[Guide] Noob guide to Wii U hacking

Discussion in 'Wii U - Hacking & Backup Loaders' started by Kafluke, Nov 29, 2016.

1. Cyan

Cyan GBATemp's lurking knight

Global Moderator
    Oct 27, 2002
    France
    Engine room, learning
    Maybe she meant the information about the DNS IP ?
    I don't think it's useful to mention that it also work on japanese console, as it works on ALL consoles.

2. Kate0012

Kate0012 Member

Newcomer
    Dec 31, 2017
    Canada
    Sorry I meant "details".

Nah, I was talking about adding some brief details of modding a Japanese version Wii U. Thought it might be useful. Although everything is pretty much the same.

Last edited by Kate0012, Jan 9, 2018
  3. Belmondo

Belmondo GBAtemp Regular

Jul 24, 2007
    New Zealand
    I have a NTSC wii U i have installed haxchi CBHC, I thought doing this hack made the wii u region free? but when I try and boot up my PAL copy of fatal frame It says this disc is not supported.

Anyone have any idea why this is?

Cheers

4. TheTechGenius

TheTechGenius </Web Dev>

Apr 7, 2017
    United States
    It does make the Wii U region free, but only for digital titles, not physical copies. For that you would need a mod chip or a true custom firmware. That's why most people call Haxchi a mini custom firmware, because it lacks some of the advanced features of other custom firmware for other consoles.

Just download a copy of the game from USB Helper and install it with WUP Installer.

godreborn likes this.
  5. Kate0012

Kate0012 Member

Newcomer
    Dec 31, 2017
    Canada
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think it's been possible to go region free without a "hard modding"? I remember on Xbox360, you'd still have to open up the case and do some soldering. Would a true custom firmware let you bypass the region lock?

6. Belmondo

Belmondo GBAtemp Regular

Jul 24, 2007
    New Zealand
    ah ok I thought It was possible

https://gbatemp.net/threads/release-ourloader-region-free-disk-loader.444803/

I saw this thread ages ago and just made the assumption that haxchi cfw could do the same natively.

7. Cyan

Cyan GBATemp's lurking knight

Global Moderator
    Oct 27, 2002
    France
    Engine room, learning
    "you need a modchip" -> why would you need one ? and none exist anyway, so it's strange to base your affirmation on something nonexistent. a modchip's feature in another console doesn't mean all modchip have the same features in all consoles.
    "or a true custom firmware" -> CBHC and Haxchi are "true" in a sense. it would do the exact same thing than having the fw.img replaced on NAND like other consoles (you think only about Playstation and Xbox?), except it's done at boot. no differences would be visible if it's replaced on NAND, patched on boot in memory (cbhc), patched manually in memory (haxchi, signpatcher, etc.), or reloaded from external (firmware booter). at the end, the fw.img is identical, there's no "true" one or "false" one. patches and features are all the same. maybe you base your affirmation on the way other console's CFW are installed on the console and replace official files (someone tried that for the NDS), but CFW is just an official firmware with patches. it's very rare to get a "real" custom firmware, most if not all of them are only modified existing firmwares.

There is a region free disc loader (linked above).
    and even if CBHC and haxchi unlock the region free, it doesn't allow ALL games from all region. Some games still need Spiik to edit dynamic folder selection by games before playing a game from another region.
    Maybe you can try (CB)Haxchi+Spiik with the disc, I don't know if it works and is enough or not.

Last edited by Cyan, Jan 10, 2018
  8. Skanker

Skanker Newbie

Newcomer
    Jan 10, 2018
    United States
    Is it possible to back-up the sysNand to a USB stick or USB External HD or does it have to be an SD Card?

9. Kafluke
    OP

Kafluke GBAtemp Psycho!

May 6, 2006
    United States
    SD only

10. zonte9000

zonte9000 Newbie

Newcomer
    Friday
    Portugal
    Hello everyone. I recently tried to play some wii u games and tried this method. Unfortunately I must have made some kind of mistake during any of these steps. I made everything from step 1 to 4 (just didn't try to install a game still). But when I download a game that said that CFW was required, I made the change in the .txt file as said in step 5.

After this change Haxchi stopped loading.

I then proceed to go back to step 2 of this guide to make haxchi working again. Unfortunately, when I get to the Exploit step my wii u freezes and I must force it to shut down.

What should I do? What I'm I missing?
    (Should I just clean my SD Card and start all over?)

Sorry for my bad english.

Last edited by zonte9000, Jan 12, 2018 at 1:41 AM
  11. jeannotte

jeannotte GBAtemp Regular

Jun 15, 2016
    France
    Hello,

Format your SD again in fat 32 and test again. ;)

zonte9000 likes this.
  12. Kafluke
    OP

Kafluke GBAtemp Psycho!

May 6, 2006
    United States
    Simply making a change to the config file shouldn't hurt anything because you have to reinstall HaxChi for it to take effect. What does your config look like?

zonte9000 likes this.
  13. zonte9000

zonte9000 Newbie

Newcomer
    Friday
    Portugal
    Not sure if you want to know this. My config .txt file has this info now (after reinstalling Haxchi without a formatted SD Card):

"a=fw.img
    b=sysmenu
    default=wiiu/apps/homebrew_launcher/homebrew_launcher.elf"

I'll try and restart the process from the beggining with a formatted SD Card. But I don't get what I did wrong on step 5 (CFW's). I just changed the config.txt file as you say in the guide but Haxchi doesn't load.

I'm going to try again.

Thanks in advance, I was worried that this would Brick my WiiU.

14. heraymo

heraymo Member

Newcomer
    Jun 23, 2010
    United States
    wish you could use a switch controller on the wii-u

15. Kafluke
    OP

Kafluke GBAtemp Psycho!

May 6, 2006
    United States
    No brick risks with HaxChi. Only CBHC

zonte9000 likes this.
  16. 1alien1

1alien1 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Aug 26, 2013
    Gambia, The
    can i move the games which i installed on a usb drive via wup installer to the internal nand via original data management or doesnt it work?

17. godreborn

godreborn GBAtemp Psycho!

Oct 10, 2009
    United States
    yes.

1alien1 likes this.
  18. HyeVltg3

HyeVltg3 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Aug 19, 2012
    Canada
    Guys I'm trying to follow this guide: https://wiiu.guide/homebrew-launcher-(channel)
    This step to be exact:
    I first tried to goto Data Management to Move the Installer over but its not in the list to I attempted to Install to "USB" and I get the below
    https://i.imgur.com/pDA2j5E.jpg

Last edited by HyeVltg3, Jan 13, 2018 at 1:45 AM
  19. zonte9000

zonte9000 Newbie

Newcomer
    Friday
    Portugal
    Hi again.

Another thing that I noticed after crashing was that my purchased game disappeared from the WiiU menu. And I can't reinstall it or aaccess it. Is it normal?

20. godreborn

godreborn GBAtemp Psycho!

Oct 10, 2009
    United States
    unlike the 3DS, I believe games on the wii u will still be visible on the home screen even if no ticket exists. you might delete it manually here: usb01/usr/title/00050000/title id minus the 00050000 prefix. if it's on the internal flash, change usb01 to mlc01. you can find the title id on the title key site. though, the game may be trapp3d in the version,bin, and you'd have to hex it out. I can't recall where that file is located.

zonte9000 likes this.