Hacking [Guide] Replace Zelda SS Textures and Models

Hielkenator

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
When it's in the distance, I agree it's an artistic choice and it's fine.
But it's sometime also applied on nearest objects.

That's why I think they are using this artistic renderer to mask the fact the textures are not very detailed.
Sometime the textures are even made of mosaics, like the grass.

Maybe the auto-downscale is used to create this mosaic effect.
Did you try replacing with an image size multiple of the current one?

Everything in front of link and in the distance is processed.
Keeps the focus on the personage.

Matter of taste but in my opinion it looks like crap.
Very undetailed.
I'd take WindWaker anytime instead of this. But it's still a great game.

fiveighteen

Distractible Dabbler
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've sent Chadderz (the author of the SZS Modifier and CTools) an email about why we can't even export as .obj and then reimport it correctly. Hopefully he will get us a fix and make the whole process simple.

Rwanlink: I'm not sure where Demise is, sorry. Just didn't want you to feel like you went unnoticed.

meohsix

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Thanks for the guide SummerSett
i got bored with links green tunic and changed it to a nice shade of blue.
eHtSz.jpg

sorry for the crappy pic, but you get the idea.
im thinking of changing his hair to black also. :)

EDIT: slightly better pic with black hair.
xVEA1.png

the white dot is the glare from the camera/tv

Lucif3r

Trophies
XP
Country
I've sent Chadderz (the author of the SZS Modifier and CTools) an email about why we can't even export as .obj and then reimport it correctly. Hopefully he will get us a fix and make the whole process simple.

Ah nice. Would be lovely if he could fix it :)

rwanlink: I dont know either where the files are, but I suspect they are in some of the ./Stage/ files.

Rwanlink

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France

Ah nice. Would be lovely if he could fix it :)

rwanlink: I dont know either where the files are, but I suspect they are in some of the ./Stage/ files.

Yes i think too. I think we should work all together. That is to say that someone should work with the part B , one other with the part D, one other with the part F, and one other for the part S, no ? We could have more informations and more rapidly. What do you think guys ?

fiveighteen

Distractible Dabbler
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes i think too. I think we should work all together. That is to say that someone should work with the part B , one other with the part D, one other with the part F, and one other for the part S, no ? We could have more informations and more rapidly. What do you think guys ?
What do you mean by "part B, D, F, S" ?

EDIT: The email to Chadderz came back as unable to send. I messaged him here at GBATemp, but he's been inactive since August. If anyone knows any way to get a hold of him, or another place he's active, please let me know.

Lucif3r

Trophies
XP
Country
EDIT: The email to Chadderz came back as unable to send. I messaged him here at GBATemp, but he's been inactive since August. If anyone knows any way to get a hold of him, or another place he's active, please let me know.

Awwwwww *sad panda*

@rwanlink, Im not really doing this for the community (sorry) and have no intension of 'working at a specific area'. I do this because I think its fun and make it to my own taste. If others like it I might release it when Im happy about it.
But I easily get bored, like at the moment. I havnt touched the files since my last update (skyrim has finally got me hooked lol). But Im sure once theres a known method of replacing models, others will be happy to join in :)

chaotix000

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Why does the SZS modifier take a shit all over the quality of my stuff when i try to import images? Also with ALink.arc, how come the model.brres doesn't work with brawlbox? I would like to use brawlbox to import images to the brres then put the brres into the arc but i get a wierd error with the model.brres from Alink.arc that says something like "object reference not set to object" or something.

Lucif3r

Trophies
XP
Country
Why does the SZS modifier take a shit all over the quality of my stuff when i try to import images? Also with ALink.arc, how come the model.brres doesn't work with brawlbox? I would like to use brawlbox to import images to the brres then put the brres into the arc but i get a wierd error with the model.brres from Alink.arc that says something like "object reference not set to object" or something.

"object reference" is usually when you import an improper model (never had that issue with textures).
Make sure the images are in the proper format (I dont remember from the top of my head which formats BB accepts), no bigger than 512x512, and as small size as possible.
My textures have an average size of 110KB, which is roughly the same as the originals.

And regarding SZS Modifier. You have to be more specific. "take a shit" doesnt really explain the problem. I havnt had any problems with importing textures in SZS Modifier.

chaotix000

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Like after i get my texture all nice and ready for import i use the szs modifier and when i choose import the picture that it displays back has some missing or bleeding colors.

The way it's supposed to look
al_upbody.png

The way it turns out
messedup.jpg

meohsix

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
It probably has something to do with the file type it was saved as. the bottom picture is saved as a .jpg which is pretty crappy and can cause some artifacting effects, next time save your texture as a .png
i haven't had any problems with textures saved in that format.

chaotix000

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I save all of my textures as png when im done editing. thats just whathappened when i imported the png to szs modifier. also when i export from szs it saves as png so i dont get it. how can the file type change while its importing?

Lucif3r

Trophies
XP
Country
You have too much details in the image. The Wii only supports so many different color gradients (or rather, the games are programed to only use that many).
So when you import an image thats complex, it will get downscaled and lose some color information and the result will be what you showed.

I think the biggest reason yours gets so dramaticly 'damaged' though is that you seem to work with 32 bit depth. Try 24 instead.

Sanity's_The

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok now I'm getting around to this, but why can't I extract files from my NTSC scrubbed ISO? It gives me an io_read and decrypt read error whenever I try to extract files

Lucif3r

Trophies
XP
Country
cool ill give it a try thanks

EDIT: how do i do that? im using photoshop elements 7

No idea how you do that in Elements (I dont use that crap), but in the real PS you go to image -> mode -> set 8bits/channel. And dont save as Interlaced (if Elements even have that option).
You could also try to save it as .jpg. You lose some quality with jpg, but it wont be visible in-game.

fiveighteen

Distractible Dabbler
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
[quote name='Sanity's_Theif' timestamp='1323571696' post='4013973']
Ok now I'm getting around to this, but why can't I extract files from my NTSC scrubbed ISO? It gives me an io_read and decrypt read error whenever I try to extract files
[/quote]
Using WiiScrubber? Must be a bad ISO...I'm not sure why else it wouldn't.

Sanity's_The

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
[quote name='Summersett' timestamp='1323699807' post='4015882']
[quote name='Sanity's_Theif' timestamp='1323571696' post='4013973']
[/quote]
Using WiiScrubber? Must be a bad ISO...I'm not sure why else it wouldn't.
[/quote]

Yea I was using WiiScrubber, is there any other way? I don't know how to do it off the disc I have myself and I don't want to take a chance at screwing it up and making it unplayable

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/@legolambs