Nesph

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Hello.

I think I succesfully managed to hardmod my New 3DS and now I want to dump my nand, but my computer can't seem to recognize any external device as connected. I'm on a Mac and I've tried using both OSX and Windows, and Windows seemed to recognize a disk on F: for a while, but I couldn't use the "Read" option on Win32DiskImager - and then it stopped recognizing anything at all. On OSX I get no recognition whatsoever.
I checked the soldering on my SD but everything looks fine, if not exactly a work of art...

I do get to the bootrom error without any problem once I connect my 3DS to my sd reader, so what could the problem be?

I don't know if it could help or not, but I've attached a photo of my situation. Also, the sd reader I'm using worked for at least one other person, as I've seen one like mine in an online guide...

Attachments

• hardmod.jpg
    hardmod.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 272

Nesph

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
How long have you waited since turning on before inserting the USB adapter. I've found that waiting more than a second or two causes a similar issue.

Now that I've paid attention to it, it's less than a second anyway, so I don't think that's the issue...
I'm starting with my 3DS turned off, cable connected but sd not inserted in the reader; I turn on the console (bootrom error) and immediately push the sd in the reader. Am I doing it wrong?

evandixon

PMD Researcher
Developer
Trophies
Website
projectpokemon.org
XP
Country
United States
Now that I've paid attention to it, it's less than a second anyway, so I don't think that's the issue...
I'm starting with my 3DS turned off, cable connected but sd not inserted in the reader; I turn on the console (bootrom error) and immediately push the sd in the reader. Am I doing it wrong?
IIRC the SD should be in the reader, but the reader should not be inserted in a computer until you see the blue screen.

Nesph

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
IIRC the SD should be in the reader, but the reader should not be inserted in a computer until you see the blue screen.

I tried it this way just now, but it's still not working... Could be the reader at this point, but I'm not sure, seeing as it was (kinda) working before...

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
there is 2 different n3ds band chips, it could be that the person using that reader had the other type, or with it being a random Chinese thing the case could be used on 101 different sd readers with 101 different chipsets etc and you wouldn't be able to tell because globtops

as for it "kinda" working, often they will "detect" a disk just because something was plugged in and it can take a minute for the card reader to give up trying to read the card, giving the illusion of it detecting the nand chip, unless something was read/wrote to it, that probably wasn't the case

Last edited by gamesquest1,

Deleted member 333767

Trophies
XP
I think with win32diskimager, for the program to read the NAND, you need to browse for a directory and enter a filename first, then the 'Read' button becomes avaliable.

If that's not the problem, then i think your card reader is incompatible. I found two different card readers (one was my fathers and the other a neighbours) and i got all kinds of strange errors. It appeared to work up until about 20% then the application would freeze, other times i got "the card is write protected", other times i got "windows can not find the device" blah blah blah. The N3DS eMMC appears to be very finicky.

It solved all my problems when i purchased a compatible card reader from the list in the OP of this thread:

https://gbatemp.net/threads/tutorial-noob-friendly-nand-dumping-2ds-3ds-3ds-xl-n3ds-n3ds-xl.414498/

Good luck!

Nesph

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
there is 2 different n3ds band chips, it could be that the person using that reader had the other type, or with it being a random Chinese thing the case could be used on 101 different sd readers with 101 different chipsets etc and you wouldn't be able to tell because globtops

as for it "kinda" working, often they will "detect" a disk just because something was plugged in and it can take a minute for the card reader to give up trying to read the card, giving the illusion of it detecting the nand chip, unless something was read/wrote to it, that probably wasn't the case

Yeah, I didn't think about that... I was too focused on something being recognized to wonder about anything else ^^; Thanks for the additional info!

I think with win32diskimager, for the program to read the NAND, you need to browse for a directory and enter a filename first, then the 'Read' button becomes avaliable.

If that's not the problem, then i think your card reader is incompatible. I found two different card readers (one was my fathers and the other a neighbours) and i got all kinds of strange errors. It appeared to work up until about 20% then the application would freeze, other times i got "the card is write protected", other times i got "windows can not find the device" blah blah blah. The N3DS eMMC appears to be very finicky.

It solved all my problems when i purchased a compatible card reader from the list in the OP of this thread:

https://gbatemp.net/threads/tutorial-noob-friendly-nand-dumping-2ds-3ds-3ds-xl-n3ds-n3ds-xl.414498/

Good luck!

Yes, I had written the filename first, but still no "Read" option. So I guess this is just the confirmation I needed; I'll buy a new reader, looking among those who have already been tested by other users. Hopefully that'll solve the problem.

Thank you, all! I'll write again once I've tested my new purchase.

Reactions: gamesquest1

Nesph

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
So, update: I bought a card reader from those in the list (Anker USB 3.0) and it still doesn't recognize anything as plugged in. The card reader works fine, Windows installs it without any problems, the blue screen on the n3DS is there, but nothing shows up...

What am I doing wrong? :(

EDIT: Back at it again with a "removable device" showing up only by browsing through Win32DiskImager, but still not selectable for the "Read" option...

EDIT 2: I'm just now noticing that my error code should be "00F800FE 00000000 00000000 00000200 00000000", right?
Mine, however, has 00000400 instead of 00000200; other times it has 00000008, for example...

Last edited by Nesph,

Dennis G

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands

this is how it should work, if it does not, and you have a anker, something is wrong, cable/otherwise

Nesph

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy

this is how it should work, if it does not, and you have a anker, something is wrong, cable/otherwise

I get no message asking to format anything, and neither do I get any device letter under "Device" in Win32DiskImager. So I'd say something is wrong, but I don't know what to look for... I mean, I think I soldered everything the right way. I'll try shortening the fake-sd wires, maybe...

Dennis G

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I get no message asking to format anything, and neither do I get any device letter under "Device" in Win32DiskImager. So I'd say something is wrong, but I don't know what to look for... I mean, I think I soldered everything the right way. I'll try shortening the fake-sd wires, maybe...
Use a multimeter and check if all the wires go though correctly

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtube.com/shorts/WOppJ92RgGU?si=KE79L6A_3jESsGQM