Gaming Guitar Hero Is Coming Back... To Wii U, And Everything Else!

chavosaur

Chavo
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

With the earlier release announcement of Rock Band, many of us were left mildly excited and a little disappointed in the lack of mention of Nintendo's Wii U console.

It was only a matter of time before Activision would make its move and bring Guitar Hero back, and as of today, in a complete twist, it is coming back... and to the Wii U no less!

Coded by UK-based FreeStyleGames - the guys behind DJ Hero and DJ Hero 2 - Guitar Hero Live removes the 3D models of the original series and replaces them with context-sensitive, first-person FMV sequences which react to your performance and offer "a quantum leap forward in immersion and realism." Those of you old enough to remember the days of the Sega Mega CD and 3DO probably did a little bit of sick in your mouths just then.

Also making its introduction is GHTV, the world's FIRST EVER, playable music network.

Guitar Hero Live also introduces GHTV, the world's first playable music video network. GHTV is a 24-hour mode that lets fans play along to a continually-updated collection of official music videos – across a wide variety of genres – from the newest releases to favourite hits. Fans can pick from multiple channels and themed shows, discovering new songs as they play, and can also choose songs to play on-demand. In GHTV, fans can also play with their friends in the same room and against players from around the world to see who has the highest score on a given song, while completing challenges along the way. GHTV is a living, breathing platform that serves as an ever-growing source for new music discovery while further bringing the party atmosphere back to the living room.

:arrow: SOURCE

The game will also feature a brand new guitar controller, so it looks like you'll be replacing that ol' wii one you may have had before.
630x.jpg

The new guitar is designed to garner to multiple levels of playstyle, from close and easy buttons to click for beginners, all the way to the higher, real rockstar layout at the top of the guitar.

And don't worry anyone else that would like to play, the game will also be coming to all last and current gen consoles, as well as mobile devices. (inb4 taptaprevenge comes back.) The release was specifically garnered to mention the Wii U, hence the title.

loco365

Trophies
XP
This is really interesting, especially that new controller layout. It reminds me of Guitar Hero on the DS, which I was quite good at, so I think this 6-button format will prove interesting to master. And the fact that it's coming to so many consoles at once (Wii U, Xbox1, PS4, PS3, 360) is great - that way even if you don't have the newest console you can still play it. Now I need to decide what console I want it for - Wii U, PS3, or 360.

Nathan Drake

Obligations fulfilled, now I depart.
Trophies
XP
Country
Perhaps they should have picked a name that isn't associated with what became the shitty version of Rock Band if they were going to make Guitar Hero that isn't at all actually Guitar Hero.

WiiCube_2013

Trophies
XP
Country
Gaza Strip
They should have opted out and not release it on the Wii U because Wii U owners are known to not support 3rd party publishers. I'm surprised Activision is going forward with this.

Sheimi

A cute Vixen!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is really interesting, especially that new controller layout. It reminds me of Guitar Hero on the DS, which I was quite good at, so I think this 6-button format will prove interesting to master.
I can barely master using 5 buttons.

They should have opted out and not release it on the Wii U because Wii U owners are known to not support 3rd party publishers. I'm surprised Activision is going forward with this.
I support 3rd party publishers on the WiiU.

emmanu888

6 years and still going strong
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
First of all six buttons? Yay for older peripherals incompatibility and no old DLC support. Someone will have to convince me on this one before i even try it, five buttons was great.

Although the FMV concept would be neat to see on an eventual DJ Hero 3 as long as i can use the turntable i already have. If they even make a new DJ Hero game.

Reactions: Subtle Demise

VinsCool

Persona Secretiva Felineus
Global Moderator
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Canada

Not everyone do not support 3rd party games on WiiU though. Some of my WiiU games are 3rd party.

WiiCube_2013

Trophies
XP
Country
Gaza Strip
Not everyone do not support 3rd party games on WiiU though. Some of my WiiU games are 3rd party.
Most third party games on the Wii U are shit, only some are actually good. Mostly from UbiSoft, EA, Bandai Namco and Warner Bros.

Platinum Games is under Nintendo so they don't count.

Essometer

Needs data
Trophies
Website
none.de
XP
Country
Germany
I'm not sold on the FMV concept, which in my opinion makes me feel like in idiot.
(More than only playing a plastic guitar in front of your TV)
The new layout on the other hand is fucking awesome.
Only problem is that I have to buy a new controller, which
will solely work with Guitar Hero Live.

loco365

Trophies
XP
I can barely master using 5 buttons.

I never had the console versions because I didn't have many newer TV consoles when I had the GH DS version, but when I tried playing 5-button, I failed miserably. This would probably make it easier as reaching up a distance is much easier than reaching to the side.

Adeka

Beta Tester
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Not looking forward to this

Used clearance bins are always full of guitar hero games without the guitar

Arras

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Eh. I like music games and all, but I dunno about this one. From what I can see in the trailer, it plays like 3 buttons, but having to move up/down occasionally. If they start really mixing the black and white notes in three lanes at once, charts will become near unreadable. Also, I really don't like the FMV thing, although that's just personal preference.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: butt