Tutorial TN and IPS Displays - Which does my 3DS have?

Which model do you have?

• 2DS + TN

Votes: 33 3.5%
  • 2DS + IPS

Votes: 6 0.6%
  • O3DS + TN

Votes: 92 9.6%
  • O3DS + IPS

Votes: 18 1.9%
  • O3DSXL + TN

Votes: 67 7.0%
  • O3DSXL + IPS

Votes: 17 1.8%
  • N3DS + TN

Votes: 106 11.1%
  • N3DS + IPS

Votes: 22 2.3%
  • N3DSXL + TN

Votes: 144 15.1%
  • N3DSXL + IPS

Votes: 270 28.2%
  • 2DS + Dual IPS

• O3DS + Dual IPS

• O3DS XL + Dual IPS

• N3DS + Dual IPS

Votes: 31 3.2%
  • N3DSXL + Dual IPS

Votes: 150 15.7%
  • N2DSXL + TN

Votes: 40 4.2%
  • N2DSXL + IPS

Votes: 8 0.8%

• Total voters

NekoMichi

Retro Collector
OP
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
The problem is, this picture is from an internet seller. There is another picture there.

View attachment 44400

View attachment 44401

View attachment 44402

And some pictures of the device when it's off.
The colour saturation of the screens make me inclined to say they're IPS, but there's no definitive way to tell for sure without properly examining it. Either way, the difference between TN and IPS should be minimal when viewing the screen at normal angles during gameplay.

Baoulettes

The lonely man
Trophies
Website
www.baoulettes.fr
XP
Country
France
it seem I got IPS on both screen? (attached pictures)
And well even if it isn't that my little one ahah
I got it since a bit before release day in france ^^

(it look a bit white on pictures but truly out of camera it look brillant colours, and not lose of colours in any angles)

PS: that little "black" thing on Home button is there to prevent upper screen to touch the lower. a little trick that actually work perfectly as I have no lines at all on upper screen and nah that not a "solid" material more like soft sponge

Attachments

• IMG_1413.JPG
    IMG_1413.JPG
    110 KB · Views: 1,112
  • IMG_1414.JPG
    IMG_1414.JPG
    108.1 KB · Views: 1,112
Last edited by Baoulettes,

anonynom

Punchyleaf
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That doesn't look IPS at all. Seeing how it looks in pictures is a pretty good way of seeing whether it's IPS or TN since even potato quality photos won't whitewash.

NekoMichi

Retro Collector
OP
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
Sometimes cameras will increase/reduce colour saturation of the image, which can lead to misleading pictures of the 3DS screens. Sadly that means the only definitive way would be to examine the device physically.

wormdood

pirate booty inspector
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sometimes cameras will increase/reduce colour saturation of the image, which can lead to misleading pictures of the 3DS screens. Sadly that means the only definitive way would be to examine the device physically.
so true
i had no idea why i loved my hyrule n3dsxl until i read this thread and took a good look at the screens .at this point i got confused and got all my 3ds's out and noticed my ambassador og3ds and my o3dsxl are both fitted with tn screens while the n3dsxl was so . . . vivid next to the others (at any angle) dual ips

Reactions: NekoMichi
D

Deleted User

I compared the screens of both old and new 3ds xl's and I can definitely say that I have one 3ds with tn screen and second with ips screen. I included a photo. Both 3dses on the same brightness.

Attachments

• 2016-04-08 14.13.11.jpg
    2016-04-08 14.13.11.jpg
    295.6 KB · Views: 1,036
  • 2016-04-08 14.16.47.jpg
    2016-04-08 14.16.47.jpg
    340.2 KB · Views: 1,072

anonynom

Punchyleaf
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Depending on the environmental lighting, most digital cameras will automatically adjust the colour, which can sometimes interfere with experiments like this.
I've tried it in multiple lighting settings and my IPS screens look fine :/ I don't even think the standard original 3ds even had IPS screens in the first place though?

anonynom

Punchyleaf
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've never seen an IPS O3DS either.
Then it may be safe to say that OP's standard 3ds in the photos they gave are more than likely TN. I even took a super horrible potato quality tablet picture of my IPS and while grainy and really ugly, you could still see the IPS difference to TN

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    32.4 KB · Views: 749
Reactions: NekoMichi

DjoeN

Captain Haddock!
Trophies
Website
djoen.dommel.be
XP
Country
Belgium
My N3DS Ambasador Edition (came with FW 9.0) has a TN screen
My N3DSXL uses an IPS screen (bought on FW 9.4, when this was not so common (9.2 was more common))
My N3DSXL Animal Crossing Happy Home Designer Edition (came with FW 9.9), has a TN screen

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

I compared the screens of both old and new 3ds xl's and I can definitely say that I have one 3ds with tn screen and second with ips screen. I included a photo. Both 3dses on the same brightness.
I have multiple O3DSXL systems and i have to agree, i have 1 O3DSXL that has a different screen as the others, it's output is more darker, more true to it's color, then the others that look like the color has been washed out a bit? It looks more like the ips screen on my N3DSXL

Last edited by DjoeN,

leonmagnus99

Trophies
XP
Country
Iraq
alrighties, i wanted to confirm it and well i placed both my ogXL and my n3dsXL next to each other, both on highest brightness level 5.

the thing i noticed was my bottom screens of both looked nearly identical, but the top ones not .

the top one of my n3ds has more color contrast in it, and i did the edge test, when i move the console and look at the Top screen from different Angles on my n3ds the color and picture remained the same,

but my ogXL the edges from different angles turned white'ish? like the color faded, etc.

so is my n3ds top screen ips but its bottom screen tn? (cause my n3ds bottom screen does change from viewing in different angles, like turns whiteish just like the both screens of my ogXL).

but the top screen of my n3ds does not change at all, no matter from what angles i look at it, the color and picture remains the same.

astrangeone

Trophies
Website
www.shophandmade.com
XP
Country
Canada
Two O3DSes: both TN's - didn't expect them to be equipped with the newer IPS type screen.
Mario/Luigi Dream Team O3DS XL: has an IPS screen - unfortunately, the system has been dropped, the a cosmetic scratch on the edge of the console developed.
Red 2DS: a TN

Best way to is highlight the notifications icon and see if it happens to change colour.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pnRVIC7kS4s