Hacking Guys will you abandon the wii u hacking scene when the switch comes out

AydenTheKilla

Garchomp King
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
honestly, unless a new Pokemon rpg comes out on the switch i wont be purchasing it. especially after the way we were done with the Wii u. id be stupid not to wait a year at least

Trophies
Website
heyquark.com
XP
Country
Australia
The sheer existence of another thing will collectively cause everyone to abandon the existing thing; no questions asked. There is a new box of eggs at the store so my existing box must be destroyed.

I know it's mentioned a lot around here but I don't think a developer has ever explicitly stated that their release schedule is dependent on the NX/Switch. I think that started off as a "it's probably because if this" before everyone adopted it and took it as truth. Feel free to correct me on that one though.

erikas

Trophies
XP
Country
I can finally use my wii u, why would i abandon it? It's not like the switch will have a native hack on launch day.

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
One thing that bothers me about game consoles is the severe lack of DRM they could be implementing. Like having a proprietary disc format that not only uses a proprietary scrambled filesystem, but also encrypted with some crazy 8192-bit encryption keys, both private and common. The optical drive would also spin in the opposite direction, and use a proprietary diameter disc size that won't fit inside a standard DVD/BD burner. And if they try cutting it down to fit, then crucial data will be missing to make their dump incomplete. they could also encrypt the individual files on the disc with 8192-bit key sets, each... as well as use proprietary archiving formats (which they currently do). Not a single file will be editable in either hex or plain text. They could also try to embed as many of the important chips inside the PCB itself, where you'd literally destroy them trying to get to them. Another component to making the system highly-secure would be hypervisors, heavily-encrypted bootroms that can't be dumped or intercepted, and aren't susceptible to race attacks. Another thing to get rid of is ribbon connectors. Everything should be soldered to the PCBs directly, so modchips can't be installed between them (WiiKey Fusion, anyone?). Each component in the console should also have it's own updatable firmware chip, similar to the Xbox One, and how it can update the controller's firmware. The system will be constantly on patrol for any irregularities and shut them down if it detects ANY unsigned code, even in memory. USB drives and SD cards would be formatted to a proprietary disk format directly upon insertion, and without warning. But also heavily encrypted. The warnings would be in the console's manual and the user would agree to those terms upon setting up the console. No web browser, that's just asking to be exploited. I'd add more, but I need sleep.

Reactions: BullyWiiPlaza

jailminer

Joel? Are you up at 6 AM making a Custom Title?
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't think it'll be easy hacking the Switch, but i also don't think it'll be easy to let our progress go.

xtheman

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So you think people would just give after working on an exploit that was being worked on for a year because the new console came out?

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
I think it will continue for as long as they can or at least until they get to the point where they can say they've "finished it."
Hacking scenes still tend to bleed into later generations, mostly to fill in the time until the new generation is hacked.

Ace212

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
:ph34r::ph34r:
One thing that bothers me about game consoles is the severe lack of DRM they could be implementing. Like having a proprietary disc format that not only uses a proprietary scrambled filesystem, but also encrypted with some crazy 8192-bit encryption keys, both private and common. The optical drive would also spin in the opposite direction, and use a proprietary diameter disc size that won't fit inside a standard DVD/BD burner. And if they try cutting it down to fit, then crucial data will be missing to make their dump incomplete. they could also encrypt the individual files on the disc with 8192-bit key sets, each... as well as use proprietary archiving formats (which they currently do). Not a single file will be editable in either hex or plain text. They could also try to embed as many of the important chips inside the PCB itself, where you'd literally destroy them trying to get to them. Another component to making the system highly-secure would be hypervisors, heavily-encrypted bootroms that can't be dumped or intercepted, and aren't susceptible to race attacks. Another thing to get rid of is ribbon connectors. Everything should be soldered to the PCBs directly, so modchips can't be installed between them (WiiKey Fusion, anyone?). Each component in the console should also have it's own updatable firmware chip, similar to the Xbox One, and how it can update the controller's firmware. The system will be constantly on patrol for any irregularities and shut them down if it detects ANY unsigned code, even in memory. USB drives and SD cards would be formatted to a proprietary disk format directly upon insertion, and without warning. But also heavily encrypted. The warnings would be in the console's manual and the user would agree to those terms upon setting up the console. No web browser, that's just asking to be exploited. I'd add more, but I need sleep.

Don't give them any ideas 0.0

Reactions: Deleted User

AydenTheKilla

Garchomp King
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
How about you just move on to a new forum. Good luck paying thousands for games!

Trophies
Website
heyquark.com
XP
Country
Australia
Yeah; just write bug-free code! :D

In all seriousness; I reckon there's a pretty simple reason for why nobody has implemented anything like this: we're talking about video game consoles. All that is a lot of processing overhead for zero end-user gain. Stuff like heavy encryption on everything and constant self-verification take system resources that would otherwise be available to the software; while component firmware updates and self-formatting storage (shudder) outright inconvenience the user. Given Nintendo's track record around cost and console specs, it's not like they could just drop in a juicier processor to offset all this (and anyway, we'd still have the problem of resources being unavailable to programs). Considering all this; I can understand why companies wouldn't put too much focus on making the system Fort Knox: keeping costs down with off-the-shelf parts and squeezing every ounce of performance from them is beneficial to everyone involved.

EclipseSin

Ignorant Wizard
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Personally, yes I will probably turn my focus to the Switch. Jumping in when I did with the Wii U made it possible for me to learn some things in a few different coding languages, and I hope to do the same with the Switch along its lifespan. I'll still be sitting with everyone though I hope. So that said, I'll still be around this section too anyway. I may even be able to help make something some day!!!?!?!?!?111

Me switching focus won't affect you guys though, as I'm just a nobody and just like to learn from these great people. I don't think any of you will have to worry regardless though. I've noticed increased activity since the release of the fw.img loader. Likely other developers are starting to work on stuff now, but I can't really speak for them, nor can I say that with certainty. Just speculation.

Also, there is Team SALT. If they are really doing their own thing and plan to release (it seems to be so), you guys should have something to look forward to regardless.

Have fun guys, no fighting!

migles

All my gbatemp friends are now mods, except for me
Trophies
XP
Country
China
honestly, unless a new Pokemon rpg comes out on the switch i wont be purchasing it. especially after the way we were done with the Wii u. id be stupid not to wait a year at least
i will wait for the "New nintendo switch+ deluxe dual core upgrade"

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: 10 tabs open on chrome and no slow downs suck it low ram ple bs lol