Hacking Hacking the WiiU: A Simple Progress Guide

Shigakure

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello guys, first, I want to apologize if this was already asked. I'm totally a noob, and I have some questions regarding to "hack" the vWii.

I bought a Wii U, and I friend of mine told me about this, and I simply couldn't believe it, it's like a dream, haha.

Well, this are the questions I have:

1. Is this the post I must follow in order to "hack" the vWii? (I won't use cheats or mods or thinks that I've read about that, what I simply want is, the possibility of playing Wii, Game Cube and Nintendo 64 games on my Wii U (vWii)), in case this is not the topic or not the only topic, could you please link it or tell me what is the process called?

2. Is it safe to do that process I'm talking about?, like, could damage my Wii U?, or could I get ban from the Wii U?, I've read the first post and it says no, but I'm not sure if the process in this post it's all I need to play Wii, GC and N64 games.

3. What kind of controllers can I use for Wii, GC and N64 games?, I have Wii U Pro Controller, Wiimote and Nunchuk.

4. I'm planning on buying a 128GB USB drive for 10 dollars, and a SD card of 2 GB. My friend told me that I should buy a Toshiba, because some USB have problem with this process, is that true?, this is the one I'll buy: http://www.ebay.com/itm/128G-128GB-...997?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4d24b34c1d

5. Do I need an specific game copy in order to make this process?

6. Do I need anything else?

This would be all my questions, thank you!

muskieratboi

Rydian's got some competition!
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
1: Yes. There is a tutorial linked in the post. Use one of the exploits to get the homebrew channel on, and then follow truth's tutorial on installing required cIOS. then just google around for how to get VC games running and a USB loader.

2: As long as you follow the instructions in the tutorials correctly, you will be fine. read them twice before you do each step to make sure. THE ABSOLUTE WORST THAT CAN HAPPEN IF YOU TOTALLY FUCK UP AND DON'T FOLLOW THE TUTORIALS is you Brick vWii, and that section of the console becomes inoperable. you will still be able to play Wii U games. As was noted in the first post, Noone has ever been banned for using a hacked vWii, and that is unlikely to change.

3: No idea. up to the software. I'm not sure whether the WiiU Pro is compatible with VC games. Might be best to get a Classic controller pro. some other homebrew, for example, Nintendon't (GC back compat) is compatible with a wide variety of controllers.

4: Brand is much of a muchness. USB is USB. though you may want to consider investing in an actual 2.5 inch hard drive than a flash drive. any of the small portable ones will do. just make sure you get one that's externally powered, or a Y-Adapter. Then you'll be able to throw all of your Legally purchased and ripped Gamecube and Wii games on there. :P (You can rip your wii games to the HDD with most USB loaders, for GC games you'll need a hacked GC compatible Wii)

5: You'll need one of the exploitable games, yes. I linked them in point 1.

6: Some Google Fu, a bit of common sense, and some careful checking.

Shigakure

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I added a partion on a 1TB External HDD (3.0) that I have, I formated it, and then I did all the process, and when I load it with the COnfigurable USB Loader, the screen gets stuck on cfg, I tried with a 8GB Flash Drive and it worked. TotalInsanity4 recommended me to set the partion as primary, but both my partions and primary, and I don't know how to set the other one as logical drive. Also, I'm planning on buying a 128GB (2.0) Flash Drive for 10 dollars to install wii games, should I? (I rather use the HDD in case it's possible, without deleting my current information on the other partion, which is the one I think it's loading, but I'm not sure)

TeamScriptKiddies

Licensed Nintendo (indie) Game Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I added a partion on a 1TB External HDD (3.0) that I have, I formated it, and then I did all the process, and when I load it with the COnfigurable USB Loader, the screen gets stuck on cfg, I tried with a 8GB Flash Drive and it worked. TotalInsanity4 recommended me to set the partion as primary, but both my partions and primary, and I don't know how to set the other one as logical drive. Also, I'm planning on buying a 128GB (2.0) Flash Drive for 10 dollars to install wii games, should I? (I rather use the HDD in case it's possible, without deleting my current information on the other partion, which is the one I think it's loading, but I'm not sure)
I think having both partitions as primary is your issue. Its causing a conflict as CFG is trying to load the primary partition, but there are 2.

Backup everything on both partitions (to be safe) download a tool called aomei partition manager (freeware for windows) and wipe out the primary partition that DOESNT contain you games. Reformatbit to w/e it was before but make sure you format it as a secondary/logical partition NOT primary.

Aomei works wonders :). Put your data back onto the secondary partition then plug it in to you wii/wii u and it should work now (assuming you have the correct CIOS's installed)

sup3rgh0st

Top Tier Ghost
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
4. I'm planning on buying a 128GB USB drive for 10 dollars, and a SD card of 2 GB. My friend told me that I should buy a Toshiba, because some USB have problem with this process, is that true?, this is the one I'll buy: http://www.ebay.com/itm/128G-128GB-...997?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4d24b34c1d

Not sure if it's too late, but I'd shy away from "too good to be true" eBay deals. A lot of those are just 8gb sticks formatted to read something higher. Some of the sellers negative reviews reveal this.

Reactions: pelago

Shigakure

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think having both partitions as primary is your issue. Its causing a conflict as CFG is trying to load the primary partition, but there are 2.

Backup everything on both partitions (to be safe) download a tool called aomei partition manager (freeware for windows) and wipe out the primary partition that DOESNT contain you games. Reformatbit to w/e it was before but make sure you format it as a secondary/logical partition NOT primary.

Aomei works wonders :). Put your data back onto the secondary partition then plug it in to you wii/wii u and it should work now (assuming you have the correct CIOS's installed)

I'll give it a try, thank you! :)

Reactions: TeamScriptKiddies

Shigakure

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Shigakure

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

I have currently a primary and alogical partition, and I'm using the primary to do it. It's 1 TB Seagate HDD, I formated to NTFS and the cfg still get stuck. I'm using a 8GB Flash Drive NFTS as well, and it works, but 8GB it's too little space.

I tried with FAT32 format, but the same. I'm using the Wii Backup Manager, I did this as well for the 8GB Flash Drive, the same process. I've noticed that when it gets to the cfg load screen, it says at the bottom right corner, like the version of the cfg, and also, the light of my HDD turns on, but turns off after a few seconds, like it stop loading it, so I guess here it's the problem, but I don't know why.

Maybe another thing?

Thank you!

pedro702

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
I have currently a primary and alogical partition, and I'm using the primary to do it. It's 1 TB Seagate HDD, I formated to NTFS and the cfg still get stuck. I'm using a 8GB Flash Drive NFTS as well, and it works, but 8GB it's too little space.

I tried with FAT32 format, but the same. I'm using the Wii Backup Manager, I did this as well for the 8GB Flash Drive, the same process. I've noticed that when it gets to the cfg load screen, it says at the bottom right corner, like the version of the cfg, and also, the light of my HDD turns on, but turns off after a few seconds, like it stop loading it, so I guess here it's the problem, but I don't know why.

Maybe another thing?

Thank you!
first you should never ever use nfts, fat32 all the way, preety much nothing is compatible with nfts, preety sure your flashdrive isnt self power so on wiiu it will just not recieve enough power from the crappy usb doors without a y cable, most homebrew programs are usbdoor locked, on the wiiu you need your hdd(or the y cable data cord) on the upper back usb door for most programs.

Shigakure

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello, thank you for your reply. Curious thing, my USB Flash Drive 8GB it's NTFS (not FAT32), and I put Dragon Ball Budokai Tenkaichi 3 and Zelda Skyward Sword in it, and it work's perfectly.

So as I said, with the HDD, I tried NTFS, and since didn't work, and I tried with FAT32, but it ditn't work anyways. And yes, I plugged the USB on the upper back usb door, it's the only one that works for me, if not, it doesn't detect the USB Flash Drive or the HDD.

But still, I cannot figure it out, I'm not sure what it's happening. Currently, my HDD is FAT32 with Dragon Ball Budokai Tenkaichi 3 in a 400 GB partition, FAT32, set as primary. While the other partition, where there are documents and files of mine, it is set as logical drive.

Thank you!

pedro702

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Hello, thank you for your reply. Curious thing, my USB Flash Drive 8GB it's NTFS (not FAT32), and I put Dragon Ball Budokai Tenkaichi 3 and Zelda Skyward Sword in it, and it work's perfectly.

So as I said, with the HDD, I tried NTFS, and since didn't work, and I tried with FAT32, but it ditn't work anyways. And yes, I plugged the USB on the upper back usb door, it's the only one that works for me, if not, it doesn't detect the USB Flash Drive or the HDD.

But still, I cannot figure it out, I'm not sure what it's happening. Currently, my HDD is FAT32 with Dragon Ball Budokai Tenkaichi 3 in a 400 GB partition, FAT32, set as primary. While the other partition, where there are documents and files of mine, it is set as logical drive.

Thank you!
like i said ntfs is only supported by very few programs, most homebrew dont support it, also are you using the wbfs folder with wbfs games inside?

your fat32 should look like this

apps
wbfs (some games need to be named their gameid to appear on certain programs)

Shigakure

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, the HDD is FAT32 and inside of it, there's a wbfs folder, but not apps.

This is what I got on the disk management: http://i.gyazo.com/a852ea3bc5d3bbbfecdd1ca1d0f07b16.png as you can see, the partion E of disk 1 it's the HDD.

On the NTFS 8GB Flash Drive, I got the same, only the wbfs folder and inside of it, it's the game's folder name, plus a disc.info file, and when I go inside the folder of a game, I see the .wbfs file, for example, for Dragon Ball, this is what I got: RDZE70

Thank you!

kakarotto87

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Hello guys!

I have a WiiU softmoded. Basically, I already have the HBC installed. But I'm not sure how to prepare my sd card to install the cIOS d2x, the optional cIOS, USB LOADER GX with the 3.0 with the fix for vWii...
I am completly lost and afraid to do anything wrong. Can someone help me with this?

Sorry for my bad english.

How can I uninstall a channel?

pedro702

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Well, the HDD is FAT32 and inside of it, there's a wbfs folder, but not apps.

This is what I got on the disk management: http://i.gyazo.com/a852ea3bc5d3bbbfecdd1ca1d0f07b16.png as you can see, the partion E of disk 1 it's the HDD.

On the NTFS 8GB Flash Drive, I got the same, only the wbfs folder and inside of it, it's the game's folder name, plus a disc.info file, and when I go inside the folder of a game, I see the .wbfs file, for example, for Dragon Ball, this is what I got: RDZE70

Thank you!
if your launching the apps trough the sd card you dont need to you can put everything on usb so you dont need sd card +usb thats what i did and too manny partition stuff going around there lol i never used partition stuff so idkn if most homebrew apps are picky with it or not i always used a full fat32 hdd and i got everything there from apps to the games since theres no need to use an sd card if your gonna use a usb device everytime

my setup is very simple on my usb hdd

apps/usbloadergx
/ whatever apps use

wbfs/gameid.wbfs

there really isnt anything more simple its just this of couse some apps will need aditional folders like nintendont needs a games folder and a saves folder and emulators who usualy have folders with rooms and saves inside it but thats as simple as it gets.

zoogie

playing around in the end of life
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Micronesia, Federated States of
I've been out of watching the wii u hacking scene for months now so please go easy on me. :P I've looked over this and other threads and see conflicting information.

Is it safe to update to the current firmware for whatever exploit is coming 'SOON' or should I just stick with 4.1.0?

Ray Lewis

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've been out of watching the wii u hacking scene for months now so please go easy on me. :P I've looked over this and other threads and see conflicting information.

Is it safe to update to the current firmware for whatever exploit is coming 'SOON' or should I just stick with 4.1.0?
They are working on 5.3.2. A new update will be released soon. It will probably patch the hacks. I'd avoid the Internet or update quickly to 5.3.2. The safest way is to disconnect the Wii U from the internet and use a disc to update to 5.3.2. You can find out which games have this update. This thread has devolved into vWii help.

Shigakure

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I just bought the 128 GB Flash Drive and I've been having a lot of problems.

I formated the Flash Drive to FAT32 and I tried with a single game (Zelda) and it worked even on the vWii, but I left it installing multiple games with the Wii Backup Manager and it's like it got an error and now it doesn't let me format it, and if I try to delet something inside, it says the disk is write protected, and I tried the thing about the StorageControl and the file writeprotec set to 0, but still :s no one knows what's happening?

Shigakure

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have really bad luck.

I bought two 128 GB Flash Drives, and they end up being disgusting, I installed 1 game on one of the USB to try it, and it worked, bu after that, it's like the Flash Drive automatically becomes write protected. I've tried formating to NFTS, FAT32, whatever thing, and it happens with both.

So I formated my External HDD of 1 TB because with partitions, I was getting the the CFG screen stuck, then after I formated it, I tried installing one game, and it works, so I decided to instlal the other 30 wii games that I downloaded, and I didn't get the cgf loader, but then the HDD was loaded, I got the screen that it was booting the HDD and it got stuck saying like it would boot again in 90 seconds, and underneath that, there was an "OK", but nothing happened so I had to disconnect the Wii U and connect it again, and I tried again with the HDD, and now cfg stuck again... so I formated again the HDD, this time as NTFS just to give it a try, and again cfg screen stuck. I guess I'll just buy a 32 Sandisk USB and install only a few games, instead of having a library of games as I wanted.

This has been so stressfull... if anyone have an advise, thank you!

pedro702

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
I have really bad luck.

I bought two 128 GB Flash Drives, and they end up being disgusting, I installed 1 game on one of the USB to try it, and it worked, bu after that, it's like the Flash Drive automatically becomes write protected. I've tried formating to NFTS, FAT32, whatever thing, and it happens with both.

So I formated my External HDD of 1 TB because with partitions, I was getting the the CFG screen stuck, then after I formated it, I tried installing one game, and it works, so I decided to instlal the other 30 wii games that I downloaded, and I didn't get the cgf loader, but then the HDD was loaded, I got the screen that it was booting the HDD and it got stuck saying like it would boot again in 90 seconds, and underneath that, there was an "OK", but nothing happened so I had to disconnect the Wii U and connect it again, and I tried again with the HDD, and now cfg stuck again... so I formated again the HDD, this time as NTFS just to give it a try, and again cfg screen stuck. I guess I'll just buy a 32 Sandisk USB and install only a few games, instead of having a library of games as I wanted.

This has been so stressfull... if anyone have an advise, thank you!

Most ppl warned you that there are alot of fake flashdrives and they show a fake size so just make sure its really 128gb becuase it might not be thats why they do the write acess.

i dont know why you keep refering "Installed" there is no installs its just pure files being transfered from the pc to the hdd, you should always use the back upper usb port on wiiu, and why not change from CFG tp usbloadergx or wiiflow?

your the first person i ever saw who has dificulty in transfering files, which is just that, transfer, theres no installs or anything files just need to be on the hdd and the hdd on the upper back port, and games be in wbfs format on a wbfs folder that is it.

Shigakure

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Most ppl warned you that there are alot of fake flashdrives and they show a fake size so just make sure its really 128gb becuase it might not be thats why they do the write acess.

i dont know why you keep refering "Installed" there is no installs its just pure files being transfered from the pc to the hdd, you should always use the back upper usb port on wiiu, and why not change from CFG tp usbloadergx or wiiflow?

your the first person i ever saw who has dificulty in transfering files, which is just that, transfer, theres no installs or anything files just need to be on the hdd and the hdd on the upper back port, and games be in wbfs format on a wbfs folder that is it.

Yeah, I meant the transfering by installing, sorry for the confusing.

I'll give it a try with usbloadergx or wiiflow.

tHANK YOU.

Reactions: taz42

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtube.com/shorts/WOppJ92RgGU?si=KE79L6A_3jESsGQM