Tutorial TN and IPS Displays - Which does my 3DS have?

Which model do you have?

• 2DS + TN

Votes: 33 3.5%
  • 2DS + IPS

Votes: 6 0.6%
  • O3DS + TN

Votes: 92 9.6%
  • O3DS + IPS

Votes: 18 1.9%
  • O3DSXL + TN

Votes: 67 7.0%
  • O3DSXL + IPS

Votes: 17 1.8%
  • N3DS + TN

Votes: 106 11.1%
  • N3DS + IPS

Votes: 22 2.3%
  • N3DSXL + TN

Votes: 144 15.1%
  • N3DSXL + IPS

Votes: 270 28.2%
  • 2DS + Dual IPS

• O3DS + Dual IPS

• O3DS XL + Dual IPS

• N3DS + Dual IPS

Votes: 31 3.2%
  • N3DSXL + Dual IPS

Votes: 150 15.7%
  • N2DSXL + TN

Votes: 40 4.2%
  • N2DSXL + IPS

Votes: 8 0.8%

• Total voters

Mikemk

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
REDACTED

EDIT: I looked it up, and you're right, sorry. It still looks like the screens aren't lined up, but I guess they are.

Last edited by Mikemk,

doomsdayzzz

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
so i called nintendo and asked why they have 2 different screens and then they answered me like im a nut job conspiracy theorist. which pisses me off because i feel like trump calling out hillaries crimes and nintendo is cnn calling me a liar.

btw can anyone vouch for the packaging theory where if the system comes packages where you have to slide out the system its an ips screen.

Last edited by doomsdayzzz,

CatmanFan

Anxious and regretful
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
Morocco
My N3DS XL has TN but it doesn't matter for me :P

Also:
im looking to buy a new 3ds xl black from jet.com. what are the chances of getting a dual ips display at this point in time?
From what I can tell it's a 1 in 4 chance of having dual IPS, from either IPS top TN bottom, TN top IPS bottom, dual TN, or dual IPS.

Last edited by CatmanFan,

Clydefrosch

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
note that it isn't half as bad if you have an ips and tn system lying infront of you, as it looks on the videos and pictures on the net.

ManuelKoegler

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Just found out my Hyrule Edition N3DS XL has Dual TN, f*ck my life *first world problems*.
Just wondering, is it possible to replace the screens akin to how one would with repairs, for IPS ones?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Halvorsen

Trophies
Website
halcove.com
XP
Country
United States
Just found out my Hyrule Edition N3DS XL has Dual TN, f*ck my life *first world problems*.
Just wondering, is it possible to replace the screens akin to how one would with repairs, for IPS ones?

)

Yes, I'm selling an IPS top screen for 65 dollars.

(normal top screens usually cost 55 dollars on eBay)

Reactions: ManuelKoegler

ManuelKoegler

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
)

Yes, I'm selling an IPS top screen for 65 dollars.

(normal top screens usually cost 55 dollars on eBay)
Ah thank you, that's nice to know, mostly asked out of curiosity, since I don't do repairs, hardmods and all that, just figured I'd ask in case a screen were to break somehow.

ikral

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
Recently I bought 3DS console brand new but original model. It surprised me how bad contrast its display has. So, after some time I bought another one, this one is used but in very good condition and it was cheap (that's why I bought it). Anyway, this one has better screen, much better black and definition of colors is way better, so much that I play only that one. My conclusion is that it must be IPS display. Here.
eOMS10B.jpg

Last edited by ikral,

Cava

Trophies
XP
Country
Hungary
Recently I bought 3DS console brand new but original model. It surprised me how bad contrast its display has. So, after some time I bought another one, this one is used but in very good condition and it was cheap (that's why I bought it). Anyway, this one has better screen, much better black and definition of colors is way better, so much that I play only that one. My conclusion is that it must be IPS display. Here.
OJ3A0xr.jpg
Well i can't see any differences between them.

ikral

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
@Cava
How about now? Changed the photo. Difference to me is more than obvious, even if it is not an IPS display it is much better. Im thinking about selling a new one and keeping this one.

Mikemk

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
eOMS10B.jpg
The top screen in the back is IPS, the other three I think are TN.

Cava

Trophies
XP
Country
Hungary
eOMS10B.jpg
Try in low light or in more wide angle but yes maybe the green one at the back has a different top screen.

ikral

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
It certainly does have, only question is is it IPS or just another manufacturer/type of display. Anyhow, it doesn't matter, I'll enjoy it whatever it is. Thinking about modding it, so I have one with CFW and another with OFW.

D

Deleted-379826

Dang thanks! This was so handy, just figured out my fire emblem fates special edition N3DS XL is a dual IPS! Always thought it was TN for some strange reason!

Reactions: NekoMichi

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Maximumbeans @ Maximumbeans:
    I can't believe you got me with that
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    I haven't been gaming for such a long time. Been mostly busy with sleep, hardware tinkering and checking GBAtemp frequently.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Hope you've had a good morning.
    It's going alright thanks :) I know what you mean with gaming time. It's precious where I can get it these days.
    +1
    I think that's why I focus on just enjoying single player experiences that aren't too competitive
    How are you doing?
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    There's also this thing where I'm hyperfocused at night and cannot get to sleep.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, I'm doing alright, thanks.
    +1
    That must be rough. Productive I'm sure but hard to balance with daily life
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, Indeed. I've been working on getting this Infecutus chip to work on my PS2. But after soldering, I realised that a plastic piece was missing from the power ribbon cable to the power and eject buttons.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Now I could go with soldering the contacts from the cable to the connector on the mobo, but doesn't sound like a good permanent solution.
    Man, that's beyond my brain :rofl: I'm no good with hardware for now. I'd like to get into hardmods in future though
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, Maybe start practice soldering. Get a cheap-ass soldering iron and follow some good YouTube tutorials.
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Least my experience has gotten better than over a decade ago. My iron would constantly bump into components and break them.
    Sounds good. I actually did soldering but like 16 years ago for school so uuuuh probably rusty haha
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, Same here. I did soldering at school from a teacher who I honestly liked since he had plenty of good electronics experience.
    +1
    I wish I could play chess well
    +1
    Useless but a true art
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, I had a friend who had a glass chess set for their birthday.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    It was like all clear and fancy. Tbf I'm not too experienced with chess, but would like to learn someday.
    That sounds really cool
    I know the basics but no strategy at all :rofl:
    Maximumbeans @ Maximumbeans: I know the basics but no strategy at all :rofl: