Gaming Guide to getting KH: BBS to work.

BasedKiliK

Salt of the Earth~
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
dvj5fm.jpg

Patch updated to 0.5 beta

Mods. If I'm hosting any illegal files, please let me know.

This is a guide made in hopes of simplifying and helping people understand the process of getting this awesome game to work.

Standby/sleep mode and Online mode in the Mirage Arena are now fixed.

It is recommended that you are on version 5.03 GEN-C or 5.50 GEN-D3. 5.00 M33 is "confirmed" to work, but can have some serious issues.

Programs and files needed: UMDGen v4.00, dnas_decrypter, release05.rar, PRXDecrypter

2 GB free are recommended on your memorystick. Update: With the release of the 0.3 patch, about 600 MB have been freed, allowing users with 2 GB sticks to play the game.
happy.gif

Step 1

First, you will need to extract the contents of the ISO into a "NoLabel" folder using UMDGen and copy BBS1, 2, and 3 from the "PSP_GAME\USRDIR\" directory, onto root of your memorystick. Then you need to extract dnas_decrypter into the GAME directory of your PSP and run it. It will be on a blackscreen, but it's busy decrypting the files. You MUST have enough space; if not it will exit and you will have incomplete files.

After the process, you should have BBS1_DEC.DAT, BBS2_DEC.DAT, AND BBS3_DEC.DAT on the root of your stick. Now, rename them to the originals respectively (BBS1.DAT, BBS2.DAT, BBS3.DAT), and replace the ones that are in "PSP_GAME\USRDIR\" of the "NoLabel". You can delete them off of your stick if they are still there.

Step 2

Here's where it can get confusing, and where most people seem to have a problem. Inside "NoLabel", go to "PSP_GAME\SYSDIR\ and copy the EBOOT.BIN into an "enc" folder on the root of your memorystick. Then copy the PRXDecrypter program into GAME, and run it. Using it, you should decrypt all detected files. Once that's done, copy the EBOOT.BIN once more and open it up with WinHex or within another hex editor, and change these values at their offsets:

00322629: 79 -> 4F
00322705: 79 -> 5A

Save it and replace the one in "NoLabel".

Now copy it back into the "PSP_GAME\SYSDIR\" folder of "NoLabel", then recreate the ISO by starting a New Compilation within UMDGen and dragging the PSP_GAME folder and UMD_DATA.BIN into it, then saving. After it's finished, copy it into your memory stick.

Note: Exporting and importing the file list is not necessary, as there are no LBA checks within the game.

Step 3.

DELETE THE PLUGINS FROM THE PREVIOUS RELEASE

Finally, open up release3.rar and drag the KHBBS and seplugins folder onto the root of your memorystick. If you already have a game.txt, ONLY ADD "ms0:/KHBBS/KHBBS_patch.prx 1" into your game.txt. Don't add the other two, but keep them in KHBBS. Lastly, reboot your PSP and start the game.

In order for the game to save, it needs to detect an already created system savefile. I've uploaded mine for use.

Known issues: The system save is not able to be created in most cases, and the savegame menu suffers from the X/O swap when a JPN game is played on a US PSP; pressing the HOME/PS button will fix this issue.

Happy playing!

Credits for the patch go to the chinese hacker, known as hrimfaxi on maxconsole. Thanks for the awesome work you've done.

Reactions: 2 people

Teny

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes, you need 3 files from the ISO to be on the root of your mem card (~500MB), and then you need the uncompressed ISO (~1.58GB). So in total, that's over 2GB.

Zeroneo

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
But if you don't have a Mem. Card that's bigger than 2gb you can do what I did:

Rename BBS1_dec.dat, BBS2_dec.dat and BBS3_dec.dat to BBS1.dat, BBS2.dat and BBS3.dat respectively and replace with the ones in the iso file. Then put the _dec.dat files on your memory stick root like always and the plugins too.

It should work fine except the fact that you can't enter Sleep Mode.

Mikehoncho16

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I keep getting error code 800200D9, could someone plz help? Im currently backing up my memorystick to the computer so I can format the memorystick

D

Deleted User

lol, I saw this guide last night in its infancy with only 2 posts. It's amazing what can happen overnight. Anyway, I think this is a great guide, I only wish there was some explanation of what the guy did so that everyone could appreciate his efforts.

glio

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
It works which is awesome... THANKYOU TO MAKING A NOOB GUIDE! And thanks to awesome Chinese dude even though he won't read this.
However, you can not make a Data Install similar to making a system save file. Does it run file without one because it's an iso already?

Gogetagt

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Patch 0.3 is out but the process is different ... i report the translation here :

Open UMDGen and open ISO files, first select File-> File List-> Export, save the file list is BBS.txt.
Into PSP_GAME \ USRDIR, the BBS1/2/3.DAT Remove All, and then add just declassified BBS1/2/3_DEC.DAT. Add a complete, will BBS1/2/3_DEC.DAT renamed BBS1/2/3.DAT.

So know those file must be inside the iso now ?

BasedKiliK

Salt of the Earth~
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Gogetagt said:
Patch 0.3 is out but the process is different ... i report the translation here :

Open UMDGen and open ISO files, first select File-> File List-> Export, save the file list is BBS.txt.
Into PSP_GAME \ USRDIR, the BBS1/2/3.DAT Remove All, and then add just declassified BBS1/2/3_DEC.DAT. Add a complete, will BBS1/2/3_DEC.DAT renamed BBS1/2/3.DAT.

So know those file must be inside the iso now ?
Looks like it. Thanks for reporting this. I'll update my guide as soon as I get a chance.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: lol, Okies. Family graveyard is that way 👉