Review Gyakuten Saiban: The Movie

nikkuchan

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
For anyone who is interested in the Gyakuten Saiban/Phoenix Wright movie, it is a spectacular steaming pile. I did have fun watching it, but it's B movie all the way.
What can I say about it? Should I talk about how all the cases, witness, evidence, and a lot of the dialogue were copied verbatim from the game, all the way down to questioning a cockatoo? Or how copying the look of the characters to the letter is incredibly ridiculous? Seriously, a 10 year-old kid with meticulously combed gray hair looks really really weird. How about how they never explain that certain characters are able to channel dead people? Anyone who hasn't played the games may wonder if they're actually watching the movie, or if they are going through some spontaneous drug trip. Also, why is the detective cool in the movie? He's not the stubbly dim-witted 30-some from the game, he's now a young, handsome, clean-shaven competent guy who looks pretty bad-ass with a bandage on his face. Why is the Blue Badger actually working as a policeman rather than being a mascot?
The courtrooms are filled with holographic screens that people can apparently manipulate by pounding their hands on the table, and a really cool scanner that will scan anything you throw up in the air. And when a verdict is declared, giant holographic words appear and courtroom is filled with confetti.
This movie seemed like the movie was made almost a joke. It was 25% “let's make a good movie” and 75% “if a world like the one in these games real existed, it would be THIS ridiculous.”
It's campy, unoriginal, and really, really bad. There is no character development for anyone but the 2 main characters (Maya is just kinda there and doesn't really do anything), and the best character in the movie is, oddly enough, the bumbling friend with the blonde hair who constantly needs saving.

But, there's quite a bit of B-movie fun to be had. If you liked the game you might get a kick out of how over-the-top everything is. Some parts were really well done as well. the cockatoo questioning and the flash back that follows is very sad and creepy, and also contains one of the scariest images I have seen in years (seriously, I think Miike decided to put that in there just to give everyone nightmares).

The movie sucked hard, but three days after seeing it, I'm still laughing.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
You know, you should've watched it knowing it will be like it. The point of those movies is to be delightfuly bad.

Take Uwe Boll's Postal for example. On its own merit it's a horrible piece, but if you watch it with a guilty pleasure attitude towards it, all of a sudden it becomes pleasant.

nikkuchan

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
You know, you should've watched it knowing it will be like it. The point of those movies is to be delightfuly bad.
I totally did. That was kind of the point of the review. Thanks for very unnecessary comment, though.

Take Uwe Boll's Postal for example. On its own merit it's a horrible piece, but if you watch it with a guilty pleasure attitude towards it, all of a sudden it becomes pleasant.

no attitude, mindset, or amount of drugs would ever make a Uwe Boll movie anywhere near pleasant.

Reactions: 2 people

X_XSlashX_X

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you played the first one you should have knew that the movie was gonna stick pretty close to the plot and dialogue. Such a shame they messed up gumshoe but oh well I won't lose sleep over it. This was a movie made strictly for the fans and everybody should know this.

Ikki

GBATemp's grumpy panda.
Trophies
XP
Country
Uruguay
Well I love watching movies that are hilariously bad. Specially if I know about the background of said movie so, I can't wait to check it out.

Hells Malice

Are you a bully?
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada

This forum censors r*pe but it doesn't censor Uwe Boll?
What the fuck.

nikkuchan

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Wait, the movie is out?
Sweet.
It's been out for about a week in Japan, so sorry. However, the movie will apparently get released in the US in June.

I'm curious about what they're going to do about the names and whatnot. All the names have been changed in the English version, but unless the film gets dubbed, it's gonna pretty obvious that everyone's names are different. I'm sure fans won't really care and just roll with it.

nikkuchan

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
no attitude, mindset, or amount of drugs would ever make a Uwe Boll movie anywhere near pleasant.
Have you watched the movie? I will take a wager that you did not, thus your opinion is pure Bias. Play the game, watch the movie AND THEN you may have a say about it.
Oh gee, we're getting hostile already? Why do you have to get defensive? It's just a comment, and people have opinions. Assuming I haven't seen it is also not very conducive of a good conversation. I have played the games, which were in bad taste, and I have seen the movie, which was in worse taste. I have also seen a number of other Uwe Boll films, none of which I enjoyed in the least.

Calm down. Nobody's attacking you.

Reactions: 1 person

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: Many such cases.