Happy 20th birthday, to the Nintendo 64!

2801862368_df8fdfdafc_o.jpg

It's March 1, 2017 today, and that means it's been a full twenty years since the Nintendo 64 launched (in Europe and Australia, at least) on March 1, 1997. America, as it tends to, got their hands on the console five months prior, in September 1996, so perhaps a celebration is a bit overdue at this point, but I digress. Originally retailing for £250 in the UK, which, going off of a few inflation calculators, £250 translates to around £410 in today's money. That's around £100 more than what the Switch will cost when it launches! In terms of games, the N64 launched with a whopping five titles, such as Pilotwings 64, FIFA Soccer 64, Star Wars: Shadow of the Empire, Wayne Gretzky's Hockey, and finally, the ever-lovable flagship title, Super Mario 64.

It was a console created to compete with in the fifth generation of gaming, although it was a bit late to the party, coming out two years after the PlayStation and Saturn. The N64 was Nintendo's first foray into the fledgling market of 64-bit games, moving from pixels and sprites to polygons and large, open worlds. Super Mario 64 would revolutionize the platforming genre, and become such a classic, that it still impacts platforming games to this day. The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time would release nearly two years later, on December 11, 1998, and would further innovate gaming, as it brought the Zelda series to 3D for the first time, as well. Third-party company Rare would continue their partnership with Nintendo, and go on to create well-remembered games such as GoldenEye 007, Killer Instinct, Diddy Kong Racing, and what is probably their most beloved N64 release, Banjo-Kazooie.

Nintendo would also release a litany of other standout titles, like Pokemon Stadium, which would showcase player's favorite Pokemon in more than just black-and-white pixels. There was F-Zero X, which would become one of the N64's only 60fps titles, reportedly becoming the first 3D racing game to run at such a smooth speed. Mario Sports titles would also find their beginnings here, with Golf and Tennis making their debuts. Paper Mario continued Super Mario RPG's turn-based legacy, offering a sprawling adventure across the Mushroom Kingdom. Super Smash Bros. would become an expected success, creating a party brawler who's sequel is still rabidly played to this day. Everyone's favorite love-to-hate, rage-quit ridden, joystick breaking game, Mario Party also had it's roots on the N64. Multiplatform games like Tony Hawk's Pro Skater, Rayman 2, Resident Evil 2, and more, also found success on Nintendo's at-the-time current home console. Nintendo franchises like Yoshi, Kirby, Donkey Kong, Star Fox all thrived as well, with their releases on the N64 being some of the best in Nintendo history. It wasn't all success, though. Mother 3, Fire Emblem 64, and other third party projects would find themselves cancelled, or moved to other platforms, as companies parted ways with Nintendo, such as Square Enix and Final Fantasy.

Fireemblem6beta01.jpg manor.jpg oriental-blue-nintendo-64dd-cancelled.jpg

When all was said and done, the Nintendo 64 sold just a tick under 33 million units. Many loved the console, and many found the lack of certain titles enough to jump ship and join the Sony side of things. So, what's your opinion on the N64? Any cherished memories of the console that you fondly remember? Or do you view the N64 a bit more cynically? Share your thoughts and opinions below!

Last edited by Chary,

Youkai

Demon
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
before buying I thought Nintendo was stupid creating this weird controller but actually the N64 became my Favorite !
When the GameCube was released I got it and was completely into it as well ... after those two great consoles Nintendo never failed to not fail XD (except for the handheld)

Reactions: Chary

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
HOLYFUCK
O.O
For reference, the SNES was launched in the US on August 23, 1991. I was born August 9, 1991.
I have officially been alive longer than the SNES has been in the US...btw I still own my very first SNES that I got when when I was 4.

BlueFox gui

SOMEONE
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
For reference, the SNES was launched in the US on August 23, 1991. I was born August 9, 1991.
I have officially been alive longer than the SNES has been in the US...btw I still own my very first SNES that I got when when I was 4.
LOL
this is cool, i will try to keep my 3DS alive for 20 years too XD

dpad_5678

Ape weak on own. Ape strong in unity.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
before buying I thought Nintendo was stupid creating this weird controller but actually the N64 became my Favorite !
When the GameCube was released I got it and was completely into it as well ... after those two great consoles Nintendo never failed to not fail XD (except for the handheld)
What about the Wii? It was extremely successful.

Reactions: Lightyose

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    They're made with left over pancake/wafle batter, that's been sitting out all day.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    3 hours on a riding lawn mower, my butt is numb and my whole body is still vibrating. Gonna be a long summer. :cry: I just need to buy some goats.
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @BigOnYa, Did you leave your buttplug in?
    +2
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I feel like I spent the night with Ancientboi
    +3
  • Flame @ Flame:
    Ancientboi at it again.
    +2
  • Flame @ Flame:
    is it a bird is it a plane... no its Ancientboi banging your ass away !
    +3
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Took along time to fit it in?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Snow days $25 on steam may grab it
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Measuring sizes with AncientBoi, I see.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I guess Ancientboi would be Peter
    +2
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Loooooool :rofl2:
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    So true
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    @K3Nv2 Snow Day is pretty fun. My only bitch would be the camera controls, when you move around, say down, you have to move the right stick left or right to get camera to turn and get your view, other than that I like it so far.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    From what people say pvp isn't even worth it
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I just been playing offline, and they give you a few bots here n there on your team to help battle. I don't think it's as funny as the other games tho, more battle oriented than humor, which kinda sucks, but I'm still early in it
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa, doesnt the game have a campaign mode?
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yea, and co-op, but you can also start a pvp session and battle just with friends. You get special skill cards (powers) the more you play. And higher value cards, but you can only enable so many cards at a time.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    If you can find enough for it
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Toilet paper is considered the money, you collect and buy stuff with TP, kinda funny. Graphics are def better than the other games tho, I think they used Unity 5 engine.
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Look if I zoom in enough I can see the herpes!!!
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    In fact I'm gonna go make a drink, roll a fatty n play some, good night to all!
    +2
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: