[Guide] Noob guide to Wii U hacking

Discussion in 'Wii U - Hacking & Backup Loaders' started by Kafluke, Nov 29, 2016.

1. godreborn

godreborn GBAtemp Psycho!

Oct 10, 2009
    United States
    you can use the same hdd as the wii. there's nothing else required. the vWii must be hacked though. I use the same hdd on my vWii along with a switcher to switch to my normal wii if need be. :) hacking the vWii isn't really that time consuming actually. it might take 10 minutes or less. more than that if you backup the NAND (really slow) and each IOS (I'd recommend doing both).

Last edited by godreborn, Oct 9, 2017

2. lwiz

lwiz Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Sep 23, 2012
    Finland
    WiiU has its own proprietary format, so different external hard drives are needed for WiiU and vWii/gamecube. There are ways of using just one drive, but those aren't for regular users worth the extra hassle in my opinion.

3. godreborn

Oct 10, 2009
    United States
    the only way to use the same drive is mocha, but it's a pita. you first have to install the app to a wii u formatted drive to record the game in the metadata indexer, then, you have to transfer the game to a fat32 drive. it's not worth it really due to the amount of time involved.

btw, you may want to use ustealth on the drive to prevent the nag by the wii u for it to be formatted. you'll need a compatible backup manager like usb loader gx to read the drive. you can either do that, use a toggle switch, or leave the drive unplugged unless you're going to use it (while in the vWii only). the same holds true for the toggle switch - don't flip the switch to on unless in the vWii.

4. titaniuml

titaniuml Advanced Member

Newcomer
    May 27, 2015
    Hmm. I've read in the guide that I can't use the same games format that works on the Wii.

5. godreborn

Oct 10, 2009
    United States
    I think the guide might be outdated. I'm pretty sure you can use the same hdd, but you're going to have to have one drive in wii u format to transfer the game or just redownload it, then decrypt it to the right folder. I don't know for sure if this is true, but it kinda defeats the purpose of using fat32 unless you're backing up games.

6. titaniuml

titaniuml Advanced Member

Newcomer
    May 27, 2015
    This is the guide I'm referring to: https://wiiu.guide/vwii-modding

7. godreborn

Oct 10, 2009
    United States
    supposedly, that guide is outdated which is why people suggest you don't use it. you may try @Kafluke 's guide. I don't know if there's anything about mocha in there since he suggests cbhc. mocha is sorta irrelevant at this point unless you want to take a stab at fat32 usage or redNAND, but I wouldn't recommend it. even if you're backing up the games, it would probably be faster just to reinstall the games if your drive fails. you may be able to transfer games between a wii u formatted drive and a fat32 one using the mocha version of ftpiiu everywhere though, but I don't really know.

titaniuml likes this.
  8. matruka

matruka Member

Newcomer
    Oct 9, 2017
    Germany
    I plan on installing haxchi and the cold boot method tomorrow on a fresh wiiu on 5.5.2. I will follow this guide and purchase a legit ds game.
    How important is backuping the sysnand? What are the chances that something goes wrong and i will brick the wiiu?

did i get this right? if something fails there is no way to unbrick the wiiu except of the teensy 2.0 method? so there isn't like a hardreset, or a combination of buttons to reset the wiiu to stock?

also one more question: i will use the WUP Installer Method... what is the process to install games that have dlc's and updates? do i first install the game, then the update, then the dlc? or do these things install automatically with the game?

Last edited by matruka, Oct 9, 2017
  9. godreborn

Oct 10, 2009
    United States
    it's best to back up the sysNAND. the mlc is set to no by default since it's the biggest part. that's the internal storage. it will be a different size if you have an 8GB system as opposed to a 32GB one. it will also be dumped in chunks. use the copy /b command to merge the files.

edit: here's the full command (assuming your using a 32GB, change accordingly if using an 8GB system): copy /b mlc.bin.part01 + mlc.bin.part02 + mlc.bin.part03 + mlc.bin.part04 + mlc.bin.part05 + mlc.bin.part06 + mlc.bin.part07 + mlc.bin.part08 + mlc.bin.part09 + mlc.bin.part10 + mlc.bin.part11 + mlc.bin.part12 + mlc.bin.part13 + mlc.bin.part14 + mlc.bin.part15

edit 2: you may have an mlc.bin.part16 if your NAND is 29.7GBs. 29.1GBs if the other. I don't know if there's a different 8GB one. you can tell by the color of the wii u. black = 32GBs; white = 8GBs I believe.

matruka likes this.
  10. matruka

matruka Member

Newcomer
    Oct 9, 2017
    Germany
    thanks, i use a 8gb wiiu. ok do i backup the sysNand after i've installed haxchi?
    also could you provide me an answer to my 2nd question from the post above?

11. godreborn

Oct 10, 2009
    United States
    yes.

afaik, it doesn't matter. I'd go with game + update + dlc to be safe, 'cause I don't know for sure.

edit: tbh, I think the dlc goes in a separate folder, so changes are made in real-time. I think it does with loadiine at least.

matruka likes this.
  12. matruka

matruka Member

Newcomer
    Oct 9, 2017
    Germany
    ok cool. i'm a noob in that matter sry.

one more question: do the sd card with all the files has to be all the time plugged in in the wiiu for the CBHC method? Or can i remove the SD card after i completed everything up to CBHC?

13. godreborn

Oct 10, 2009
    United States
    you can remove it if going into sysMEnu, but apps like the homebrew channel require it to be in or you'll get a - (minus) error. it won't hurt the system, but you'll have to power it off to get back. you can set sysMenu by default, so it will say "autobooting" each time you turn on the system depending on your selection in the initial menu.

14. Kafluke
    OP

Kafluke GBAtemp Psycho!

May 6, 2006
    United States
    I have full instructions for Mocha in my guide.

godreborn likes this.
  15. matruka

matruka Member

Newcomer
    Oct 9, 2017
    Germany
    thanks for the help mate. so i will just keep this one sd card in my wiiu permanently.

godreborn likes this.
  16. Boss69

Boss69 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jul 6, 2017
    United States
    Ohio
    Is there any possible way to open mii maker with TCPGecko installed?

17. xraven13

xraven13 GBAtemp Regular

Dec 11, 2009
    Croatia
    Is this definitely good enough to block the updates? After setting, the internet connection still works fine, but if there would be an update, it wouldn't pull it? Why?

18. Kafluke
    OP

Kafluke GBAtemp Psycho!

May 6, 2006
    United States
    Because those DNS servers are purposefully set up to block the Nintendo update servers but they don't block online play or regular internet

19. xraven13

xraven13 GBAtemp Regular

Dec 11, 2009
    Croatia
    It seems it also blocks game updates? Also, there is an option in Wii U settings for disabling firmware updates, that doesn't work by itself?

20. matruka

matruka Member

Newcomer
    Oct 9, 2017
    Germany
    do those DNS also block individual game updates?