Hacking Has anybody played through Tales of Destiny (PS1) on PSP?

Storm101

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I hear this game can eventually get freezing issues that make the game unplayable, but I want to make sure this is true and if there's a way around it. I'm using 6.60 PRO.

Ryupower

Brood
Trophies
Website
techmantis.net
XP
Country
United States
it working fine for me

i made mine OWN back-up (form a REAL copy of the game)
and then
made mine OWN eboot from that image

if you haver a bugs, try a differet pops version using the Popsloader plugin

Storm101

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I came across someone saying he had freezing problems after 18 hours while searching on google. I'm not sure if I can link the thread since it's part of a ROM site, so I'll just c/p what he said here. It's from this month:

If you think about playing Tales of Destiny, don´t play it on the psp:
After about 18 hours of playing time the game freezes in battle
you can´t save everywhere so it´s a waste of time
Just want to let you know, use a emulator on pc instead
don´t know about if it freezes in emulators on consoles
The psx2psp version is not here and now i know why....

It´s an Eboot(NTSC-U) playing on 6.20 TN-D and TN Homebrew Enabler
Don´t know really ´bout the vhsmenu,is there a good setting ?
356mb is the file so isn´t cropped, i guess.
thanx for the link, will check it out.
This is my 4th time playing,think it really got style and found a old memorycardfile on a lost cd
for me lt´s like Majora´s Mask,must,finish,game,
another thing is it commen that psx2psp freeze? thought about playing Legend of Mana
and see it´s on this site;Tales of Destiny isn´t,cause there is a problem with that eboot?
for instand, the Final Fantasy serie,if come around to it°~°,would be a bummer..
sorry for the long post here is a potato
Message_Block.gif

This version also freezes in battle,guess that´s why it isn´t here
i´ll play this on pc
icon_cry.gif

FailName

░▒▓█▓▒░
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well if the freezing only occurs that one battle found 18 hours in, you can always use cwcheat to save your memory card for use with a PC emulator, get past the freezing point on an emulator, and load it back on a psp.

goemon_guy

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I was playing through it awhile back, and decided to convert my PS1 save from my MC to the PSP to play it on-the-go.

I found that after advancing, the battles would freeze frequently. (I read that this could possibly be resolved by using a different version of POPS loader, but I never got into it.) I just ended up putting my save back onto my MC and finishing it on the PS1.

If I were you, I'd look into POPS loader to use the compatible version.
If not, then you could just save the game as frequently as possible and hope for the best. (I'm not entirely sure if they are apparent due to an event in the game or whatever.) Additionally, it appears that the freezes only occur when characters cast spells. (Anyone who can use Swordians, making the majority of your party...) So you could probably just turn off spells all together. (Not recommended, and this may not remedy the issue.)

According to a compatibility guide, it says that the game runs fine on POPS versions 5.00m33-3 & 5.00m33-6.

xtreme1

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I made it through the whole game without freezing but it was so long ago I dont remember the settings, if you google it Im sure you can find the correct popsloader it works on

lil_aerith

Trophies
XP
Country
I know this is an old thread, but I made an account just to reply here for posterity. =)

I JUST finished playing Tales of Destiny on my PSP and yes, you do get a lot of freezing by the time you get to Junkland (for the cave quest). By that time I was freezing almost every 10th-20th battle or so, which makes the game VERY difficult to continue. HOWEVER- just turn off the the spells that take up the most fps and you'll do fine! Keep in mind that these spells do not automatically trigger a game freeze, but have the possibility to freeze your game. So while you can cast these spells, there is always a percentile chance that you might freeze your game. So as the game progresses and you get more and more of these spells, the likelihood of your game freezing increases!!

I turned off the following;

Atwight
Maelstorm
Tidal Wave

Chaltier
None (you could turn off Demon’s Lance, but I never had a problem with it)

Clemente
Cyclone
Explode
Black Hole
Tidal Wave

Dymlos
None (I never really used his spells, but 'Explode' would be the one to avoid)

Igtenos
Cyclone
Divine Wind

As soon as I turned these off, I was able to play the rest of the game. It didn't freeze a single time after I turned these off. Also, you have to be really careful when you equip discs because that character may get a freeze triggering spell with the disc without you realizing it immediately, so watch out!! Other than that- Enjoy! ^^

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • A @ anotherthing:
    Online was free on the 3DS as well, and it worked well.
    +1
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    I can't help but think nintendo switch online is the reason we did not get a gameboy/n64/gamecube
    mini classic edition
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @salazarcosplay, i think it would have been impossible to see anything in a gameboy mini
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    well I meant that as a figure of speech
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    they could just rerelease a modern gameboy
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    like the pocket analogue
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    but nintendo licensed
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    dammit that thread got moved from offtopic to edge, well since that happened
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @LeoTCK, atleast it's still avaliable
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    yes but it wasn't meant to be a comedy thread
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    and edge of the forum is mostly comedy and games
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    so I don't get why it got moved at all
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @LeoTCK, mods are probably hating you
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    on most sites mods hated me, sooner or later, but usually over time I get either banned or the mods get used to me
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    sometimes to the point of thanking me for my quick actions etc against spam and other stuff, but yea...its either they come to respect me or outright hate me
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    If it's not game related, it will be moved to the Egde of the forum. Mods have moved a few of my threads also.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa, it was in the off topic chat forum
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Well atleast they didn't delete it completely.
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    hmm
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    uoiea
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    huh?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Aeiou backwards
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: Aeiou backwards