[Guide] Noob guide to Wii U hacking

Discussion in 'Wii U - Hacking & Backup Loaders' started by Kafluke, Nov 29, 2016.

1. Kafluke
    OP

Kafluke GBAtemp Psycho!

May 6, 2006
    United States
    The Wii U only supports up to USB 2.0. Your drive will just run at USB 2.0 speeds but it doesn't have a USB 3.0 port so it can't power the drive over one cable like a USB 3.0 port on a computer would

2. vladik4kides

vladik4kides Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Sep 27, 2015
    Oh and what about usb flash drivers (not hdd but you know those little usb flash drives)? I have one which is 32GB and its USB 3.0 aswell, so does it need any cable or wii u can power it?

3. Messers

Messers Newbie

Newcomer
    Jul 18, 2006
    Netherlands
    Hey guys, I've got a question regarding the region of GameCube games. Is it possible to play ntsc GC games on a pal console?
    And if so, how do I switch region in WiiU usb helper? Right now it searches for a pal iso to create the install files.

4. godreborn

godreborn GBAtemp Psycho!

Oct 10, 2009
    United States
    it may or may not work properly. it's the wii u that's the problem, so I'd strongly suggest you buy one.

5. vladik4kides

Newcomer
    Sep 27, 2015
    Yeah, I noticed that. When I was transferring minecraft from nand to this hdd well everything was working good but then it clicked and (i guess its kind of reset?) wii u turned off and showed error screen. And can I use 32 GB usb 3.0 FLASH drive at least until I buy y-cable?

6. godreborn

Oct 10, 2009
    United States
    don't know how well flash drives work. it's not really worth using one that small though. the biggest wii u game is around 25GBs.

7. vladik4kides

Newcomer
    Sep 27, 2015
    Well I have no other choice until my y cable ships :v

8. Aardeee

Aardeee Member

Newcomer
    Nov 28, 2017
    Netherlands
    When I plug my harddrive into the Wii U with the Y-kabel, it starts beeping very loudly and there comes a -3 on the gamepad + the wii U. What could it be?

Edit; I fixed it. I had it wrongly connected. The usb had to be vice versa.!

Last edited by Aardeee, Dec 5, 2017
  9. godreborn

Oct 10, 2009
    United States
    -3 means something is wrong with the sd card (usually) unless this is happening randomly or not when accessing the sd card.

10. Aardeee

Aardeee Member

Newcomer
    Nov 28, 2017
    Netherlands
    And, I succeeded to download my first game and play it; Mario Party 10. Very much thank you for this wonderful guide, I couldn't have done it without it. Thank you sooooooooo much!!!!!!! And thanks for the people who helped me answer my noob questions. Omg, thank you soooooooo much!!! I couldn't be happier!

Kafluke likes this.
  11. Nimrod-002

Nimrod-002 GBAtemp Regular

Dec 8, 2016
    Morocco
    Mario Party 10? i hope you're not playing it alone. and Mario Party 9 is better.

12. Aardeee

Aardeee Member

Newcomer
    Nov 28, 2017
    Netherlands
    Noo, haha. Going to play it with my mother! :P I'm kinda dissapointed you can't roam freely on your own anymore, but you have to be in that car thingy though!

13. Kafluke
    OP

Kafluke GBAtemp Psycho!

May 6, 2006
    United States
    I couldn't agree more. The car ruined it for my fam. It's like playing monopoly but everyone moves when you move. Wait... that could be interesting.

Aardeee likes this.
  14. HaWkEyE07

HaWkEyE07 Newbie

Newcomer
    Dec 6, 2017
    Canada
    Hello,

Thanks for posting this guide, I have been playing around for a couple month trying to get things working the way I want on my WiiU. Im at the point where I just want to start fresh, and start fresh using this guide, a Factory Reset the Wii U and freshly formatted SD card. I currently have Cold Boot Installd CBHC. I understand formatting with this installed is a BIG no no. I have found a few articles about just uninstalling the CBHC but is that all.. nothing about if it is ok to format after that. Is this the case? Just unistall CBHC HBL>CBHC>select game>B to unistall.. then it is consider safe to factory reset?

Last edited by HaWkEyE07, Dec 6, 2017
  15. superbob

superbob GBAtemp Regular

Jan 30, 2008
    France
    Toulouse, France
    Great tutorial. I had 2 difficulties, though :

1. When running SleepiiHax/StupiidHax on step 6b, I didn't understood what tells if it works or not. Info on this page was crucial for me to understand that I had to wait for 3 Z's to appear on the Mii and reboot the console when it had crashed (I needed 4 attempts to make it work). I think it should be nice to have this info on step 6b, or provide the link to the page I was referring to.
    2. SD card formatting issues : I bought a 64GB SD card that was formatted to extFAT and tried it as is but it didn't work, having the "SD mount failed" error message. It seems that 32+GB SD cards give difficulties, even when formatting to FAT32. It is not as simple as it seems. I found solutions on this french forum. Especially I had to use GuiFormat tool with 64kb clusters/block size. Maybe it would be nice to say explicitly that exFAT is a no go and to give the recommended block size/cluster of 64kb (65536) when formatting SD cards with a size > 32GB.

Thanks anyway, the tutorial was great.

16. Kafluke
    OP

Kafluke GBAtemp Psycho!

May 6, 2006
    United States
    It says right at the beginning of the guide in the "what you'll need" section that you have to have a fat32 formatted SD and gives you a link to the tool that will do it for you.

IMO that should be enough. I told you what works and I shouldnt need to spell out all the multiple types of file systems that won't work (including exfat). Theres also ntfs, ext3, ext4 and others. I try and keep it direct with explicit instructions.

If I say right in the beginning of the guide that you need to use a specific tool to format your SD to fat32 why would anybody assume that exfat would work?

TheTechGenius likes this.
  17. Aardeee

Aardeee Member

Newcomer
    Nov 28, 2017
    Netherlands
    Hiii, one more quesstion, I constantly get a message I should update the game, is there a way to get rid of the message?

18. godreborn

Oct 10, 2009
    United States
    why don't you update? it won't harm the system. I'm not sure if you can get rid of the nag. even if you've blocked updates, the nag will still occur but error when downloading.

19. Kafluke
    OP

Kafluke GBAtemp Psycho!

May 6, 2006
    United States
    as @godreborn said, if you have HaxChi just update your system to 5.5.2. If you are a user that constantly uses BrowserHax and you don't want to update then focus on updating the game instead. You can either use NNU Patcher to updated the game normally through the eshop or you can use Wii U USB Helper to download the latest update for the game and install it the same way that you installed the game.

20. gazhdmi

gazhdmi Newbie

Newcomer
    Dec 6, 2017
    United States
    Hi. So I bought a used Wii U. I installed Homebrew and Mocha CFW. I used USB helper to load 2 games (that I own as disks but don't read anymore) onto an SD card, and then loaded them onto my Wii U. That is all I want to do...Can I delete Homebrew and Mocha now, or will I lose the games? If I don't block my DNS could I lose the games? And, do digital Wii u games need to be automatically updated periodically to remain playable?

Thank you for any help you can offer!