Hacking [Guide] Ubuntu on PS4 (1.76 Only)

nitr8

Trophies
Website
vermillion57.wixsite.com
XP
Country
Gambia, The
It’s good to see progress for running Linux on the PS4. But there is a problem for me: i can’t get Ubuntu to show anything on the screen (the screen is black). I can see that the drive where it is installed to, is definitely doing something (booting up). Is anyone here having similar issues?

Here is what i did to get it to work:

I've been able to boot it up by plugging the drive with the fresh Ubuntu install into a PC first and boot it up from there till i got to the login screen. But i didn't actually login. I just then shut it down and tried it once again on the console itself. And voila - it worked. I also got internet to work, using a crossover cable by connecting it to my notebook (which even has ubuntu installed) and changing the IPv4 setting for wired connection in the dropdown list ("automatically DHCP") to ("shared with other computers"). I don't know if this setting is the same spelled in english as i actually use Ubuntu in german language. This gave me internet for Ubuntu on the PS4 by plugging the cable into the notebook first and then into the PS4. What i really miss is a solution to having mouse AND keyboard available at the same time as i have a "Microsoft Wireless Keyboard 1000" with a Microsoft Wireless Optical Mouse 2000 which the ps4kerneltest doesn't recognize (it doesn't show any input in the console). Besides this it's Ubuntu which is running slow as it seems. I hope those two things will be solved in the near future.

Last edited by nitr8, , Reason: Possible Solution

dvo

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Hey there,
i would like to run linux on my ps4 fw 1.76 but i can't get i to work. i don't know what i'm doing wrong. let me explane it to you step by step.

1. formated a usb drive (ofc FAT32)
2. downloaded kernel & initramfs (http://kr105.com/ps4kerneltest/)
3. copied both to the root of the usb drive
4. inserted usb drive into ps4
5. accessed the ps4 playground (http://cturt.github.io/PS4-playground/) via webkit exploit
6. tried to run linux via clicking the "load"-button

Sometimes my ps4 just shutdown if i click load, in the other cases i got a "not enough system-memory"-error or i got the error shown by member "fokeiro" in this thread:
viewtopic.php?f=66&t=45710

I am pretty sure that's the same mistake like fokeiro had. I already asked him/her but he's/she's inactive since linux is working ^^

any idea what i am doing wrong? would be great if somebody could help me. I tried rebooting, reinstalling fw 1.76 via safe mode and everything else (hitting the refresh button, redownloading the required files, reformating usb drive, trying another usb drive) , without success
icon_e_sad.gif

d.v.o

Last edited by dvo,

CoyoteFey

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is the installation able to access all of the gpu and cpu so far? How much of the hardware is what I should be asking really. Sadly, my team isn't interested in blowing $400 currently for a "waste" of their time. In the case that it's able to access a large portion of everything, expect to see us fixing what string errors there will probably be with the emulators.

dvo

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
i am on fw 1.76 .. but unfortunately i cant get my console to run linux o.O and i dont know why .. i explaned it detailed a few posts above. would be great i you could help me.

d.v.o

InsaneNutter

Trophies
Website
digiex.net
XP
Country
Step 3: With the bootable partition name handy, type the following (assuming your bootable partition
is /dev/sdb1):

mount /dev/sdb1 newroot/
exec switch_root /newroot/ /newroot/sbin/init

If the switch_root fails, just do it again (up arrow key once)

I can get to this point no problem, however seem to always fail here when actually booting Ubuntu.

This is what happens the first time i try:

b01e49cf14.jpg

On the second attempt the cursor just keeps blinking at the bottom left of the screen:

b01e5846b9.jpg

I believe i'm doing as you have described, however have failed here multiple times sadly.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    HiradeGirl @ HiradeGirl: Have a nice day. Life. Week. Month. year.