Guide to install game as PSN-like Icon on XMB

Guide to install a PSN-like icon to launch game from XMB

Guide done with Castlevania Lords of Shadow as an example.

- PRE-REQUISITES -

• Any official or custom firmware from 1.90 to 3.55.
• A game already installed on your PS3 internal HDD using a Game Manager. (MultiMan, Gaia Manager, Rogero Manager, etc.).
• multiMAN 1.16.12 or newer, already installed on your PS3. (Guide written with v1.17.02) -> update for v2.00.04
• EBOOT_FIX.rar that you can find in some multiMAN archives. (Not always included, download older version if missing)
• A FAT32 USB device.
• Microsoft .net framework 3.5? or Visual basic libraries?

- PROCEDURE -
On PC

• Extract "multiMAN [EBOOT_FIX].rar" inside a folder, anywhere on your computer.

• Open this new folder and keep it open

• Put your Game folders on your computer or external drive.
If you dumped your Bluray game to internal, use a game manager to copy the game on the external HDD, or use an FTP server to transfer the game to your computer.
You can use FAT32 with split files too.

• Open your game in a new explorer window with to have "MultiMan [EBOOT_FIX]" folder and your game folder side by side.

• Drag and drop your game folder on eboot_fix.exe, a new command window will open to patch the game automatically.

You can either drag and drop one of these folders into eboot_fix.exe :
X:\GAMES\MY_GAME
or
X:\GAMES\MY_GAME\PS3_GAME
or
X:\GAMES\MY_GAME\PS3_GAME\USRDIR

• Wait until the Command window close by itself (1 to 5 minutes).

• You should now have 2 new folders in the "multiMAN [EBOOT_FIX]" folder :
- [BLUS30339] [NPDRM] Castlevania Lords of Shadow (HDD)
- [BLUS30339] [RETAIL] Castlevania Lords of Shadow

•Go into the NPDRM folder, ex. for Castlevania: "[BLUS30339] [NPDRM] Castlevania Lords of Shadow (HDD)".
There you will find :
- "[BLUS30339] Castlevania Lords of Shadow (HDD).txt" --> A step by step installation guide
- "[BLUS30339] Castlevania Lords of Shadow (HDD).pkg" --> The pkg to install on PS3 firmwares from 1.90 to 3.41
- "[BLUS30339] Castlevania Lords of Shadow (HDD)-FW_355.pkg" --> The pkg to install on PS3 firmware 3.55

• Copy the correct pkg file to the root of your FAT32 USB device.

On PS3

• Boot your PS3 in jailbreak mode, or use a Custom Firmware.

• Go to "Game Data Utility" at the top of the GAME column on XMB.

• Delete any related game data from the game that you want to create as PSN-like icon.

• Plug the FAT32 USB device into the console.

• Go to the "★ Install Package Files" menu under the GAME column on your XMB and select the .PKG file you created previously.

• Go back to XMB and launch multiMAN

• Put MultiMan in file manager mode (press SELECT+START, or L1/R1 to change mode up to the file manager mode).

• Browse to your installed game (the real one, used by your manager), put the cursor over PS3_GAME folder (Do not go inside),
then:
- If you are using multiMAN 1.xx.xx press R3
- If you are using multiMAN 2.xx.xx press O (Circle) and select "Shadow copy".
/dev_hdd0/gamez/[BLUS30339] Castlevania Lords of Shadow/PS3_GAME/

• It will ask if you want to create a shadow copy of the selected folder, answer yes.

This operation will create SHADOW copy of "Castlevania: Lords of Shadow™" to:
/dev_hdd0/G/U30339 and /dev_hdd0/game/BLUS30339/

• Exit multiMAN (top right icon in the file manager mode)

• Launch the game directly from "Castlevania: Lords of Shadow™ (HDD)" icon on the [GAME] column in XMB

• If prompted to update the game to newer version - cancel the update

F.A.Q.

Q. Why did you make a guide, it's already explained in MultiMan?
A. Some users still asked how to do it.
I had some questions not answered in the guide written by Dean, and I thought other users might have them too. I answer these questions as a FAQ.

Q. How does it's work?
A. Following this guide will create a new eboot.bin and a /dev_hdd0/game/GAMEID folder. This eboot.bin is a signed NPDRM (PSN-like icon) that you can launch directly from the XMB instead of using a Game Manager.
When launching this NPDRM boot file, it will read your game's file located on /dev_hdd0/G/Partial GAMEID/
on /dev_hdd0/G/Partial GAMEID/, there are SHADOW links to your actual backup game's files path.

PS : I looked on dev_hdd0 using ftp server and a file manager, all 3 folders have full games files size. I don't know if it really takes 3x more places or if it's links reporting original file's size.

Q. Why does it need 2 redirections?
A. To install a game as a PSN-like icon, we need to replace any references to the game path from /dev_bdvd/ to the actual place where is store your game's files.
Depending on the backup Manager you are using, it can be stored in many different places, and the folders can have any names you want, but the path size in eboot.bin must be kept short.
So, all the path references are redirected to this path on the internal hard drive: /dev_hdd0/G/partial GAMEID/

When you are patching the game's eboot.bin yourself using another program (ex. Auto Modifier), then you have to move all your game's file manually into the chosen "short named" folder.

With multiMAN SHADOW copy option, it creates a new eboot.bin in this folder, instead of the game's file, which rewrite in real time all /Partial GAMEID/ references to your actual game files path.
The advantage of multiMAN is that your real game files are kept at the same place all the time, so you can still launch the game using your game manager if you want to.

Q. Do I need a PSN account to use PSN-like game?
A. No PSN account needed. (Well, I never linked my PS3 to PSN, but I tried once when PSN can't be accessed with older firmware, so I have now a PSN icon on my XMB but I never synch).

Q. Why can't I update the game?
A. The update will replace the NPDRM eboot.bin with a retail eboot.bin.

Q. Then, how do I update my game?
A.

Q. Will my current saves and trophy will still be working with the PSN-like game?
A. Yes

Q. Are "Black Screen Games" working from internal HDD using this method?
A. Yes

Q. Does it work on OFW, or do I need to launch the console with a payload using a dongle ? (not concerned by cfw)
A. The game runs on a non jailbroken system as if the game was a retail PSN game. (= no dongle needed to play backups)

Q. Does it work only with internal games, or can I store my games on external HDD too?
A.

Q. How do I uninstall the PSN-like game?
A. Select the XMB game icon and press Triangle button. select "Delete" and accept. It will delete the XMB Icon and the installed game data.
It will keep : The save games, the trophies, and the shadow link information located on /dev_hdd0/G/xxxxxxxx/ (xxxxxxx is the folder name of your game base on the GameID).
If you want to delete it, use multiMAN file manager or the FTP server.

Q. Will it delete my game from the game Manager too, or only from the XMB?
A. Only from the XMB as you deleted it using the official XMB.

Q. Does it delete the SHADOW copy folder too (/dev_hdd0/G/xxxxxx/), or do I have to delete this folder manually with a FTP or file manager?
A. You have to delete that folder manually.

Q. When I use eboot_fix.exe, there are other folders. What are they used for?
A. Eboot_fix.exe creates 3 things:
NPDRM (PSN-like icon)
1- Creates a pkg to install on your PS3. Then on MultiMan you have to make a SHADOW link of the game to point the real game data.
2- Creates 2 eboot.bin in the DATA folder. MODIF eboot.bin is a decrypted+resigned version (For backup manager), and a NPDRM eboot.bin for PSN-like version (used for /dev_hdd0/game/GAMEID/ folder).
RETAIL (not PSN-like)
3- Creates a new decrypted and re-signed eboot.bin/trophy/license folder structure to run the game on a lower firmware than the required firmware. (For backup manager)
The created eboot.bin is the same as the "MODIF eboot.bin" from the previous line, but this folder includes all the decrypted and resigned files needed for the game, like license and trophy.

Created files 2 and 3 are only for advanced users, they are used to replace the files manually with ftp or file manager. You should focus only on the created pkg if you want a PSN-like game icon on your XMB.

Q. What is eboot_mod.exe used for?
A. eboot_mod.exe is the same thing as the "MODIF eboot.bin" from the previous question. It's used to decrypt and resign the new game's eboot.bin to launch the game on older firmware.
Drag and drop an EBOOT.BIN file on it, and it will create a MODIFIED_EBOOT.BIN
Rename and replace the EBOOT.BIN using an ftp server or a file manager into your backup game folder.

PS :
Let me know what you think about it, or if there's any error (I'm still trying to understand how the links are working).
I'm still testing few things, I'll complete the faq later, after deleting the PSN-like game icon from XMB.

Updates:
2011 06 13: updated the Shadow copy command to use the context menu instead of R3 for multiMAN v2.00.01+
2012 01 13: Added info about deleting a game.

wootwo

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks for this great guide in addition to yours others, Cyan. I jumped from your multiman guide to this one because I had questions about the R3 shadow copy procedure. I've gotten through all the processes with ebootfix and installing the appropriate pkg file, but when I'm in file manager, R3 doesn't seem to do anything. Do I need to have a certain conditions fulfilled before it'll do this? Was this removed in multiman by chance? Thanks for any help!

edit: disregard! I see in the .txt produced by ebootFIX itself that R3 is only for older versions of multiman, whereas pressing circle (O) is what is used now.

I see also that the info regarding updating games after doing this incomplete, but I was curious if that was simply something you haven't been able to fill in yet or if there's just no answer yet. Could I update the games on my USB drive -> return it to my PC, run ebootFIX again and then install it onto the PS3 HDD and perform the steps to make a PSN Icon?

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
I will update this guide to reflect the latest multiMAN context menu in file manager, thanks for pointing that out.

About the missing parts, it's because I didn't try it yet (so I don't know the answers, and I prefer trying it myself to write the guide).
I still have to try updating and deleting.

I will add more informations too (like the type of files which are linked and the one copied. not everything are hard links).

Caide

Trophies
XP
Country
I tried this with Call of Duty Black Ops but it says "The Game Data is Corrupted", is there any way of fixing this?

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
I don't know the compatibility with ebootfix for this game (I don't have it, and the fix is not listed in the compatibility list)

I thought this game needed the game data installed in external HDD, but it's not stated on the list, maybe I'm wrong.
If it needs the game data on external, then you can launch it only from a compatible backup manager (like multiMAN with "Ext game data" option) and not from xmb.

Caide

Trophies
XP
Country
The problem is my laser is dead so I can't just use Multiman, I attempted to fix it by doing this: http://psgroove.com/showthread.php?759-How...g-game-from-xmb but now the game doesn't ask to install data and when I try launch multiplayer it freezes with a black screen
frown.gif

stucky

Trophies
XP
Country
i tried this with two games wrc1 nd sbk 2011 i followed all the steps an they worked.. i deleted the game data...installed the .pkg the went mde shadow copy of the said game....an when went bck to launch from xmb icon is says" game data is corrupt the game will now end.please quit the game?? for both games :nayps3:

am i doin sumtin wrong or isit only some games this works wit.... cos i do believe it should work..and by way awesome program lads plz keep up your great work...jus hope i can get it working for me :lol:

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
It works only with some games.

You can check the list here, it's the ebootfix column.

About the program, it's just Dean who coded it.
I did only the guide. (with still unfinished FAQ, I didn't play PS3 since I wrote the guide, so I still didn't try to delete/update etc.)

J.Rawand

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
mr.Cyan I did all the steps but when I browse the game in multiman and hit '' circle '' button, the only available choice for me is '' Shadow for PNG game '', in another word, there is no '' shadow copy '' button, what's the matter ,please ? thank you so much.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
I replied to your PM with the same question, but I'll post it here so it can help other users too.

Hi,

I made the tutorial for older version of multiMAN, and I updated it once to match the changes Dean made to the manager.

Maybe You are not using the same Manager version for which I wrote the guide.

multiMAN creates a guide too, so you should read the one it created for you, it will always match the same version you are using.

When you drop the game folder on eboot_fix, it creates new folders and a text file.
This text file is a guide, you need to follow it step by step.

(I based my guide on this auto-generated guide from eboot_fix).
I hope it will help you.

Tell me if you are using the latest version of multiMAN and if my guide is outdated, I will update it for other users.

Cyan

mclow

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
hey guys... i just updated to 4.3 everything is working bur im already looking the whole day for a solution to get games show up in the xmb... it dont matter if the boot from apps oder disc.... i just dont want go into multiman everytime... i tried ur tut but i think its not more possible with 4.3...

so i searched the whole web for a solution....

i found a couple usefule progrs...

trueancetor pkg creator

and

trueancestor eboot resigner....

first i used eboot resigner too resign my original ebot to boot with disc from hdd....
after that i got a .elf file.... in the same programm i decypted the modified .elf back to .bin!

so now i got a folder on my desktop with all files set up to create a pkg file!!!!

but i cant get it.... if im using pkg creater theres always a package.conf parse error!!!

i looked around but i cant find any other pkg creatro....

is there a solution for this one!?

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
The tools I used in this guide are included in multiMAN packages.
multiMAN is working on 4.x cfw, and I think that they should work too.

The way to create a package which will install an icon on the XMB is thanks to "make_npdrm" tool.
If you are using another tool (GUI?), you should search for a way to create npdrm packages.

I think the resigner is only used to sign the eboot.bin for your current firmware.
The pkg creator is the one which need to have an option for making xmb icons.

I'm sorry, I didn't update past 3.55 yet, and never used recent tools. I don't know their options.
Search if there are updates for eboot_fix program from Dean by searching on multiMAN releasing forum. (ps3hax.net)

mclow

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
ok thx... the problem is i already have the eboot moded but i cant create a pkg file!!! im using true ancestor pkg creator.... but theres always this error... package.conf parse error... i cant figure it out... i tried loading the pathces i need but it says change ebot\param.... and i dont know what this means exactly...

im using 4.30 theres no point to to be signed to a special firmware every version is working...3.55 is also working without patching... i just need to get that pkg file created...

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
a pkg is only like a zip file, with path information for each of the files inside the package.
did you try copying the files manually on your PS3 instead of using the package installer?

You need to use TrueAncestor option 3 (Ressign to NPDRM eboot)
but you first need to extract and modify the game path, I think this program is not doing it automatically.

To create a XMB icon, you need to edit the eboot.bin and sysconf to redirect the game path (dev_bdvd) to the place where your game is located (dev_hdd0 or dev_usb0 etc.)
Usually the game is placed internally for convenience (the patcher always replace bdvd by hdd0).

There are different tools to do it (manually with hex editor + Command line tools, semi-automatic where you choose the path yourself, or automatic with eboot_fix).
If you are using a semi-automatic tools, it should let you decide where you will redirect the game path.
If the resigner doesn't ask you the path for the shadow copy, it means it can't create "XMB icons" to launch PS3 games.

To create XMB icons, the icon needs to redirect all files to their right location
XMB -> icon pointing to dev_hdd0/G/gameID/ (called a shadow copy) -> inside, the files are only shortcut to the real game location.
But in the shadow copy folder, you need to have a lot of files, to redirect each of them one by one. You can't only package the eboot.bin alone.
You need the full game folder to create an icon on XMB.

If you want to use eboot_fix, you need the keys to decrypt/re-encript for 4.xx
That's probably why it's not working for you.

Reactions: mclow

mclow

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
ok now i got a elf file what should i do with it?

when im replacing the files manually?! uhm where should i replace them? in game data? and whats with the updates then?

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
You don't replace the files, you replace the content inside the files. (you need to decide where you will place your games and where you will place your shadow copy of the game, then you need to give the path and edit the device).
I think you are not understanding what you need to do, and I'm not sure the tool you are using will do it.

Game updates will not work, it's already explained in the guide at the top of this page.
Updates will overwrite your changes and delete the npdrm (xmb icon) eboot.bin.

You told "the tutorial is not working" but you didn't explained what you did so far, and where it's not working.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
This program is again "only" a packager.
it unpack/repack the pkg.

It doesn't let you modify the device path inside the eboot.bin.
You need tools such as:
eboot_fix
ELF AutoModifier, (old)
Auto Mod tool, (new name of AutoModifier)

Other tools let you package the files to NPDRM, but you need to edit the files manually FIRST with a hexEditor.
Force Package NPDRM (maybe)
CMPAutoTools (maybe)
NPDRM GUI Tool (Maybe)
scetool
etc.

You should learn more how "Auto Mod tool" is working, and what it does, and why.
Eboot_fix is an automated version of Auto Mod Tool.

Edit:
You still haven't told me what didn't work in the guide.
Did you follow my guide?
Up to which point?
What the problem?
Which error?
etc.?

I googled "Eboot_fix" and found one for games up to 4.25 in the first page.
Did you at least try searching on google?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    ButterScott101 @ ButterScott101: +1