[GUIDE] NSMB2 Custom Levels & Mods (The Easier Way)

Discussion in '3DS - ROM Hacking, Translations and Utilities' started by Gimzie, Aug 6, 2016.

?

Was this guide easy to follow? / Did it work?

1. Easy to follow, but didn't work.

2. Easy to follow, and worked.

3. Not easy to follow, and didn't work.

4. Not easy to follow, but worked.

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Gimzie
    OP

Member Gimzie GBAtemp Regular

United States

DID YOU FOLLOW THIS GUIDE AND INSTALL A9LH ALREADY? UPDATE FROM THE OLD UNSUPPORTED A9LH TO THE FRESH NEW BOOT9STRAP WITH THIS: https://3ds.guide/updating-to-boot9strap

If you want to keep modding NSMB2, and use online stuff, I strongly recommend doing the Luma 7 method below, which will update-proof you forever.

This guide is for:
    - People who want to make custom levels/tilesets or a mod for NSMB2.

After following this guide, you should be able to know how to setup NSMB2, as well as edit, create, and play custom levels/mods.

FAQ - Frequently Asked Questions (PLEASE READ)

FAQ
    FAQ

What You Need

- A 3DS with access to the Homebrew Channel. Get it over at http://smealum.github.io/3ds/

- A copy of NSMB2, either digital or physical.

- Time.

- A computer. (Any OS)

Downloads
    (Download these before you follow the tutorial!)

Downloads
    Downloads

Setting NSMB2 up for Editing

Tutorial

Playing Your Levels/Mod
    There are three ways to play your NSMB2 levels/mod: HANS, Luma 7, and OnionFS.

Which one is right for me?

HANS - Those who don't want to fully mod their 3DS, but want to play NSMB2 mods.

This method requires basic copy and paste skills, and takes around 20 minutes of your time.

DOES NOT WORK ON 11.2, or 11.4!

HANS Method

Luma 7 - Those who want to completely mod their 3DS, have some spare time, and want maximum compatibility. This method involves setting up Boot9Strap, and after you install it, there is no turning back.

It also requires basic copy and paste skills, the ability to use a torrent client, and the ability to read everything over. It will take around 1.5 hours to complete.

TO USE THIS YOU NEED 11.3 OR BELOW, AFTER YOU INSTALL BOOT9STRAP IT WILL BE SAFE TO UPDATE!

Luma 7 Method

OnionFS - Those who want to completely mod their 3DS, have some spare time, and want maximum compatibility. This method involves setting up Boot9Strap, and after you install it, there is no turning back.

It also requires basic copy and paste skills, the ability to use a torrent client, and the ability to read everything over. It will take around 4 hours to complete.

TO USE THIS YOU NEED 11.3 OR BELOW, AFTER YOU INSTALL BOOT9STRAP IT WILL BE SAFE TO UPDATE!

OnionFS Method

Using CoinKiller
    I've made a basic tutorial on this over at the NSMB2 Hacking forums: http://nsmb2.us.to/board/thread.php?id=77

If you need the labelled world maps: http://nsmb2.us.to/board/thread.php?id=76

Hope this helped you delve into the world of NSMB2 modding! And if it did, please do consider voting at the top! :D

If you have any questions, no matter how noobish they are, we can answer them in our Discord server for NSMB2 modding, or the NSMB2 hacking forums (http://nsmb2.us.to/board/).

https://discord.gg/6nmSXXB

Last edited by Gimzie, May 23, 2017 at 1:44 AM

2. Returnofganon

Member Returnofganon Show ya moves

Korea, North
    Wow been wanting to do this! Thanks for the tutorial!

ivonov2002 likes this.
  3. iZackefx

Newcomer iZackefx Advanced Member

United States
    CoinKiller is by far way better than ReggieNext. It is able to edit literally anything in the game. (Backgrounds, Areas, Zones, Settings, etc.) as where ReggieNext cannot.

4. Gimzie
    OP

United States
    Is it also able to edit paths? As I could see that option in ReggieNext but not in CoinKiller.

5. iZackefx

Newcomer iZackefx Advanced Member

United States
    Yep. Progress paths/ Paths.

It even has a tileset editor.

6. Gimzie
    OP

United States
    Ah, did you compile from source? That might be why I don't have the latest features. I should compile it and post it here then.

7. Gimzie
    OP

United States
    Guide has now been almost redesigned, with simplicity and ease of use in mind.

Last edited by Gimzie, Dec 20, 2016
  8. Gimzie
    OP

United States
    Bump as more people should know about NSMB2 modding.

Returnofganon likes this.
  9. BuddyRoach

Newcomer BuddyRoach Member

United States
    I followed the steps exactly and even used the downloads provided instead of elsewhere and it did not work for me. When I load the hacked version of nsmb2 into hans, I get a message "invalidated icache". Does anyone know how to fix this?

10. BuddyRoach

United States
    I have been running through all of the steps of this tutorial on how to hack NSMB2 and play it on my 3ds. Here is my info:
    3ds Model: OLD 3DS XL, gold and black Zelda Triforce (Hyrule and LoRule edition)
    Region: USA (U)
    Firmware version: 11.2.0-35U
    Hax method: soundhax-usa-o3ds

Here is my process:
    I load the Nintendo 3DS sound app and play the soundhax file. It boots into Homebrew. I go to braindump and I dump my cartridge of NSMB2. Good. End up with a folder containing the exefs.bin and romfs.bin files in it. I transfer those to my PC. I use RomFS Extractor to extract romfs.bin. It creates a romfs_ folder with all of the game's data. I use CoinKiller to edit level 1. Save. Then I use RomFS Builder to build that folder back into a .bin file and I name it 0007AE00.romfs because my game title ID is 0007AE00 for the nsmb2 regular american version. I put this 0007AE00.romfs file into an empty folder on the ROOT of my SD card called "hans". Turn on my 3DS. Boot soundhax into homebrew. Open Hans. Select nsmb2. Hold L button as hans boots. Get to option screen. set romfs to YES. Hit ok to run. Then I get an "invalidated icache" error. I tried running the game through hans without anything selected, just play the game normally with no hacks, but I still get this error message.

PS: I even tried using a hex editor to removed the first 4096 bytes from the file and same thing happens. This is very frustrating. All I want to do is edit levels and play them. Thats all. I dont care about models, textures, music or messages. I like NSMB2's resources and have always wanted to take advantage of them. Please help.

Any idea why this is happening? Thanks in advanced.

Last edited by BuddyRoach, Jan 18, 2017
  11. maorninja

Member maorninja GBAtemp Fan

United States
    BTW, if CoinKiller doesn't work, Reggie! Next includes support for NSMB2, and if all you want is a simple level editor and not a full NSMB2 hacking tool, like NSMBe, use Reggie! Next.

12. BuddyRoach

United States
    CoinKillwe does work though. As far as I know. Its just getting Hans to run the rom hack. It wont. Hans wont even just run the cartridge game normally without anything installed.

13. Gimzie
    OP

United States
    I think this might have something to do with Soundhax. Maybe try using a different homebrew entrypoint? If you don't have access to another entrypoint, maybe try redownloading the Homebrew Starter Kit.

Nobody should use Reggie! Next, because it doesn't work with everything in the levels.

14. BuddyRoach

United States
    Could you possibly make a tutorial on how to run nsmb2 hacks on layersFS?

15. Gimzie
    OP

United States
    I will update the guide with an OnionFS option later today. (Like LayeredFS, but better)

Remember that you need to have A9LH though. Just use http://3ds.guide if you haven't already. ^w^

16. BuddyRoach

United States
    what is A9LH?

17. Gimzie
    OP

United States
    A9LH stands for Arm9LoaderHax. It's a full system mod of your 3DS, and you can't use NTR (For OnionFS/LayeredFS) without it. You can do other cool things too:

- Region locking disabled
    - You can install "backups"
    - You can record gameplay without a capture card on N3DS (good internet is needed)
    - You can install anything to the HOME Menu
    - You can run lots of mods
    - You can overclock on N3DS
    - You can mess with save data and that kind of stuff

A noob friendly guide is up at http://3ds.guide . All you need is an SD Card, a 3DS, and basic copy/paste skills.

18. BuddyRoach

United States
    and this guide is up to date as of today? as well as everything it tells me to download?

19. Gimzie
    OP

United States
    It's always up to date. When Luma3DS was attacked and it went down, the guide maintainer was quick to provide alternate links, and changed them back when it was back up.

20. BuddyRoach

United States
    thats cool. ok im going through the guide. i just booted into Decrypt9WIP. the guide says i should have backed up user tickets. Is it too late to do that? Or will I get a chance past this point?