Gaming Had the new Mario Kart 8 update fix the 59fps bug?

DId Nintendo fix the 59fps Issue?

• Yes, it does.

Votes: 4 11.1%
  • No, it doesn't, because Nintendo don't care about that little frame.

Votes: 32 88.9%

• Total voters

VinsCool

Persona Secretiva Felineus
Global Moderator
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Canada
Digital Foundry and other places have reported it too, but I do see a difference when I play in single and online mode.

In all the time I played MK8 with friends, we never noticed it :)

zekepliskin

Trophies
XP
Country
The people who say it's there aren't nuts, believe me. I've extensively played all versions of Mario Kart barring the N64 one and framerate has been rock solid 99.9% of the time in all of them (I've seen MK7 on 3DS drop a few frames maybe twice in hundreds of hours gaming with it, so minor it's barely worth mentioning). I noticed it within the first few minutes of playing. The slower the class the more obvious, I find, 50cc obviously being the worst.

In my opinion not a deal breaker by any means and it's still among the best games in the series, but it's definitely there. Version 4.1 still has it. It's easy to say that other games drop frames all the time, and they do, but never with this type of consistency. And Mario Kart has a high benchmark for not having technical problems like this, it's what makes it such a great racer.

I suppose it all depends on your reactions, and where you are on the latent inhibition scale. If you're on the low side you're more likely to be able to see it. Me personally, I ride motorbikes at speed, my reaction times are pretty good and it didn't take me long to spot it. Luckily it doesn't ruin the game by any means, but I know it's there.

Doesn't drop anywhere near as many frames as The Witcher 3 on PS4... damn. :-D

S

Saiyan Lusitano

You guys want a Wii U game with horrible framerate issues? Watch Dogs. That piece of crap also takes 30 secs each time it loads so that's just wonderful.

*sigh* Should have gotten it for the 360 or PS3 instead.

zekepliskin

Trophies
XP
Country
But it's one frame...

Hence my repetition of the statements that it doesn't ruin the game, or really bring it down much at all. It's just noticeable because in my experience and those of others, before this none of the MK titles had this sort of issue.

You guys want a Wii U game with horrible framerate issues? Watch Dogs. That piece of crap also takes 30 secs each time it loads so that's just wonderful.

*sigh* Should have gotten it for the 360 or PS3 instead.

Still drops frames and has other issues on the Xbox 360, believe me. I didn't personally rate it much besides that, kind of a mashup of GTA and Deus Ex, but a Lite version if that makes sense. Story was alright, I guess, it's a fair game just not all it was made out to be.

RowanDDR

SNES Lover
Trophies
XP
Country
But it's one frame...

Its one frame every second. Ruins the sense of (a) speed and (b) a racing experience/simulation because in real life, moving through space as you drive doesn't stutter, its a fluid experience. I doubt I'd notice this minor stutter in an RPG or platformer.. but in a racing game.. fluid movement is everything. Imagine listening to a music track that stuttered once every second for the entire track. This is the visual equivalant.

Last edited by RowanDDR,

TotalInsanity4

GBAtemp Supreme Overlord
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Its one frame every second. Ruins the sense of (a) speed and (b) a racing experience/simulation because in real life, moving through space as you drive doesn't stutter, its a fluid experience. I doubt I'd notice this minor stutter in an RPG or platformer.. but in a racing game.. fluid movement is everything. Imagine listening to a music track that stuttered once every second for the entire track. This is the visual equivalant.
But it's not stuttering, it's just not showing the same amount of frames... and it's not "one frame every second," it's "one frame for a few seconds every once in a while"

RowanDDR

SNES Lover
Trophies
XP
Country
But it's not stuttering, it's just not showing the same amount of frames... and it's not "one frame every second," it's "one frame for a few seconds every once in a while"

Its not every once in a while, where did you get that from? Every second, 59 perfect frames are rendered and then the 60th frame seems to be a duplicate of the 59th frame.. thus causing a visual stutter.

Its not a drop in framerate, its a repeated frame.

S

Saiyan Lusitano

Still drops frames and has other issues on the Xbox 360, believe me. I didn't personally rate it much besides that, kind of a mashup of GTA and Deus Ex, but a Lite version if that makes sense. Story was alright, I guess, it's a fair game just not all it was made out to be.

Then, I'll get it on PS4 whenever that'll be if the time comes but to be honest, once I'm done with it I'm just going to trade it in. It's the worst console port of Watch Dogs and Ubisoft could've as well just cancelled it altogether.

zekepliskin

Trophies
XP
Country
Then, I'll get it on PS4 whenever that'll be if the time comes but to be honest, once I'm done with it I'm just going to trade it in. It's the worst console port of Watch Dogs and Ubisoft could've as well just cancelled it altogether.

Yeah PS4 version is the definitive console one, as compared to the Xbox 360 which I was able to compare it to at least. I wouldn't choose to own it again on Wii U personally. Whereas something like Batman Arkham City: Armoured Closet Edition I'd gladly play again because I've read it's an above average port with some clever use of the Wii U gamepad and a modern classic, in my opinion.

Anyway, with this Mario Kart 8 thing I feel like I've reopened a can of worms... sorry, I guess? Kinda reminds me of the whole blue/black dress bollox where some see it and some don't :lol:

zekepliskin

Trophies
XP
Country
Cemu's already that good?

I wish! Without a PC Master Race top level machine I'm sure it would struggle even with games it is supposed to be highly compatible with. It's probably like with Dolphin where it does a very good job and can re-render certain assets to look better than the original, but can't quite nail the timing because it's software unlike the hardware style emu the Wii and Wii U do, where it's the same architecture in effect just clocked down etc for compatibility.

S

Saiyan Lusitano

I wish! Without a PC Master Race top level machine I'm sure it would struggle even with games it is supposed to be highly compatible with. It's probably like with Dolphin where it does a very good job and can re-render certain assets to look better than the original, but can't quite nail the timing because it's software unlike the hardware style emu the Wii and Wii U do, where it's the same architecture in effect just clocked down etc for compatibility.
I'd hate to be part of the PC Master Race and not be able to play Red Dead Redemption.

zekepliskin

Trophies
XP
Country
I'd hate to be part of the PC Master Race and not be able to play Red Dead Redemption.

Yep, although it would have run a lot better on a PC. Both Xbox 360 and PS3 versions (owned, played, completed both) suffered performance issues, PS3 being the worse of the two as it had what I would consider a lower framerate overall and more likely to dip from that lower framerate.

What gets me is that of all the titles that have had updated re-releases with a bit of spit and polish applied and improved performance, including Rockstar's own GTA V, that one of their finest titles Red Dead Redemption never made the cut. Even though it had a GOTY Edition which would have been a perfect basis for a PS4/Xbone version, I always fancied an unlockable which changed all the weapons to ones James Bond would use, i.e. the default pistol is a Walther PPK, the Mauser (ironically given it's clip capacity) for a super powerful one-shot Golden Gun and so on.

Captain_N

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i don't notice the issue... let me try a crt from 2000, Nope still don't notice it. Oh ill try my old 1960's Tv(yes i actually have 1), still don't notice it. Aint it sad a tv from 1961 has a smaller lag time then modern hd tvs..... Still who cares about 1 frame. How are you noticing that? Do you have Borg implants?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    also gonna install twilight menu in my r4 flashcard
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    One thing that just occurred to me.... The sound on the 2600 sucked less back then the harsh sound we hear now is from infinitely better speakers we have now, back when the 2600 was new speakers produced a almost muffled sound, like CRTs made old graphics look slightly better.
    I wonder if I could recommend that to some emulation devs that perhaps the sound could use some smoothing out to simulate those old TVs
    I think a few of the early systems could benefit from that, at least up to the 8 bit generation, by the 16 bit generation I think TVs had gotten a lot better in almost every way
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    i dont have an sd card adapter but I have an usb sd card adapter
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Old people games
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    its not the one that comes with the r4
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    doesnt work (my flashcard is from r4isdhc.com)
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    might install ysmenu first
    Try Wood firmware
    For your R4
    It's old but it's the best firmware out for DS stuff
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    it says it only works for the original R4, R4i Gold (r4ids.cn), R4iDSN (r4idsn.com) and Acekard R.P.G.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    nvm it does support mine
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    but why choose it over ysmenu @Psionic Roshambo?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    bc im stupid?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    yea ik im stupid
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    good night
    Just give it a try, but honestly if you have a 3DS you can play DS games without a card just off the internal SD card
    Slightly slower loading but a bit more convenient
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    guys, my fuckin headphones have an out of place speaker
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Did you try wearing them?
    B @ btjunior: @Xdqwerty 16