Halal and non-Halal meat

• Thread starter Saiyan Lusitano
  • Start date
  • Views 5,903
  • Replies 83
S

Saiyan Lusitano

OP
Halal meat is said to be cleaner, better and that the animals get a dignified death, but the Halal meat that I've bought before (roasted chicken, for example) had blood (multiple times so not a one thing) so that goes against the idea that it's superior to non-Halal meat.

Seeing how cheap meat gets sold for you can bet that the animals get anything but a dignified death.

By the way, I've stopped buying it and grill it myself with sauce on it so it actually has flavour and can double-check and clean it. I'm big cooker but do like to know what I'm buying and eating (it's not hard for me to tell when I'm eating cow, pork or chicken -- some people can't tell though).

Make Meat Great Again! :P

Madridi

Card Collector
Trophies
XP
Country
Qatar
I'm not expert, but I'll state what's I know.

Of course halal meat will have blood uncooked. Any meat does. As for roasted chicken, the degree of the cooking doesn't constitute the way the meat is considered halal or not.

Besides the humane part of slaughtering the animal, the benefits from slaughtering in this way compared to let's say electicution, is that scientifically, the animal spreads in his moment of panic enzymes/hormones that are bad for human consumption. Blood also escapes the body of the terrified animal, usually results in less tenderness of the meat.

Semi-related information: Halal is an Arabic word, literally translates to "permitted" (contextually, permitted by god) that is synonymous with Islam. Judaism have more or less the same procedure (not sure if there is a single difference, but at the very least it's very similar). It's called Kosher

mudassirul

Trophies
XP
Country
These days food that's labelled as halal don't exactly follow its requirements due to industrialization, rules such as animals can't be slaughtered where other animals can see are often disregarded. Blood is regarded as foul in Islam and should be drained and even non-halal chickens are often slaughtered in a way to drain blood away.

Madridi

Card Collector
Trophies
XP
Country
Qatar
These days food that's labelled as halal don't exactly follow its requirements due to industrialization, rules such as animals can't be slaughtered where other animals can see are often disregarded. Blood is regarded as foul in Islam and should be drained and even non-halal chickens are often slaughtered in a way to drain blood away.
While most of what you said is more or less accurate, one statement is not afaik:

The drainage of the blood is through cooking. So for example, eating a steak as "rare" or "medium" cooked is not acceptable cause it would still have blood. That's why the norm in Islamic places would be "well done" cooking

Reactions: Deleted User

J-Machine

Self proclaimed Pog champion
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Halal meat is prepared while being blessed (either by human prayer or cd track) on top of what has already been said. Also Don't clean your meat. All you are doing is spreading the disease around and increasing your chances of infection. The heat you cook with will sanitize your food.

Reactions: Madridi

Madridi

Card Collector
Trophies
XP
Country
Qatar
While most of what you said is more or less accurate, one statement is not afaik:

The drainage of the blood is through cooking. So for example, eating a steak as "rare" or "medium" cooked is not acceptable cause it would still have blood. That's why the norm in Islamic places would be "well done" cooking
I should clarify a point that I just researched to make sure of its validity:
While Drainage of blood is done through cooking, and eating meat should in a well done state, it is actually not a concrete condition. Muslims can eat it with some blood if they are entirely sure beyond reasonable doubt that it won't cause them any harm. However, most stick to well done to make sure they don't really fall into a bad act without intending to do so.

That being said, some scholars do disagree and say that it is forbidden.

In any case, they all agree on the method of blood drainage, but they disagree on the blood. It's not one of the main conditions, but each side have their own condition from the Quran.

I hope that makes sense :)

Costello

Headmaster
Administrator
Trophies
XP
I will never buy halal meat. The reason is because for meat to be recognized as 'halal', the butcher/producer/etc needs to obtain certifications which cost a good amount of money and have to be renewed on a regular basis (look it up). The only people allowed to give halal certifications are imams. This is one of the ways that the Islamic religion finances itself.

I am not against Islam per se, but my personal stance is that I am against all religions. Religion is the main justification for violence over the course of history. Children are indoctrinated at a young age when they are most vulnerable, we impose those beliefs upon them when they are not capable of critical thinking.

Therefore I am against halal because buying halal means giving money to a particular religion (I would feel the same no matter which religion)

Last edited by Costello,

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I have eaten plenty of both. The only difference I can see is maybe a slight difference in the carving up section, definitely if it is qurbani meat, which can change the taste but I doubt you will ever get a double blind test to confirm anything here.

"cleaner, better and that the animals get a dignified death,"
Bunch of crap if you ask me. Of the ancient slaughtering and butchery methods it is one of the few that holds up in any real capacity but I definitely can't get to it being "better".

Personally I don't have a problem with cutting throats, stun guns+air bolt or wringing something's neck. There are bad ways to do it and while stun guns+air bolt are very efficient (more so than other things) the others are not unpardonably so.

The blood thing. There are some weird beliefs, or perhaps rationalisations, here when speaking to people. Anyway it made sense a few thousand/hundred years ago but with modern farming, disease management and refrigeration you would only be doing it because tradition, same for eating pig.

Hells Malice

Are you a bully?
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Am I the only one who has never seen halal meat before?
Didn't even know wtf it was until reading in this thread.

It sounds like more pointless shit like throwing "organic" on things.

Reactions: TerryG

ItsMetaKnight

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I think halal meals are really, really disgusting. Stabbing animals in the neck at full conciousness and fear and wait for it to bleed out and die slowly. This is barbaric and unacceptable for anyone who has empathy towards other animals.
These practices are even illegal by animal rights laws, but unfortunately as long as these are religious actions, politicans are fine with it.

I'm no vegan or anything, but I'm really mad whenever I see a halal ad, and it makes me dislike islam.

Last edited by ItsMetaKnight,
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Am I the only one who has never seen halal meat before?
Didn't even know wtf it was until reading in this thread.

It sounds like more pointless shit like throwing "organic" on things.
I only saw it on our fresh lamb that we sold at the store I worked at. One of my coworkers and I used to joke that it was terrorist lamb.

Also, that liquid that comes out of raw meat isn't blood. It's retained water in the muscle that's soaked up a bunch of protein. That's why it looks different when it comes from pork, poultry, beef, etc.

S

Saiyan Lusitano

OP

And that's the thing. The blood isn't drained away.

The only thing dignified about meat is how much I can stuff myself with it.
True that.

Halal meat is prepared while being blessed (either by human prayer or cd track) on top of what has already been said. Also Don't clean your meat. All you are doing is spreading the disease around and increasing your chances of infection. The heat you cook with will sanitize your food.
I'll take my chances and clean it. ;)

I already killed a chiken and cooked it straight, taste better but more work
Home grown chickens have an odd scent but otherwise they're really good.

I agree with Costy.
I am against all religions.

Edit: I get whatever meat me bf gets from me from the store and it's always non-halal.

I always check on the back to see what kind of meat I'm buying as I always prefer pork any other meat.

Reactions: Alkéryn

kumikochan

Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Halal and kosjer finally got forbidden by law here in Belgium and it's a damn time it did ! That it got forbidden is based on scientific studies that it takes ages for the animals to die and that they're in the most pain you can imagine while being butchered but ofcourse Muslims denied those scientific studies and are trying to appeal it in court and their claim already got denied multiple times by judges. Good riddance !

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Tandem even
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    i think i heard of that, it's a good idea, shouldn't need a dedicated GPU just to run a LLM or video upscaling
    even the nvidia shield tv has AI video upscaling
    LLMs can be run on cpu anyway but it's quite slow
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    Have you ever been beaten by a wet spaghetti noodle by your girlfriend because she has a twin sister, and you got confused and fucked her dad?
    I had a girlfriend who had a twin sister and they would mess with me constantly.... Until one chipped a tooth then finally I could tell them apart.... Lol
    They would have the same hair style the same clothes everything... Really messed with my head lol
    @The Real Jdbye, I could see AMD trying to pull off the CPU GPU tandem thing, would be a way to maybe close the gap a bit with Nvidia. Plus it would kinda put Nvidia at a future disadvantage since Nvidia can't make X86/64 CPUs? Intel and AMD licensing issues... I wonder how much that has held back innovation.
    i don't think nvidia wants to get in the x64 cpu market anyways
    you've seen how much intel is struggling getting into the gpu market
    and nvidia is already doing ARM
    i don't think they want to take more focus away from their gpus
    Yeah I think Nvidia s future lays in AI GPU acceleration stuff if they can get that going it's going to be super interesting in the long term
    AI assisted game creation might become a thing
    At least that's something I think would be pretty cool.
    Don some VR glasses and gloves and talk to the computer and paint entire worlds
    "OK Cortana I want that mountain a little taller and more snow on top, and I would like some random ancient pine forest around the bottom"
    "Now we need a spring fed river flowing down the north side and add some wild life appropriate for the biome"
    Many TBs of assets and the programming of something like that is going to be tough but I think it's something we might see in 20 years maybe sooner
    @Psionic Roshambo AI assisted game creation is kinda already here, there was recently that AI that can turn any 2D image into a fully modeled 3D object, it's not perfect, but it's a starting point, beats starting from zero
    before that there was one to generate a fully modeled scene from a 2D image
    but most recently, there was one that actually generates a working unity scene with terrain and textures already set up that you can import right into unity, that's a huge time saver right there
    and using LLMs to generate NPC dialogue and even dynamically generated quests is something i'm sure is already happening
    will just take some time for games made using those things to be completed and released
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: will just take some time for games made using those things to be completed and released