Misc Has anyone attempted to abuse the Nintendo Zone streetpass relay?

JRave

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What SSID did you guys use for your test setup? _The Cloud? I would assume the SSID and MAC are the most basic things we would need to be the same, since it is possible for a US and JP 3DS to streetpass normally.

duke_srg

Trophies
XP
Country
Serbia, Republic of
Just connected using your suggested MAC. Let me know if you now get a streepass using it when you reconnect.

That was just a proposal, I'm not changed MAC yet, just experimenting on my Android device. The one used to exchange StreetPass wuth Somebunny was different. The SSID is "_The Cloud".

dicamarques

Definitely not Bruce Wayne.
Trophies
Website
www.google.com
XP
Country
Portugal
The ssid is just so that the 3DS connects to the access point:
So heres a list of SSID's:
_The Cloud
FON_ZON_FREE_INTERNET
attwifi
And much more (see 3dbrew for more but these should do the trick)

What I would like to know... is how does the data get transmitted from one router to the next, knowing it's a Nintendo Zone spoofed relay? That's the only part I can't figure out. How do the routers know to talk to each other over the internet? There must be some sort of configured inter-connectivity occurring.

Thats just simple internet nothing to fancy.

duke_srg

Trophies
XP
Country
Serbia, Republic of
how does the data get transmitted from one router to the next, knowing it's a Nintendo Zone spoofed relay?

The data is stored at nintendo servers. As soon 3DS detects a Ninendo Zone it requests the StreetPass data stored for that AP MAC address (and SSID?) and sends its own StreetPass data back to server.

Amigos2222

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
What SSID did you guys use for your test setup? _The Cloud? I would assume the SSID and MAC are the most basic things we would need to be the same, since it is possible for a US and JP 3DS to streetpass normally.

When i connected earlier using the previously given mac address my ssid was _The Cloud. Can this cause any problems ISP wise if multiple users have set their routers to the same mac address?

duke_srg

Trophies
XP
Country
Serbia, Republic of
When i connected earlier using the previously given mac address my ssid was _The Cloud. Can this cause any problems ISP wise if multiple users have set their routers to the same mac address?

Nope, you connected to the ISP with the wired interface of the AP/router with the different MAC.

Tane

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The data is stored at nintendo servers. As soon 3DS detects a Ninendo Zone it requests the StreetPass data stored for that AP MAC address (and SSID?) and sends its own StreetPass data back to server.

Ah I understand. It's the 3DS doing the data transfer to Nintendo servers - based upon the MAC address of the Nintendo Zone AP. I'm daft. I was thinking a few layers lower (OSI layer 3, Network Layer) - when it's happening at layer 7, Application/Software (i.e. The 3DS). The 3DS recognizes the access point as a "Nintendo Zone" location, and then passes the data to Nintendo. Sorry now I'm grasping the packet transfer. So now we need to decide upon a spoofed MAC address (which I think Duke proposed?)

Since the data is going through Nintendo, I would imagine Nintendo might catch on to the spoofed MAC if they see a large amount of StreetPasses occurring rapidly on that MAC (not sure if they monitor for that). And hopefully not ban any 3DS's out of this ordeal (not sure if they can do that).

That was just a proposal, I'm not changed MAC yet, just experimenting on my Android device. The one used to exchange StreetPass wuth Somebunny was different. The SSID is "_The Cloud".

Did you use a rooted Android phone w/ a spoofed MAC when you StreetPassed w/ Somebunny?

duke_srg

Trophies
XP
Country
Serbia, Republic of
Did you use a rooted Android phone w/ a spoofed MAC when you StreetPassed w/ Somebunny?
No I just sent Somebunny my main Android phone MAC, and he spoofed this MAC on a Linux machine, as I understood. Now I'm trying with my old one Android phone to make an AP with changed MAC.

Tane

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No I just sent Somebunny my main Android phone MAC, and he spoofed this MAC on a Linux machine, as I understood. Now I'm trying with my old one Android phone to make an AP with changed MAC.

Perfect - this is exactly what I want to try myself. I'm going to take an old android phone I have, root it, and load WiFi Tether and spoof the MAC on the device.

Are you using your proposed MAC from a few posts ago?

signz

Timelord
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
My initial theory was almost right, spoofing a MAC address seems to *almost* do the trick - but you also need to spoof a correct WiFi country code. (If you have never heard of this, well, I haven't heard about this either, until half an hour ago.)
Just got SMAC to try it and I think I know what you mean by the country code. Under "New Spoofed MAC Address" it shows 5 2-digits and in the last field DE (which I guess is the country code). Since it's in "Evaluation Mode" I can't seem to change the MAC to the one I'd want (it tells me "SMAC 2.0 will only allow you to change the MAC Address to "0C-0C-0C-0C-0C-01" in Evaluation mode. Do you still want to change the MAC Address?" which now confuses me a bit, since there seems to be no country code (unless there is one and I just don't see it).
Anyway, does anybody here know of a better (and actually working in free version) software to change the MAC under WinXP? I got an Access Point running already (using ZDWlan which came with my ZyDas stick), which also works for Nintendo Zone.

€dit: Alright, found Macshift, which is easier to use (and actually works as far as I can see). Changed the MAC of my WLAN stick to 40:53:50:4F:4F:46, got no Streetpass hits (yet) tho, probably because either nobody else tried that or, which I a- HOLY SHIT, I just got a Streetpass hit! That actually works! :O Hit from "Jimbo from the US-Missouri" with a Donkey Kong hat.

Tane

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
€dit: Alright, found Macshift, which is easier to use (and actually works as far as I can see). Changed the MAC of my WLAN stick to 40:53:50:4F:4F:46, got no Streetpass hits (yet) tho, probably because either nobody else tried that or, which I a- HOLY SHIT, I just got a Streetpass hit! That actually works! :O Hit from "Jimbo from the US-Missouri" with a Donkey Kong hat.

YES! More successes!
I can't wait to get home and try this :-X
You got me pumped SignZ

Amigos2222

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Just got SMAC to try it and I think I know what you mean by the country code. Under "New Spoofed MAC Address" it shows 5 2-digits and in the last field DE (which I guess is the country code). Since it's in "Evaluation Mode" I can't seem to change the MAC to the one I'd want (it tells me "SMAC 2.0 will only allow you to change the MAC Address to "0C-0C-0C-0C-0C-01" in Evaluation mode. Do you still want to change the MAC Address?" which now confuses me a bit, since there seems to be no country code (unless there is one and I just don't see it).
Anyway, does anybody here know of a better (and actually working in free version) software to change the MAC under WinXP? I got an Access Point running already (using ZDWlan which came with my ZyDas stick), which also works for Nintendo Zone.

Excellent. However, that is not me. I've just connected again but no green light? Can you think or anything you may have done differently? I assume you used _The Cloud as ssid?

signz

Timelord
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
YES! More successes!
I can't wait to get home and try this :-X
You got me pumped SignZ
Believe me, I'm pumped and excited as well! Never thought that actually works!

Excellent. However, that is not me. I've just connected again but no green light? Can you think or anything you may have done differently? I assume you used _The Cloud as ssid?
Oh yeah, _The Cloud (since I'm in Europe). On 3dbrew.org there's a list of Nintendo Zone hotspot SSIDs, pick one for your country and try again. :D http://3dbrew.org/wiki/Nintendo_Zone

Tane

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Believe me, I'm pumped and excited as well! Never thought that actually works!

Jimbo was a guy from Reddit who's been watching the thread, but didn't sign up. He tried it, sat on the AP for 45 mins - and SignZ was the one to pull it down. I think Jimbo seeded the MAC address :)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @Psionic Roshambo, Thats pretty cool.