend more then 170$ on the system.

A good way to prevent scratches is to apply a screen protector.
It costs around 5 bucks and is easy to apply

Reactions: 2 people

totalnoob617

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
well mine has has a defect on the screen since i got it but i got it right before the ambassador ran out ,so i couldnt just return it to the store for another 1 ,since id loose ambassador i called them and asked if i could just return it to the store for another 1 and copy the recipt to prove i bought before ambassador ran out but they told they wouldnt help to do that and then transfer the status to the new unit and id have to send it in for repair , and they would expedite the shipping ,but i havent donr it so far, but now i hear you can use the new fw to transfer the eshop games and ambassador status to another unit? not sure if its true or how you would do it
but i also realized hey why do that when i can go buy a brand new at the store and transfer my ambassador status to the new unit and put the old unit back in the box and return it with the new recipt and get my money back , there is the matter of the sn , but the screw on back cover that hold the battery in is what the sn sticker is on ,so you just have remove 4 screws and switch the back plates and boom done

chris888222

GBAtemp's Flygon Fan
Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal
I baby all my consoles, including the 3DS.

But my 3DS is slowly showing signs of discoloration/washed out color on the lower screen and I have no idea why.

Maybe next year before my warranty ends I'll send it to Nintendo US. :P

Reactions: 1 person

Hells Malice

Are you a bully?
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I'm thinking this defect wasn't on all 3DS'. Mine is a launch 3DS, and i've had no problems with it. Ditto for my friend. I open and close my 3DS a LOT, since I play it a lot when helping my dad with his job (which, in a nutshell, is him driving us from location to location, with me constantly getting out, so I open and close my 3DS at least 75 times a night).

But anyway, you can do a whole hell of a lot if you're good at social engineering. The people who got it replaced for free were either lucky and got a nice employee, or knew how to talk to get their way. People who had to pay either got an incredibly stubborn employee, or were submissive. If they are adamant on having you pay, hang up and try again later.

Sicklyboy

#JOYCONBOYZFOREVER
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
there is the matter of the sn , but the screw on back cover that hold the battery in is what the sn sticker is on ,so you just have remove 4 screws and switch the back plates and boom done

There is another copy of the s/n affixed directly to the 3DS behind the battery. However, most retail employees don't know that, and those who work in customer service don't have a jewelers screwdriver to remove the battery cover, nor do they really care.

bloodliketheatla

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you guys were to be more delicate with your 3ds, this would't have happened.
Mine is as good as new, since I treat it very well.

I'm glad you are a wise, all-knowing being who knows how I "treat" my 3DS and why it is damaged. Or are you basing your obnoxious conclusion on faulty logic? i.e. YOUR 3DS is still in good condition and YOU think you took care of it, so anyone who has a 3DS that isn't in good condition MUST not have taken care of it? I think that is represented as "If A then B; not A therefore not B" NICE!

Reactions: 1 person

geesee

Trophies
Website
don't have one
XP
Country
Netherlands
me and my gf have the red metallic 3ds en guess what.... she doesnt have the problem, i have .... de g*damn scratches.... not even launch day... ( 1month ago)

BTW 100th POST.. gettin close to the 1000 yo :ph34r:

xakota

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
In case anyone's wondering, I just got off the phone with them and they're going to fix it for free.

princecharmander

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I was wondering if people ate getting back their original 3DS or a new one? An if its a new one is it the color they had originally? I had to wait patiently to get the the Flame Red one so I better get a red one back! Also, stupid Nintendo. :P

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    LeoTCK @ LeoTCK: yes for nearly a month i was officially a wanted fugitive, until yesterday when it ended