Happy 20th birthday, to the Nintendo 64!

2801862368_df8fdfdafc_o.jpg

It's March 1, 2017 today, and that means it's been a full twenty years since the Nintendo 64 launched (in Europe and Australia, at least) on March 1, 1997. America, as it tends to, got their hands on the console five months prior, in September 1996, so perhaps a celebration is a bit overdue at this point, but I digress. Originally retailing for £250 in the UK, which, going off of a few inflation calculators, £250 translates to around £410 in today's money. That's around £100 more than what the Switch will cost when it launches! In terms of games, the N64 launched with a whopping five titles, such as Pilotwings 64, FIFA Soccer 64, Star Wars: Shadow of the Empire, Wayne Gretzky's Hockey, and finally, the ever-lovable flagship title, Super Mario 64.

It was a console created to compete with in the fifth generation of gaming, although it was a bit late to the party, coming out two years after the PlayStation and Saturn. The N64 was Nintendo's first foray into the fledgling market of 64-bit games, moving from pixels and sprites to polygons and large, open worlds. Super Mario 64 would revolutionize the platforming genre, and become such a classic, that it still impacts platforming games to this day. The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time would release nearly two years later, on December 11, 1998, and would further innovate gaming, as it brought the Zelda series to 3D for the first time, as well. Third-party company Rare would continue their partnership with Nintendo, and go on to create well-remembered games such as GoldenEye 007, Killer Instinct, Diddy Kong Racing, and what is probably their most beloved N64 release, Banjo-Kazooie.

Nintendo would also release a litany of other standout titles, like Pokemon Stadium, which would showcase player's favorite Pokemon in more than just black-and-white pixels. There was F-Zero X, which would become one of the N64's only 60fps titles, reportedly becoming the first 3D racing game to run at such a smooth speed. Mario Sports titles would also find their beginnings here, with Golf and Tennis making their debuts. Paper Mario continued Super Mario RPG's turn-based legacy, offering a sprawling adventure across the Mushroom Kingdom. Super Smash Bros. would become an expected success, creating a party brawler who's sequel is still rabidly played to this day. Everyone's favorite love-to-hate, rage-quit ridden, joystick breaking game, Mario Party also had it's roots on the N64. Multiplatform games like Tony Hawk's Pro Skater, Rayman 2, Resident Evil 2, and more, also found success on Nintendo's at-the-time current home console. Nintendo franchises like Yoshi, Kirby, Donkey Kong, Star Fox all thrived as well, with their releases on the N64 being some of the best in Nintendo history. It wasn't all success, though. Mother 3, Fire Emblem 64, and other third party projects would find themselves cancelled, or moved to other platforms, as companies parted ways with Nintendo, such as Square Enix and Final Fantasy.

Fireemblem6beta01.jpg manor.jpg oriental-blue-nintendo-64dd-cancelled.jpg

When all was said and done, the Nintendo 64 sold just a tick under 33 million units. Many loved the console, and many found the lack of certain titles enough to jump ship and join the Sony side of things. So, what's your opinion on the N64? Any cherished memories of the console that you fondly remember? Or do you view the N64 a bit more cynically? Share your thoughts and opinions below!

Last edited by Chary,
D

Deleted User

Absolutely LOVE the n64. I got it at launch for my birthday. Wow that was a while ago lol. Killer instinct 2 would become my favorite game ever. Along with zelda, shadows of the Empire and does anyone remember quest 64? Yes I liked Mario 64 too. It was the first game I played.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

The last time I remember me playing a N64 was when me and my mom were trying to play Hey You Pikachu with the blue and yellow N64 console and controller with the mic.
Totally. Me and my mom use to go at it with, I don't remember the name, but it was a monster truck racing game. She even bought a steering wheel lol.

Eurasiam

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I still have my original n64, with the expansion pack for Zelda Majora's Mask. N64 has so many memories...Goldeneye, Mario Sports games, Bomberman. Next to the gamecube, we probably spent so many years playing this in my old friend's basement....sigh. I miss those days.

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
...And 20 years later,N64 emulation is still shit.

Yes and no, it's better, 64DD ROMs work, RE2 works, CBFD works, you just need to use a plugin that isn't shit lol. Not sure where you've been, but almost every commercial game runs very well using the GlideN64 and LLE graphics *shrug*.

Reactions: Lightyose

GravitySuitCollector

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If people are mentioning their consoles, there's still the original one of my older brothers got sitting in the living room, and then there are two in my room (a pikachu and a black one, one not mine and the other ended up in my hands somehow). Three Gamecubes beats that number, though.

There are too many good games on the system. I absolutely love Mischief Makers(that 100M dash yellow gem eludes me still...). The only thing that sucks is the control stick life. Mario Party was the grim reaper (tug of war; blisters were had). :x We have 6 controllers, but only 2 have decent sticks atm.

Hanafuda

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
For reference, the SNES was launched in the US on August 23, 1991. I was born August 9, 1991.
I have officially been alive longer than the SNES has been in the US...btw I still own my very first SNES that I got when when I was 4.

Shit dude, I was already 19 when the NES came out. Wasted my college years on SMB, Prince of Persia, RC Pro Am, and bong hits. (Kids, don't do this at home.)

I was in my third year of law school in the spring of '97, about to graduate, when I first got a taste of the N64 at a demo kiosk in a Blockbuster store. But I didn't buy the console when it launched, because I had the bar exam to worry about that summer. I finally bought one in '99. I currently own two, one an early plain jane that is an easy RGB mod, the other a purple "Funtastic' model, which may be a candidate for the UltraHDMI. (??thinking about it)

Last edited by Hanafuda,

CMDreamer

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
I still have my N64, but haven't played it loooong ago.

Don't want to start a brand fight right now, but what other brands of consoles do you nkow that can last that long working as if it were day one?

I've almost all consoles made by Ninty to this day and all of them work as a charm.

chaosrunner

Substitute Soul Reaper
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I'm assuming you never played Mischief Makers or Banjo Kazooie. :v

I'm so glad my older brother worked at a Hollywood Video at the time. Free unlimited game rentals. :DDD
man i should have said "in my opinion" first right cus if not every one will lose thier minds (i have played banjo kazooie and NEVER liked it)

GravitySuitCollector

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
man i should have said "in my opinion" first right cus if not every one will lose thier minds (i have played banjo kazooie and NEVER liked it)
Thus the ":v" at the end of my sentence there. I knew it was your opinion, but I felt like giving you a hard time. :) I just don't quite see Pokemon Stadium standing at the forefront of the N64 lineup. There are too many games I just liked more (Pokemon Puzzle League, quickest way to beat eight gym leaders plus champions...?). I did play quite a bit of the minigames with my siblings (I was iirc better at the sushi minigame). Maybe if I was playing more GB Pokemon at the time....(did play Red then, but had beaten the elite four already, didn't exactly have a trading/battle buddy with the game)

Deleted member 333767

Trophies
XP
Ahh, the nintendo 64, my family bought one for christmas of 1996 as my mother is a casual gamer even to this day, which worked out very well for me and my brothers growing up :D

It really was a shame that the quality control was rubbish for N64. I still own two PAL SNES consoles in perfect working condition to this day, after more than 20 years, and our N64 died within two years.

bjaxx87

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
ssb an pokemon stadium where the best games for the 64
I just don't quite see Pokemon Stadium standing at the forefront of the N64 lineup. There are too many games I just liked more (Pokemon Puzzle League, quickest way to beat eight gym leaders plus champions...?). I did play quite a bit of the minigames with my siblings (I was iirc better at the sushi minigame). Maybe if I was playing more GB Pokemon at the time....(did play Red then, but had beaten the elite four already, didn't exactly have a trading/battle buddy with the game)
Oh damn, I was SO hyped when Stadium was announced for the west! :D My friends and I played Pokémon Red/Blue like maniacs and the simple idea of seeing our own Pokémon in full 3D graphics was mindblowing. I had the release day marked in my calendar and counted the days until I finally rode my bicycle to every single local video game shop, department store and electronics store I could think of. Without success, though, so I had to keep asking stores when to expect their delivery (I'm glad there's Amazon nowadays...) and was in luck a few days (or was it weeks? it felt like weeks...) later. A clerk mentioned that he wished they had the game since so many Pokémon fans were asking for it - an early example of Nintendo underproducing something with high demand.

So yeah, we played it like crazy and I really enjoyed challenging Pokémon battles for once (no online battles or post-game battling facilities back then) and I think we even spent more time on those mini games than on Mario Party. You could even play your Pokémon game on your TV, you could transfer your own teams... all that was just something very special back in the day.

I'd say my favorite N64 titles were Perfect Dark, Banjo-Kazooie, both Zeldas and Diddy Kong Racing, but Stadium will keep a special place in my heart next to other fun games like Snowboard Kids, Mission: Impossible, Shadow Man, Super Smash Bros. and Mystical Ninja.

thekarter104

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes and no, it's better, 64DD ROMs work, RE2 works, CBFD works, you just need to use a plugin that isn't shit lol. Not sure where you've been, but almost every commercial game runs very well using the GlideN64 and LLE graphics *shrug*.

Well, on emulation, you wait literally like 10 seconds just to pause the game and choose your items on Ocarina of Time.
Really painful. The Ocarina of Time ROM Hacks are only playable on emulator >_>

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    I @ idonthave: :)