Guide to: Converting PS1 games for PSP

Discussion in 'PSP - Hacking & Homebrew' started by Jamstruth, Jan 28, 2010.

Jan 28, 2010

Jamstruth Secondary Feline Anthropomorph

Message Count:
    United Kingdom
    Thanks to Sony kindly giving us a very good Playstation Emulator for PSP and DarkAlex hacking it to run any PS1 ISO converted to an eboot we now have the lovely ability to run old PSX games on our PSP.

Note: This will only work if you have Custom Firmware installed on your PSP, see the 2 modding stickies for instructions on how to install this

Step 1. Get your PS1 ISO

This is one of the simplest steps, just pop your disk in your CD drive, open up your selected ripping software and rip to either ISO or Bin/CCD format.
    The ripping software I personally use is Alcohol 52% which has a Playstation template for its ripping so it will read and dump all data. It is free and you can download it Here

Step 2. Get PSX2PSP v1.42 (latest version as of writing)

Download PSX2PSP here: PSX2PSP v 1.4.2 (3rd option down, no hotlinking allowed) UPDATE: Link updated to Filetrip download

Download the file and extract to your chosen directory. Now open the folder and double click on “Theme Mode” as this is the nicest looking and simplest GUI to use.

Step. 3 Prepare your file for conversion

Click on “Convert Menu” in the bottom right of the Window, this should bring up a menu like this
    [IMG]
    Now click on the “...” beside the “ISO/PBP File 1 – No File Selected” dropdown menu and navigate to where you placed your ISO/BIN file, select it and return
    N.B. If you have a premade eboot with images you don't like you can open it in this step and edit the images just the same. Same goes for other compaitibility issue fixes. You can also click the "Extract ISO" button to remove the ISO from the eboot and play the game in your favourite PC emulators

WARNING! Spoilers inside!

Now make sure that the GameID shown is correct for your ISO, this ID should be displayed on the original PS1 disk or at the foot of the box's end label. You may also wish to change this for compatibility reasons. (Check Here to check whether your game has any compatibility issues
    WARNING! Spoilers inside!

Now we're ready to make the eboot look a bit better, close the “Convert Menu” by clicking the button in the bottom right again and now click “Customise PBP” which should bring up a menu like this.
    [IMG]
    Using this menu we can customise what the eboot will look like on the PSP, you may make these yourself or download from the internet. Personally I use this site as it has background images and icons for many popular PS1 games but the list is not extensive and you may have to search around for your own.
    [IMG]
    Note: PSX2PSP's Icon size is defaulted to the 80x80 PS1 box art size, if you have an icon that is not boxart size you will have to go into Options and change the Icon0 to “Default”

Step 4. Converting your eboot

This step's pretty easy as well, now we've customised the eboot we can convert and save it for use in our PSP.
    [IMG]
    Close the “Customize PBP” menu and open the “Convert Menu” again now click on the button beside “Output PBP” and navigate to where you wish to place your Eboot, do not worry about creating a subfolder for each game as PSX2PSP will automatically create one. Once this is doen simply click “Convert” and wait. Once finished just navigate to where you placed the Eboot, plug in your PSP and copy the folder containing the Eboot to ms0:/PSP/Game on your PSP's memory stick.

As a russian meerkat once said...
    SIMPLES!!

Leo Cantus So zeta slow!

Message Count:
    United Kingdom
    Fantastic guide, its nice and simple. I'll be using this when I get my PSP back from my brother

Toader New Member

Message Count:
    United States
    nice thread thanks!!!

Message Count:
    United Kingdom
    *Snip* Answer to question which has been removed

Thanks, its nice to know I did a good job

cman1783 New Member

Message Count:
    United States
    Very nice guide my friend! Much easier than the old way I used to do it. THIS is the site I used to get the images from but it's down temporarily.

Edit - Wish I had my PSP now. My sister and I traded PSP for Wii temporarily.
    • Banned

prowler Banned!

Message Count:
    United Kingdom
    That site has gone forever, no luck on it coming back.

Also awesome guide, better then mine [IMG]

Fat Cow New Member

Message Count:
    United States
    just feel need to add something about game icon size, as this bothered me for a long time.

on some cfw version (mine is 5.00), if the game icon is not 80x80 then the game's _save_ icon will be replaced with m33's internal dracula icon, this was done in m33 to prevent a bug iirc.

Splych GBAtemp's Lurker

Message Count:
    Philippines
    Sticky? This seems really useful when you convert your PS1 Games =]

Skyline969 MENUdo Afficionado

Message Count:
    Canada
    Personally, I don't like Popstation GUI simply because it only supports ISO files (unless more compatibility was added in a later version) and most of my dumps are CUEs, etc. I use Simple Popstation GUI 2 beta. It's got support for ISO, IMG, CUE, BIN, and PBP files. You can add all your images, preview the EBOOT, etc. And it has an interesting button. [IMG]
    Also, I use this for my gameboot images while popsdb is down. Just some useful information for you guys [IMG]
    • Former Staff

Lily One Scary Lady

Message Count:
    Canada
    I'm going to sticky this for now since due to all the useful information. [IMG]

Okami Wolfen New Member

Message Count:
    United States
    PSX2PSP converted my Final fantasy VII bins to isos just fine.

Message Count:
    Canada
    It definitely didn't like my Chrono Trigger CUE. [IMG]

Message Count:
    United Kingdom
    DOn't think it takes CUE files but BINs and ISOs work perfectly

Also: YAY STICKY!! I have been immortalised in the PSP section [IMG]
    • Global Moderator

ProtoKun7 GBAtemp Time Lord Regenerations: 2

Message Count:
    United Kingdom
    lol, join the club [IMG]
    • Supervisor

tj_cool Stuff

Message Count:
    Belgium
    Just be sure to update them, cause else we'll have the same problem again [IMG]
    • Global Moderator

Message Count:
    United Kingdom
    I'm working on mine now; replaced links to the downloads from FileTrip and currently adding images of the modifications needed for the batteries.

Message Count:
    United Kingdom
    Might upload PSX2PSP to filetrip so I have a decent link to it thanks for the idea Protokun that link I have to PSPslimhacks isn't that great
    • Global Moderator

Message Count:
    United Kingdom
    I was going to upload the necessary files before I realised they were already there anyway. [IMG]

` regret . New Member

Message Count:
    Canada
    To run these you need a PSX emulator right? Or just run the eboot thing. :x

Message Count:
    Canada
    You need a modified PSP to play these, once converted to EBOOTs.