Halo 5: Guardians rated T for Teen by ESRB - First in the series

halo-5-guardians.jpg

A first for the Halo franchise, Microsofts latest title has received a T for Teen rating by the ESRB.
According to the ratings board, "This is a first-person shooter in which players assume the role of a super soldier (Locke) searching for a missing character. Players use pistols, machine guns, grenade launchers, and futuristic weapons to kill alien and human enemies in frenetic combat. Battles are highlighted by realistic gunfire, explosions, and occasional blood-splatter effects. Characters can also use "assassinations" to kill characters by snapping their necks, or by stabbing them with bladed weapons. The word "a*s" appears in the dialogue, as well as occasional taunts/insults (e.g., "I have copulated...with your genetic progenitors!"; 'Your father was a filthy colo and your mother was a hole in the wall!')."
Halo going for a teen rating is an odd decision on the ESRB's part, considering the game isn't any less tame than previous entries in the series. Is the ESRB getting a little more lax?
The mention of guns being used to kill human players is also an interesting tidbit, that could point to the inclusion of Arbiter/Elite style levels returning, ala Halo 2.

You can watch some of the new Halo 5 Guardians gameplay recently released at Gamescom below.

RevPokemon

GBATemp's 3rd Favorite Transgirl
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Reminds me how some one on pokemon x said go kill yourself and another guy I once saw mentioned pussy

Well, a lot of people who play online are arrogant assholes who think they're safe behind a wall of anonymity, erroneously assuming they are immune. That's the major reason I don't play online, I'm often surrounded by punks.

RevPokemon

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, a lot of people who play online are arrogant assholes who think they're safe behind a wall of anonymity, erroneously assuming they are immune. That's the major reason I don't play online, I'm often surrounded by punks.
Yeah well online play reflects the Internet as a whole.
Plus I like playing vs people I know so I do WiFi pvp battles like in GBATemp tourneys but I feel thats different

WiiCube_2013

Trophies
XP
Country
Gaza Strip
I played online Halo 1, 3, ODST and Reach all of which never really felt unsuitable for 10-12 year olds to play so I see no reason why it shouldn't be rated T / PEGI 12.

WiiCube_2013

Trophies
XP
Country
Gaza Strip
Well the blood wasn't that bad. I personally would rather have my kid play halo than tekken.

Totally forgot the blood but that's so trivial in a shooter where the most important aspect is to kill the enemies rather than notice what comes out of them. CoD MW2 was pretty fun too, despite that the blood only showed up as spray for a few seconds.

Tekken 3 or nothing!

RevPokemon

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Totally forgot the blood but that's so trivial in a shooter where the most important aspect is to kill the enemies rather than notice what comes out of them. CoD MW2 was pretty fun too, despite that the blood only showed up as spray for a few seconds.

Tekken 3 or nothing!
Yeah plus it depends how blood is used like a game like no more hero's or madworld is a lot different from halo or Cod

G0R3Z

Just Can't Be Bothered
Trophies
XP
Country
Yeah plus it depends how blood is used like a game like no more hero's or madworld is a lot different from halo or Cod

Halo wasn't really bloody, and it wasn't in a 'realistic' environment like COD where people can get offended. It's in a fantasy environment, so I think it's okay for Pre-teens even. COD is mature for a reason, yet parents let their 12 year olds play it.

RevPokemon

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Halo wasn't really bloody, and it wasn't in a 'realistic' environment like COD where people can get offended. It's in a fantasy environment, so I think it's okay for Pre-teens even. COD is mature for a reason, yet parents let their 12 year olds play it.
Hell my cousin (who is now 6) was playing left for dead when he was 4

G0R3Z

Just Can't Be Bothered
Trophies
XP
Country
Hell my cousin (who is now 6) was playing left for dead when he was 4

Bit over the top.

My daughter is 6 and she plays Super Smash Bros., Mario Kart and platform games like Yoshi's Wooly World. She enjoys Retro games like old Mario Games and surprisingly Zelda too.

She's played some PC games though, mostly platformers like Teslagrad, Megabyte Punch and Shovel Knight.

I'd never let her play violent games though, you have to draw the line.

RevPokemon

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Bit over the top.

My daughter is 6 and she plays Super Smash Bros., Mario Kart and platform games like Yoshi's Wooly World. She enjoys Retro games like old Mario Games and surprisingly Zelda too.

She's played some PC games though, mostly platformers like Teslagrad, Megabyte Punch and Shovel Knight.

I'd never let her play violent games though, you have to draw the line.
absolutely but his mom (my cousin) lets him watch all that zombie stuff like walking dead.
Personally when I get kids I'm letting them play games like those you mention.

G0R3Z

Just Can't Be Bothered
Trophies
XP
Country
absolutely but his mom (my cousin) lets him watch all that zombie stuff like walking dead.
Personally when I get kids I'm letting them play games like those you mention.

Indeed, because 'most' (not all) parents just let their kids watch the same sort of things they do, like the walking dead, Game of thrones etc. So as parents are getting younger ( I myself was only 19 when my daughter was born), they're taking much a similar stance on the games they allow their children to see and play. 18 year old dads will let their young children see them slaughtering mindless hordes of undead in games like Dead Island and Dead Rising, or shooting people in the face in COD.

Unfortunately my daughters are extremely impressionable, part of that being how I'm raising them. So while I'm trying to teach them about evolution and physics, letting them see things like gore aren't particularly helpful when it comes to trying to teach them about morals and ethics.

RevPokemon

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Indeed, because 'most' (not all) parents just let their kids watch the same sort of things they do, like the walking dead, Game of thrones etc. So as parents are getting younger ( I myself was only 19 when my daughter was born), they're taking much a similar stance on the games they allow their children to see and play. 18 year old dads will let their young children see them slaughtering mindless hordes of undead in games like Dead Island and Dead Rising, or shooting people in the face in COD.

Unfortunately my daughters are extremely impressionable, part of that being how I'm raising them So while I'm trying to teach them about evolution and physics, letting them see things like gore aren't particularly helpful when it comes to trying to teach them about morals and ethics.
I understand but I mean I just feel regardless people need to know that just because you do something doesn't mean your kids can. I mean when I was a kid my parents didn't let me watch what they were watching (partially since it wasn't that interesting to me at all). Plus at that age kids will belief anything I mean I got my 3 y/o cousin to belief you could lose your arm and grow it back (among other things). Plus somewhat like you said there are almost no things worth learning for small kids in shows and stuff like that (at least what they understand) compared to kid stuff that can help teach important concepts. Plus its like I have always thought games can be good but the issue is when you have parents who have kids and give them a 360 and say here you go, go nuts just as a way to keep them distracted. Granted I played games a good bit when I was that age but I still did other stuff with my folks and that is stuff i don't want kids to miss personally.

Deboog

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Its always been more of a T rated series. I've always thought it was a little ridiculous to rate them M. I'd certainly be happy if the esrb was getting more lax. As someone who can drive to the store but is still apparently can't handle the contents of a videogame, its incredibly inconvenient when they decide to card me.
I don't think snapping necks is T materiel. I mean that is a very real thing that can be done to kill people in real life.

G0R3Z

Just Can't Be Bothered
Trophies
XP
Country
I don't think snapping necks is T materiel. I mean that is a very real thing that can be done to kill people in real life.

If you've got years of training under your belt. Apparently snapping necks is kind of difficult. My dad was in the Army and he trained with a purpose made dummy to 'snap necks'. He said it took incredible strength and precision of grip to do it properly.

But I know what you mean - but I think the ESRB is thinking the lack of blood makes it okay. They tend to look at stuff like blood, sex ,nudity, swearing and other graphic depictions to rate it M. Maybe they just are getting lax.

Deboog

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you've got years of training under your belt. Apparently snapping necks is kind of difficult. My dad was in the Army and he trained with a purpose made dummy to 'snap necks'. He said it took incredible strength and precision of grip to do it properly.

But I know what you mean - but I think the ESRB is thinking the lack of blood makes it okay. They tend to look at stuff like blood, sex ,nudity, swearing and other graphic depictions to rate it M. Maybe they just are getting lax.
I wonder if Halo 5 has less blood. I distinctly remember shooting corpses in the head made a blood splatter ever shot in the previous Halos.

G0R3Z

Just Can't Be Bothered
Trophies
XP
Country
I wonder if Halo 5 has less blood. I distinctly remember shooting corpses in the head made a blood splatter ever shot in the previous Halos.

It's rated Teen, so bungie probably toned down the graphic violence to get it to that rating. It's probably more like destiny, which wasn't particularly graphic in blood or gore.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @BakerMan, I have a piano keyboard but I never use it